No USB and Ethernet
See https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/5661

tl;dr: I bought rp64 in like 2021 and did few tests on it mainly running Armbian and NixOS to see if everything works during which it was powered on for around 6 hours max with everything working fine as far as i can remember [https://github.com/Mic92/nixos-aarch64-images/issues/3].

Then i put it in a box without power for around a year and now i am trying to use it for further development, but i can't get USB and Ethernet to work on armbian, debian, DietPi and Manjaro images which leads me to suspect hardware damage -> Is there a way to diagnose what/if is wrong with it so that i can fix it? (I have experience with fixing and fabricating hardware i can do microsolder, reballing and make simple PCBs)

Attached Files
.txt   dmesg.txt (Size: 46.08 KB / Downloads: 146)
Are you booting from SD. What USB peripherals have you connected to the board. What power supply are you using. What I do suggest is burning an image of LibreELEC to an SD card and trying that. It's a compact OS, boots quickly and will allow you to test both USB and Ethernet ports quite quickly.

Here's a link to the image download. Make sure you select the RockPro64 image. https://libreelec.tv/downloads/rockchip/
(08-15-2022, 05:34 AM)Rocklobster Wrote: Are you booting from SD. What USB peripherals have you connected to the board. What power supply are you using. What I do suggest is burning an image of LibreELEC to an SD card and trying that. It's a compact OS, boots quickly and will allow you to test both USB and Ethernet ports quite quickly.

Here's a link to the image download. Make sure you select the RockPro64 image. https://libreelec.tv/downloads/rockchip/
  •  As per the reference given;-- Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower): Lab PSU set on 12.0VDC with limit of 5A
  1. -- Connect the sdcard and invoke sudo dd if=path/to/DietPi_ROCKPro64-ARMv8-Bullseye.img of=/dev/DEVICE conv=sync status=progress && sync to install the OS on the sdcard
1A seems like pretty skimpy power.  RPi usually runs reliably with 3A.

Why disable SPI?  ... "There is a second possibility to jumper your ROCKPro64: If you mess-up your SPI and are unable to boot, jumpering pins 23 (CLK) and 25 pin (GND) on the PI-2-bus header will disable the SPI as a boot device. You have to remove the jumper 2 seconds after having started your RP64 (before the white LED turns ON) otherwise the SPI will be missing and you won't be able to flash it. Ayufan images contain (at the moment) only one script for the SPI and the RP64, it's "rockpro64_reset_spi_flash". Other SPI scripts are dedicated to the R64 (as it is written on the name) and it will mess-up your RP64 SPI if you use them."

Have you tested WITHOUT this?

When it's running for awhile, to the WiFi-BT module and the USB chip get warm at all  (or overheat)?  I've had USB go out when chip overheats without heat sink.  Are all the USB ports tested?
(08-15-2022, 05:34 AM)Rocklobster Wrote: Are you booting from SD. What USB peripherals have you connected to the board. What power supply are you using. What I do suggest is burning an image of LibreELEC to an SD card and trying that. It's a compact OS, boots quickly and will allow you to test both USB and Ethernet ports quite quickly.

LibreELEC seems to be stuck at init phase as i don't get any login window or ability to do any input (see log)

Power used: Lab PSU set on 12.3VDC with limit of 5A

The board hangs with 12.3VDC0.45A, LED lit, fan spinning

EDIT: Was just connecting a USB Keyboard to the board

(08-15-2022, 02:38 PM)Zoroaster-Z Wrote:

•  As per the reference given;-- Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower): Lab PSU set on 12.0VDC with limit of 5A
  1. -- Connect the sdcard and invoke sudo dd if=path/to/DietPi_ROCKPro64-ARMv8-Bullseye.img of=/dev/DEVICE conv=sync status=progress && sync to install the OS on the sdcard
1A seems like pretty skimpy power.  RPi usually runs reliably with 3A.

Why disable SPI?  ... "There is a second possibility to jumper your ROCKPro64: If you mess-up your SPI and are unable to boot, jumpering pins 23 (CLK) and 25 pin (GND) on the PI-2-bus header will disable the SPI as a boot device. You have to remove the jumper 2 seconds after having started your RP64 (before the white LED turns ON) otherwise the SPI will be missing and you won't be able to flash it. Ayufan images contain (at the moment) only one script for the SPI and the RP64, it's "rockpro64_reset_spi_flash". Other SPI scripts are dedicated to the R64 (as it is written on the name) and it will mess-up your RP64 SPI if you use them."

Have you tested WITHOUT this?

When it's running for awhile, to the WiFi-BT module and the USB chip get warm at all  (or overheat)?  I've had USB go out when chip overheats without heat sink.  Are all the USB ports tested?

The pin 23<->25 is bridged to use the bootloader on the SD Card, disconnecting pin 25 after bootloader phase doesn't seem to influence the result

EDIT: Disabling SPI so that it uses the bootloader on the SDCard as the SPI has a generic u-boot for RockPro64 on it

EDIT: Dunno where the USB chip is, all USB ports tested none of them working

Attached Files
.log   libreelec.log (Size: 7.74 KB / Downloads: 98)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad RockPro64 with OpenMediaVault - Ethernet card is not recognized eduapof 8 11,813 04-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Last Post: g_t_j
  Extremely low write speed on GB ethernet omer811 2 4,167 10-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Last Post: omer811
  rock64pro - using gigabit ethernet dongle on usb type C dkebler 2 3,219 09-07-2018, 12:41 AM
Last Post: steamiestoyster