Now way to implement push notifications ?
Hello,
Playing with Pinephone I have just realised, that the only way to receive real time communication like calls and messages is over GSM service. VoIP and internet messengers will not work, because when phone gets suspended - operating system goes offline and if you disable power saving feature - keeping the system all the time online, the battery will be consumed within a few hours. 
What i have researched is that the only ability of crust is to wake up the system, being triggered by GSM call or SMS and in the best case you can manage periodic wake up for syncing services like email. Does this mean that there is no way and there is no view for the future that pinephone will be usable for real time internet communication, for example push service awakes the system and let the app to pickup incoming VoIP call or IM message ?
It might be worth asking the open source modem firmware devs about this, similar to https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...issues/137

There's also WoWLAN which might be useful in some scenarios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMlACfEO0A
And no single comment on git over month since that question was asked...
I think there are 2 milestones that would make the phone usable as a SMARTphone. 
First is real and realtime push notification system - otherwise you are not online as you 
used to be using android or ios. Second and also important is mobile oriented UI for
linux apps. Desktop versions are not to handy on mobile.  Right now the phone is like raspberry weared in touch screen and GSM modem.
So i have asked the question and the answer is that this can not be resolved on modem level, because modem firmware can only wake up the phone, but there is no communication with apps, so there is no way to trigger particular app for certain action after wake up. On Android and IOS system is not being suspended, but goes to low power consumption mode and it looks like the only right solution would be to build linux kernel that will last on battery without being suspended.
You're assuming the hardware is capable of such a low power mode. AFAIK the A64 isn't, being an old and generic thing not a heavily-optimized-for-phone new one. The other OSes are also very picky about what they allow to run in background, and often stop wifi when 'sleeping' which limits use as a local SIP client.