Prevent problems with overheating
Hello,

in the mobian section, there's a thread about overheating and how to edit thermal zone values.
I want to apply lower values to the thermal zones of postmarketos, too.

The current values are:

Code:
pine64-pinephone:~$ grep . /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_*_temp
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp:75000
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp:90000
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp:110000

On mobian, the values can be changed like this:

Code:
echo -e "class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp = 40000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp = 50000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp = 60000" | sudo tee /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf

Since there is no file /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf on the PMOS system I'd like to know, where to write these values. Or does this file need to be created?

Thanks!
(09-10-2022, 08:43 AM)jojuma Wrote: Hello,

in the mobian section, there's a thread about overheating and how to edit thermal zone values.
I want to apply lower values to the thermal zones of postmarketos, too.

The current values are:

Code:
pine64-pinephone:~$ grep . /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_*_temp
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp:75000
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp:90000
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp:110000

On mobian, the values can be changed like this:

Code:
echo -e "class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp = 40000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp = 50000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp = 60000" | sudo tee /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf

Since there is no file /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf on the PMOS system I'd like to know, where to write these values. Or does this file need to be created?

Thanks!

I was curious if you are running Postmarket Plasma?
The reason I ask is because I have noted that the phone is quite a bit warmer than PMOS Phosh.
This heat is apparent when I am plugged into the dock using mouse keyboard and monitor.
On my other phone I use Arch Phosh and there is no such heat issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
I am running Phosh.
When the phone is plugged in and in use, it gets pretty hot.
That was also the case with Mobian (Phosh), but changing the temperature trip points solved this for me...

Maybe it's a Phosh thing?

Unfortunately I haven't figured out yet, how to change the temperature trip points on PostmarketOS (Phosh)...
I think that regardless of the o.s. being used when plugged into dock it may get a little warmer.
However I have noticed that Postmarket Plasma gets very hot and I tend to equate this too o.s. causing the processors to work much harder.
When I use Arch Linux Phosh on the dock it only gets barely warm after using it for an hour.
I don't understand how a passively cooled device can be altered for temperature except to stop certain processor activities.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.