Are there any usable/ stable distros for PBP?
(10-22-2022, 02:55 AM)poVoq Wrote: You somehow messed up your Manjaro config. Sleep and hibernate was working last time I checked. Sounds more like it isn't hibernating at all and then discharges the battery completely.

As for "proprietary looking charge cable" you mean the barrel jack connector? That's about as non-proprietary and standard as it gets, you can literally buy them in any hardware store.
How could I mess it up on config on 2 installs? First was stock, 2nd was latest PBP version from Manjaro website booted from SD, what are the chances..... Oh I see barrel yeah, why didnt they just use USB C? (jus wondering if you know, curious)

Ironically the quote button isnt working here I see some kind of "void(0)Java" on the lower left part of the screen, and I just tried 2 different browsers, its like pine64 is always trying to make you a developer! So I will use reply function...

(10-22-2022, 03:57 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Do be careful though; it seems that charging from both USB-C and the barrel jack at the same time can destroy the charging circuit.

Good advice, I think I tried this for a few seconds once, annoyed with slow charging time. USB C turbo charging would be nice like how the phones have. Wonder why include the barrel charger at all when can just use USB C. Could have added an extra USB port without it?
Prior products all use the same power connector. Frankly I'm glad it has it, though I don't have any other Pine64 products yet.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
I've been following along with the PBP for months now since getting mine last summer. I'm also searching for a stable OS and I've got the latest manjaro ARM and while sure it's stable I'm having some trouble with sleep and wifi similar to other users. see https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17539 for some useful info on the status of sleep and its related problems on PBP. I've only ever found one OS that did sleep properly and that was mrFixit's Debian image but there were some modifications to the browser on it that made it unusable for me because I wasn't aware of how to undo it. The sleep problem has nothing to do with PEBCAK, it's a hardware issue that I haven't seen a clear answer for yet.
(01-16-2023, 03:50 PM)ehcorn Wrote: The sleep problem has nothing to do with PEBCAK, it's a hardware issue that I haven't seen a clear answer for yet.

Well it's software support for the hardware, but I won't split hairs. Smile

Have you tried Armbian?
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
PEBCAK, is maybe a bit harsh... managed to c0ck up my manjaro install while updating within weeks of receiving my PBP.
Not a tweaker/tuner that keeps messing with the sys. For my purpose Kali better suits my needs Smile

Managed to break Kali as well somewhere along the line.
(04-01-2023, 03:31 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 03:50 PM)ehcorn Wrote: The sleep problem has nothing to do with PEBCAK, it's a hardware issue that I haven't  seen a clear answer for yet.

Well it's software support for the hardware, but I won't split hairs.  Smile

Have you tried Armbian?

Up until a few weeks ago, hadn't tried armbian however I can't stress enough that for those of us that do this as a hobby and aren't as well learned, armbian has been incredibly simple to just get working. I've got a 2022 model, sleep works, 5ghz wifi kinda works (still better than any other distro I've tried) and everything else (including GPU acceleration) appears to be working. so yup, +1 for armbian! Also, running with the default firmware and loader from the OS, no tow-boot
I think if you've got issues with Manjaro, it would be best to check with their forum as well. In my case they were nice and quick. If the issue has been resolved over there, you can always post a link here. 

As for charging, I indeed usually charge over USB-C. At this point these cables are probably most readily available and I also feel charging works better like that. It doesn't charge at higher voltages than 5V and it seems not to draw a current higher than 2.3A or so so yeah, there are devices out there that charge faster than this. I don't recall myself ever being in such a hurry but if you have any powerbank kicking around, you could always take that along to give you a few more hours of time when in a pinch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Video Out on PBP on all major distros misha64 9 2,562 11-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro PBP stable update 2022-06-19 bricked wpeckham 2 1,576 06-30-2022, 10:03 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Network stacks no longer works on PBP - all distros IT-That-uses-Linux 0 1,311 08-03-2021, 01:15 PM
Last Post: IT-That-uses-Linux
  [Panfrost] now support stable OpenGL ES 3.1 rimaille 0 1,997 06-10-2021, 11:23 PM
Last Post: rimaille