Serial Output Garbage after initial messages
Hi, 

I've been trying for 3 days to get an linux image to boot on my RockPro64 without any success. I followed the initial sticky forum message and ended up waiting a day for 0% downloaded from various servers. 

Then I found the latest daily images and used a boot installer by concatenating the FW and partition, and burning the img to an SD in linux with dd. I cant seem to get a new single partition SD card to boot, I only had success with an SD I had used with my Pi - that has 3 or 4 partitions on it.

Anyway the new May 2022 installer got to 100%, then I got a flashing cursor where I could type, rebooted and back to the installer again.  Also, has anyone actually got a RockPro64 to install Debian and boot to it in the last 3 months ? If so, was there anything you had to do apart from create the SD image, answers the installer questions and let it install ? 

For the serial UART output, I watch it with 115200 baud, and I can see the initial messages, then it starts outputting garbage. Any reason it switches like that ? Is the first part the rom/boot at 115200, and then does the baud rate change when its running the installer ? 

NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 23:34:19, May 13 2022
INFO:    GICv3 with legacy support detected.
INFO:    ARM GICv3 driver initialized in EL3
INFO:    Maximum SPI INTID supported: 287
INFO:    plat_rockchip_pmu_init(1624): pd status 3e
INFO:    BL31: Initializing runtime services
INFO:    BL31: cortex_a53: CPU workaround for 855873 was applied
WARNING: BL31: cortex_a53: CPU workaround for 1530924 was missing!
INFO:    BL31: Preparing for EL3 exit to normal world
INFO:    Entry point address = 0x200000
INFO:    SPSR = 0x3c9
⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮_O⸮bWWG⸮_GG_⸮f⸮⸮⸮G⸮c⸮"gGGG^gGG⸮⸮GoW_WW⸮O⸮WWF⸮_Ww⸮ݾ_⸮⸮⸮^⸮gW_gG_wo⸮GE⸮OOO}_fWWVGfDWFg_⸮FWF/⸮NFND⸮VgFFF⸮oWFGowFgoFGGF'O⸮⸮^____O⸮FG⸮gǮ⸮ϧDoOn⸮/F⸮F_fooW⸮NngDwDFFD_⸮FFogO⸮&G_FF_⸮WFFWnFFDWGFWFGFW⸮⸮W⸮FGGFGFFGGD⸮WFFFGDFFGGWF⸮FFDfFfDGWF⸮FWWF⸮FnW_ooGOFGw^Wo⸮n⸮v⸮FOFg_FnDNFF_g⸮_FOODWOOFO_"F⸮V⸮V⸮FV^GW.FgOV^D⸮⸮FVfOOD⸮W⸮O⸮OoG⸮MgFg⸮O~_g⸮⸮F/D_/F⸮g⸮e>⸮FWGF^GbFg_⸮FG⸮⸮F⸮G_F⸮⸮F\_FOf_G⸮nFO_bOOfF⸮⸮G_b__OF⸮_FGGF_⸮⸮VFDG⸮⸮GF⸮⸮FOFg⸮⸮FFGO_fF_F⸮⸮⸮⸮FW_O⸮DOWO7W⸮⸮oD⸮DFGFGD⸮O⸮WN/Fw⸮⸮F⸮G/o⸮w⸮wODG⸮wOGNF⸮⸮Wf_o⸮F_o^^/VF/⸮wFGwGwFGG⸮⸮FOF?FWGWWWWVWoWN"NG^gF"Vo"FW6o6oWG⸮W6ogV__R__VW⸮VOg⸮_7FO⸮_⸮f⸮⸮vWOFg'_nw⸮⸮⸮OnF⸮⸮V⸮⸮VFW_~⸮FG_⸮F&⸮nF⸮nFTGOn⸮⸮g⸮^G'N'O⸮G_⸮⸮GFOWNo>o"f7_oGF_⸮TgO⸮VoW⸮⸮G^F_^GN^⸮N__GFoOFGNF_⸮o⸮FGf_fWf_ofO⸮f⸮⸮dw⸮⸮gW_⸮⸮⸮⸮NGddOFnG⸮gVF⸮⸮FGOFGVWO^GOFWVOgFgOF⸮GnGFnF⸮GFGF⸮⸮g_g_⸮⸮oG_g_GV_w_wO⸮Gg⸮⸮VOvWG_WV_OOOTGoOGoO⸮GwGGLNWWVW⸮OvF^gT⸮WVG⸮O⸮G⸮⸮V⸮wFw⸮V⸮^⸮oG⸮⸮GVGOG⸮GWVOGN⸮wVB⸮VwOO⸮o⸮DG⸮GGBWf_oODGW⸮⸮GWFGGGWoOGTGdNoGG⸮D⸮NOOGFOGGWoFGoNf⸮NoGFgFogG⸮G⸮⸮'7⸮FfMOTogϯ_⸮FFFFFFF⸮FFFF⸮FDFF⸮⸮⸮FFFF⸮DF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFnFF⸮>^FDFFNvFF~^F&N>FF⸮⸮vFF^F⸮NfffFF^FF⸮>D⸮^FFNvF&NFvNF&^Fv⸮tFF⸮F&F⸮⸮F.>ffFFF⸮vF&F⸮NFNG^F^FN⸮tN>FN⸮FNF⸮N⸮F⸮vff.⸮FG^FfFNN⸮F.fFv⸮F>F⸮f^FNFN^F>F^G⸮F&ff&f⸮F⸮⸮⸮lN⸮fNVfN&⸮fGf⸮N.⸮^vGv⸮v⸮GF⸮⸮f$⸮vG⸮N>^^⸮GVf⸮f⸮GG^⸮⸮n⸮NFFF⸮FFvFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFFF⸮FFFFDFFDF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFF^FFFFFFFFFFFFDFFFFFFFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFF⸮FFFFF⸮FFfFF⸮FFF&⸮FFFDDFFFFFFFFFF⸮FFFFFF⸮FF⸮FFFvFFFFFFFFFF&FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF⸮^FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFDFFvFFFFFF^FFFFFFFDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFDFFFDFFF^_OwO&W_G.FFFFF.FFFFFFN⸮FFFFFFFFFF&FF⸮FFF⸮⸮F^FDd⸮FFFFFFf>FFFF&FFFF.FFFDF&OFNVF.^^GNfF⸮vV.⸮v
(07-06-2022, 12:31 AM)jamforlunch Wrote: Hi, 

I've been trying for 3 days to get an linux image to boot on my RockPro64 without any success. I followed the initial sticky forum message and ended up waiting a day for 0% downloaded from various servers. 

Then I found the latest daily images and used a boot installer by concatenating the FW and partition, and burning the img to an SD in linux with dd. I cant seem to get a new single partition SD card to boot, I only had success with an SD I had used with my Pi - that has 3 or 4 partitions on it.

Anyway the new May 2022 installer got to 100%, then I got a flashing cursor where I could type, rebooted and back to the installer again.  Also, has anyone actually got a RockPro64 to install Debian and boot to it in the last 3 months ? If so, was there anything you had to do apart from create the SD image, answers the installer questions and let it install ? 

For the serial UART output, I watch it with 115200 baud, and I can see the initial messages, then it starts outputting garbage. Any reason it switches like that ? Is the first part the rom/boot at 115200, and then does the baud rate change when its running the installer ? 

⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮_O⸮bWWG⸮_GG_⸮f⸮⸮⸮G⸮c⸮"gGGG^gGG⸮⸮GoW_WW⸮O⸮WWF⸮_Ww⸮ݾ_⸮⸮⸮^⸮gW_gG_wo⸮GE⸮OOO}_fWWVGfDWFg_⸮FWF/⸮NFND⸮VgFFF⸮oWFGowFgoFGGF'O⸮⸮^____O⸮FG⸮gǮ⸮ϧDoOn⸮/F⸮F_fooW⸮NngDwDFFD_⸮FFogO⸮&G_FF_⸮WFFWnFFDWGFWFGFW⸮⸮W⸮FGGFGFFGGD⸮WFFFGDFFGGWF⸮FFDfFfDGWF⸮FWWF⸮FnW_ooGOFGw^Wo⸮n⸮v⸮FOFg_FnDNFF_g⸮_FOODWOOFO_"F⸮V⸮V⸮FV^GW.FgOV^D⸮⸮FVfOOD⸮W⸮O⸮OoG⸮MgFg⸮O~_g⸮⸮F/D_/F⸮g⸮e>⸮FWGF^GbFg_⸮FG⸮⸮F⸮G_F⸮⸮F\_FOf_G⸮nFO_bOOfF⸮⸮G_b__OF⸮_FGGF_⸮⸮VFDG⸮⸮GF⸮⸮FOFg⸮⸮FFGO_fF_F⸮⸮⸮⸮FW_O⸮DOWO7W⸮⸮oD⸮DFGFGD⸮O⸮WN/Fw⸮⸮F⸮G/o⸮w⸮wODG⸮wOGNF⸮⸮Wf_o⸮F_o^^/VF/⸮wFGwGwFGG⸮⸮FOF?FWGWWWWVWoWN"NG^gF"Vo"FW6o6oWG⸮W6ogV__R__VW⸮VOg⸮_7FO⸮_⸮f⸮⸮vWOFg'_nw⸮⸮⸮OnF⸮⸮V⸮⸮VFW_~⸮FG_⸮F&⸮nF⸮nFTGOn⸮⸮g⸮^G'N'O⸮G_⸮⸮GFOWNo>o"f7_oGF_⸮TgO⸮VoW⸮⸮G^F_^GN^⸮N__GFoOFGNF_⸮o⸮FGf_fWf_ofO⸮f⸮⸮dw⸮⸮gW_⸮⸮⸮⸮NGddOFnG⸮gVF⸮⸮FGOFGVWO^GOFWVOgFgOF⸮GnGFnF⸮GFGF⸮⸮g_g_⸮⸮oG_g_GV_w_wO⸮Gg⸮⸮VOvWG_WV_OOOTGoOGoO⸮GwGGLNWWVW⸮OvF^gT⸮WVG⸮O⸮G⸮⸮V⸮wFw⸮V⸮^⸮oG⸮⸮GVGOG⸮GWVOGN⸮wVB⸮VwOO⸮o⸮DG⸮GGBWf_oODGW⸮⸮GWFGGGWoOGTGdNoGG⸮D⸮NOOGFOGGWoFGoNf⸮NoGFgFogG⸮G⸮⸮'7⸮FfMOTogϯ_⸮FFFFFFF⸮FFFF⸮FDFF⸮⸮⸮FFFF⸮DF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFnFF⸮>^FDFFNvFF~^F&N>FF⸮⸮vFF^F⸮NfffFF^FF⸮>D⸮^FFNvF&NFvNF&^Fv⸮tFF⸮F&F⸮⸮F.>ffFFF⸮vF&F⸮NFNG^F^FN⸮tN>FN⸮FNF⸮N⸮F⸮vff.⸮FG^FfFNN⸮F.fFv⸮F>F⸮f^FNFN^F>F^G⸮F&ff&f⸮F⸮⸮⸮lN⸮fNVfN&⸮fGf⸮N.⸮^vGv⸮v⸮GF⸮⸮f$⸮vG⸮N>^^⸮GVf⸮f⸮GG^⸮⸮n⸮NFFF⸮FFvFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFFF⸮FFFFDFFDF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFF^FFFFFFFFFFFFDFFFFFFFF⸮FFFF⸮FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFF⸮FFFFF⸮FFfFF⸮FFF&⸮FFFDDFFFFFFFFFF⸮FFFFFF⸮FF⸮FFFvFFFFFFFFFF&FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF⸮^FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFDFFvFFFFFF^FFFFFFFDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFDFFFDFFF^_OwO&W_G.FFFFF.FFFFFFN⸮FFFFFFFFFF&FF⸮FFF⸮⸮F^FDd⸮FFFFFFf>FFFF&FFFF.FFFDF&OFNVF.^^GNfF⸮vV.⸮v

U-Boot and the OS can have different baudrates, try 1500000 if you want to read the second part.
(07-06-2022, 05:43 AM)fxc Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 12:31 AM)jamforlunch Wrote: Hi, 

U-Boot and the OS can have different baudrates, try 1500000 if you want to read the second part.

Thanks for the info, changing the board rate didnt work though. Now I have switched to using a Debian install from mr fixit - its an old kernel version 4 from 2019 - but its the only one I got working. 

Do you know if the latest Debian works on the RockPro64 - with all its peripherals ?
The Debian installer does not install 'boot-loader (u-boot)'.
In addition, the partitioning tools included with the Debian installer
It also does not reserve space for installing 'boot-loader'.

In short, following the installer's instructions(recommended) does not create bootable media,
and if you try to install 'boot-loader (u-boot)' later, you don't even have space for it.

It's unclear what the '...The latest daily images used...' you claim specifically refers to,
but the above symptoms are the same for both 'Bullseye' or 'Bookworm '.
---
'...baud rate 115200...',
and
About the following message

If you haven't installed a boot loader on your eMMC or SPI-Flash, the problem above is probably the wreckage of trying with a 'Ras-Pi'.

---
Creating an independently bootable media image requires some ingenuity to avoid the above issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No HDMI output on monitor but HDMI works on TV archamin 1 2,043 09-15-2021, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LMM
  Change Baudrate for Built-On Serial R0b0t1 1 2,973 10-04-2020, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Gienek
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,687 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Serial communcation with USB to serial(DB9) cable rahulsharma 6 6,735 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Last Post: martinayotte
  u-boot serial port speed? zener 2 3,988 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Last Post: zener