Cannot update new PinePhone Pro
I just received my PinePhone Pro. The phone says there are 298 available updates. When I try to update through the app (not the command line), the update fails but does not give an error code. I would be grateful for any help with this. Thanks.
(07-27-2022, 12:19 PM)bent Wrote: I just received my PinePhone Pro. The phone says there are 298 available updates. When I try to update through the app (not the command line), the update fails but does not give an error code. I would be grateful for any help with this. Thanks.

I got my phone today, and you and I are in the same boat.  
I tried, updating through the command line and honestly, wasn't much better for me.  
I hesitate completing the upgrade through the command line for two reasons: 
One, there's a question as to whether i want to replace kwayland with eatra/kwin and
Two, i get a lot of signature failures on packages.  I tried switching mirrors 3 times (each one i pick at random) and I still get the same result.

This is an even worse first day experience for me than the original Pinephone.
Had the same issue with my new phone received a few days ago, applied the mallet from CLI in an attempt to fix it and managed to frag the OS in eMMC badly enough that the UI wouldn't load. Loaded tow-boot from SD and have since installed Mobian to eMMC and tried a couple other distros from SD. I've had no trouble updating the various other installs. Have to conclude the OS as shipped has an issue. Not tough to work around once tow-boot is installed.
I had the same issue too. I was able to upgrade from the command line by following these steps: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/543389

I don't know if this is a good solution though. It looks like the PGP keys are out of date but the `pacman-key` commands don't seem to fix it.
(07-29-2022, 08:05 PM)jdoxey Wrote: I had the same issue too. I was able to upgrade from the command line by following these steps: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/543389

I don't know if this is a good solution though. It looks like the PGP keys are out of date but the `pacman-key` commands don't seem to fix it.

It did allow me to do the update, so thanks for that!

However, in retrospect, I'm not sure if the end result is a net positive.

I noticed that in a previous post, another user had went with No to swap kwayland and broke the lock screen.  So I went with Yes instead.  I don't think the lock screen is working correctly.  It *sometimes* works.  But others it doesn't show up, then if I turn the screen off, and on again... it brings me to a standard desktop login screen.
The discover app search functionality freezes the app.  So i now have to find any app i want to install using the categories and finding it manually.
Another problem… My new Pro is not installing updates, the error message is “invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)”.
I’m looking for a good fix.

Thanks
Hi all and welcome!

I am assuming that your devices have been shipped after june 2022 (if not please read wiki link above)

Pinephone Pro comes with kind of outdated Manjaro Plasma preinstalled.
As we speak it is known that there are issues with updating that particular preinstalled version of Manjaro Plasma - maybe these issues were not known when your Pinephone Pros were manufactured. I don't know but do not worry there is solution.

You have really cool device with you and the coolest part is that you can install whatever OS you want to it.
Don't be afraid it is designed like this - it is really really really hard to brick this device.

I suggest you to read this:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro

TLDR and just want quick fix?
1. Open your computer and Download latest postmarketOS Phosh stable installer image from here:
https://images.postmarketos.org/bpo/v22....0514-0505/
2. Boot your Pinephone Pro and press volume up same time - it will vibrate and boot to black screen and blue led is constantly on.
3. Plug your PPP to your computer with USB cord
4. Flash the postmarketOS Phosh stable installer image you downloaded to your PPP using for example Gnome Disks
5. After flash boot your PPP and follow the installer instructions
6. Enjoy working PPP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,464 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices Ulfnic 60 43,517 02-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: fxc
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 742 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 879 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Arch SXMO Stopped Booting After A Megi Linux Update. mburns 0 416 11-07-2023, 09:52 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 633 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Mobian Phosh Gnome Software Is Recommending A Broken Update. mburns 0 545 10-14-2023, 11:57 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,631 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 18,753 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,382 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady