New issue with phone calls
Is anyone having issues with phone calls being on the wrong audio profile and because of that you cant hear the person who called. At first I thought it was modem related as I am running the community firmware for the modem but it seems when I answer sometimes it stays in "Play HiFi quality music" sound profile and if I go into sound settings and change the sound profile to "Make a phone call" it allows me to hear the caller and be heard proper.

Is there a faster way to change audio profiles via command line so maybe I can make a script to switch fast as it seems inconsistent sometimes when I answer the phone the profile changes properly other times it does not and I need to open settings and change the profile.

This issue seems to be newer for me.
(08-04-2022, 08:59 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Is anyone having issues with phone calls being on the wrong audio profile and because of that you cant hear the person who called. At first I thought it was modem related as I am running the community firmware for the modem but it seems when I answer sometimes it stays in "Play HiFi quality music" sound profile and if I go into sound settings and change the sound profile to "Make a phone call" it allows me to hear the caller and be heard proper.

Is there a faster way to change audio profiles via command line so maybe I can make a script to switch fast as it seems inconsistent sometimes when I answer the phone the profile changes properly other times it does not and I need to open settings and change the profile.

That issue you are telling is not new; I have been watching it from a few months ago. The problem I've been noticing is after answering a phone call, in the sound menu, it displays "internal earpiece" instead of "internal speaker". And this happens randomly, anytime, too. The problem is when this happens it change to "internal earpiece" suddenly, and the sound when someone call or something is imperceptible.

Maybe there is no solution until developers get it.
It happens nearly every call. The output might be 'dummy output' or indifferent settings between earpiece and microphone. If settings are indifferent log out and back in again as that might fix it. In any other case reboot device. Sometimes an outright crash where are fields are blank - reboot. It's a hit and miss scenario where sometimes I receive a call and immediately make a call right after and it works .... that's a good day.
Smile
If it helps there is no such issue with PMOS stable and PP Beta.
I have one Pinephone for testing/developing and I am trying Manjaro Phosh currently - it feels much "snappier" when you are using it but all regular phone functionalities are (much) less stable.
(08-09-2022, 01:57 PM)Gon Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 08:59 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Is anyone having issues with phone calls being on the wrong audio profile and because of that you cant hear the person who called. At first I thought it was modem related as I am running the community firmware for the modem but it seems when I answer sometimes it stays in "Play HiFi quality music" sound profile and if I go into sound settings and change the sound profile to "Make a phone call" it allows me to hear the caller and be heard proper.

That issue you are telling is not new; I have been watching it from a few months ago. The problem I've been noticing is after answering a phone call, in the sound menu, it displays "internal earpiece" instead of "internal speaker". And this happens randomly, anytime, too. The problem is when this happens it change to "internal earpiece" suddenly, and the sound when someone call or something is imperceptible.

Maybe there is no solution until developers get it.

Interesting post market does not have the same phone issues

I saw that the audio profile changes randomly to the wrong profile I am wondering how these can be changed via command line because I am thinking a script that listens to ModemManger for when a call is received and when it is hung up could switch the audio profile for you and be a hacky solution. I believe journalctl could tail ModemManager but I dont seem to find to much info on how to either reset and or change the audio profiles

This whole not being able to answer calls then re starting to get audio working correctly is a bit of a pain.
I tried hard to reproduce it here, but was unsuccessful.
I kept the Settings -> Sound opened and monitored the situation.
Every time a call was answered it switched to Port: Internal earpiece with Profile: Make a phone call and when the call was ended (tried both sides) it switched back to Port: Internal speaker with Profile: Play HiFi quality music...
Manjaro Plamo beta 12 with available updates here.
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300
(08-10-2022, 06:29 AM)acrux Wrote: I tried hard to reproduce it here, but was unsuccessful.
I kept the Settings -> Sound opened and monitored the situation.
Every time a call was answered it switched to Port: Internal earpiece with Profile: Make a phone call and when the call was ended (tried both sides) it switched back to Port: Internal speaker with Profile: Play HiFi quality music...
Manjaro Plamo beta 12 with available updates here.

Did microphone work both ways? Receive call and then send call?
Thats where I find the problem in that I lose the mic on second call.
Arch Linux Phosh.
@acrux  You are using plasma mobile seems me and @Chief are on Phosh.

Is plasma mobile stable enough for daily use? Last I checked Plasma mobile could not update properly and had a bunch of bugs making it impossible to daily drive.
(08-10-2022, 05:28 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Is plasma mobile stable enough for daily use?

No, PinePhone is not intended to use in a "daily use". Only if you define your own "daily use" criteria, that matches the current state of PinePhone + some OS for it  Big Grin . To read my experince with PinePhone + PlaMo - see the link in my posts signature Wink .
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300
(08-10-2022, 05:28 PM)kmsgli Wrote: @acrux  You are using plasma mobile seems me and @Chief are on Phosh.

Is plasma mobile stable enough for daily use? Last I checked Plasma mobile could not update properly and had a bunch of bugs making it impossible to daily drive.

Last time I tried Plasma it didn't work at all. The tool bar would separate between phone and monitor and would never return to phone. As I use my device daily on monitor this makes Plasma unusable for me. Phosh to date has been the most stable in my opinion. Because of the sound/microphone issue with Pine I have a BlackBerry Classic always around ready to go for emergencies like pizza delivery (lol)
I just tested my Pine and BlackBerry with two separate sims and phoned back and forth and today it works. However if I make a call to another phone number with another carrier it may not work and that's where the sound settings get messed up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  systemic issue pinephone penguins_rule 1 157 03-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 1 109 03-21-2024, 07:30 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  New phone, KDE desktop settings reset on reboot zzb0 2 1,652 10-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to create folders and re-org my phone desktop? A better "Image Viewer" app? nbh 0 469 09-24-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Calls/Texts and External Monitor gregb49 0 609 06-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,073 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,618 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Internal Microphone issue during calls Viktor 6 2,324 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Viktor
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,222 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Call waiting issue kmsgli 22 14,194 06-24-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: kmsgli