Can't boot when SD card inserted
TL;DR I'm experiencing this issue but with the Pinebook Pro and the solution outlined there isn't helping me: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6819

So I've recently upgraded the eMMC in my Pinebook Pro to 128 GB, and I wanted to use an SD card as the home partition. I've partitioned it as the following:

Code:
Lambda /etc # parted /dev/mmcblk1
GNU Parted 3.5
Using /dev/mmcblk1
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p                                                               
Model: SD SD256 (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name     Flags
1      1049kB  256GB  256GB  f2fs         primary

(parted)

I've formatted /dev/mmcblk1p1 as f2fs, and added a line for it in /etc/fstab, but if I reboot the Pinebook with the SD inserted, I get a black screen, and the power LED stays red. If I boot with it removed, it boots from eMMC just fine, and if I re-insert it quickly enough it's mounted as desired.

This is a minor inconvenience, though, so I'd like to get to the bottom of why it's happening, or at least figure out how I might be able to fix it.

I'd previously flashed (using dd) the latest Armbian image to this particular SD card that I'm using, so prior to making the partition table, I zeroed out the first MiB to attempt to get rid of any sort of U-Boot data.

So, what do I need to do to have my Pinebook Pro boot to eMMC in the case that the inserted SD card isn't meant to be bootable? (I'd still like to be able to "rescue" my system by removing the one containing the home partition and inserting a bootable SD in its place.)
I strongly suspect that uboot does NOT know how to deal with f2fs,
and tries repeatedly to read it (and fails)
uboot is looking for boot.scr OR extlinux.conf OR aarch64.efi in
/ (in correct path) or boot of medium
Try a card formated ext2
(09-05-2022, 07:28 AM)wdt Wrote: I strongly suspect that uboot does NOT know how to deal with f2fs,
and tries repeatedly to read it (and fails)
uboot is looking for boot.scr OR extlinux.conf OR aarch64.efi in
/ (in correct path)  or boot of medium
Try a card formated ext2

Thank you for the info and suggestion.

The day after I opened this thread, it started booting more-or-less fine. I had a moment where the power LED was flashing and the PBP wasn't accepting any input, but I did a hard reset and since then I've gone a week without any issues. Didn't need to reformat the card as ext2 or ext4.

I've been trying to figure out what I _did_ to get it to work, so that I can give a better solution to anyone else who might run into this problem, but I've been unsuccessful in doing so. For now, I'm marking this as solved.
Thanks for feed-back
Most interesting that uboot can read f2fs
Personally, I have had to do hard reset more than a dozen times......
(pwr button,, +20s)
Mine is a virgin, the back has never been off,,
but do check that the screws are not loose after a few months

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 629 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 233 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 562 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 514 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,068 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,668 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  New Pinebook pro won’t boot Generaltuxenburg 4 1,801 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Tongue Yet another Pinebook Pro won't boot thread pinemouth 4 2,262 05-20-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: jackwilson