Problematic WiFi Adaptor
Hi Everyone,

Has anybody had problem getting WiFi to work consistently? I can connect to my home router and use it for about 5 minutes, but then it seems to error out and disconnect. This presents as a signal-strength kind of issue, but that seems ridiculous when the phone is sitting within 4 ft of the router and none of my other devices (in other rooms) are having problems. Though, I was able to connect to a guest WiFi in a public area and things seemed to work consistently.

Does anybody have any ideas? Could my little NetGear router be bumping my device off for some reason? If any body else has had this problem I'd love to hear if you solved it.

Thanks
(07-30-2022, 04:06 PM)natomon01 Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Has anybody had problem getting WiFi to work consistently? I can connect to my home router and use it for about 5 minutes, but then it seems to error out and disconnect. This presents as a signal-strength kind of issue, but that seems ridiculous when the phone is sitting within 4 ft of the router and none of my other devices (in other rooms) are having problems. Though, I was able to connect to a guest WiFi in a public area and things seemed to work consistently.

Does anybody have any ideas? Could my little NetGear router be bumping my device off for some reason? If any body else has had this problem I'd love to hear if you solved it.

Thanks

Please always tell which distro, which kernel, tow-boot, open modem firmware etc..

After 5 minutes PPP goes to deep sleep and turns off wifi as well, maybe this is the case you are facing.
I've tried at least 3 distros:
1. Manjaro - KDE Plasma (Default w Uboot)
2. Arch - Phosh (Uboot or TowBoot)
3. Mobian - Phosh (TowBoot)
There seems to be differing presentations of this issue on the various distros. Though, in the end it all boils down to the same thing: no consistent WiFi-connection. The device actually doesn't seem to acknowledge the loss-of-connection that it's experiencing until everything grinds to a halt. I have seen what you're suggesting on the sleep/suspend function, but when that occurs it's simply a matter of waiting for it to reconnect.

Though in light of the problems I had with my home WiFi, I bought a new router. This one is capable of 5.0 Ghz. Thus far the 5.0 Ghz-connectivity seems consistent, but the 2.4 Ghz band-channels either error out or are disregarded entirely (depending on the distro). I think this has to do with either the WiFi hardware of the PPP or the driver that governs the 2.4 Ghz WiFi channels.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone pro packet injection for internal wifi chipset covar 1 765 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: fxc