Phone is unresponsive
(06-30-2022, 03:32 AM)albafrati Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 05:23 PM)theneedful Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 06:50 PM)albafrati Wrote: If you already followed fxc hint without success you cold try to charge battery with external charger. I could manage to charge many batteries using a voltage and current controlled power supply. If you choose 4.1V and 300-500mA values you should succeed in charging. If the phone won't start with battery charged there must be something broken on the phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a charger you can recommend? Cheaper the better. I'm working on a budget. ?

AFAIK there's not a specific charger that can host that battery. As I wrote you can try with a desk power supply, there are many on any market starting fron about 50€. Anyway you have to build something to connect to the battery contacts.
this is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RNT1CD/ref...k_detail_3?

Thanks, albafrati. I have one of those. I guess I'm still a little green on the electronics discipline to confidently charge it correctly. (Last thing I want is a battery blowing up in my face.)  Tongue

(06-30-2022, 03:46 AM)lot378 Wrote: Pine64 battery charger for PinePhone battery $4.99

See: https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-battery-charger/

(TBH "on a budget" words incompatible with splurging on a $399 Pinephone Pro, or due diligence that should accompany such a purchase i.e. knowing there is a charger sold from the same store as the phone, that can be bought at the same time.)

To me, "on a budget" simply means that I put aside $n to work on this project. Thus, this project is "on a budget". 
This device is part of a larger project that, if it works, I'd like to keep the product cost effective. 
Also, I had ordered the chargers from the website. I'm still waiting on them to be delivered.

(06-30-2022, 01:09 PM)fxc Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 05:23 PM)theneedful Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 06:50 PM)albafrati Wrote: If you already followed fxc hint without success you cold try to charge battery with external charger. I could manage to charge many batteries using a voltage and current controlled power supply. If you choose 4.1V and 300-500mA values you should succeed in charging. If the phone won't start with battery charged there must be something broken on the phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a charger you can recommend? Cheaper the better. I'm working on a budget. ?

Mind that it is possible that the battery is completely flat, such batteries don't like getting fully drained. On the wiki there are some compatible batteries listed, which you can order from Amazon, Ebay etc., which might be worth a try.
That's a good point. Thanks for the reminder. 
I'm just waiting on the chargers I ordered to get here. I'm hoping everyone is right and the battery is dead. Though, I'm not sure why the phone will not charge the battery via USB-C port. 
Is there something I need to keep in mind with the type of USB-C wire or something? I read through the manuals, but maybe I'm missing that crucial piece of info to tell me where things went wrong. 

thanks again for the help.
(07-04-2022, 01:16 PM)theneedful Wrote: That's a good point. Thanks for the reminder. 
I'm just waiting on the chargers I ordered to get here. I'm hoping everyone is right and the battery is dead. Though, I'm not sure why the phone will not charge the battery via USB-C port. 
Is there something I need to keep in mind with the type of USB-C wire or something? I read through the manuals, but maybe I'm missing that crucial piece of info to tell me where things went wrong. 

thanks again for the help.

No special charger or cable required. A regular phone charger with 5V and preferably something like 2A or more (chargers with 0.5 A or 1A are not sufficient for modern phones) will do. Orientation or order of events also won't play a role, but you need to charge the phone in Maskrom mode if it is fully flat. Only plugging it in won't be sufficient, you need to confirm with "lsusb" if Maskrom mode is running after holding the RE key at boot.
Yeah the 5V is important, it must be a high enough voltage... For me I had to charge the battery with one of these (https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-battery-charger/) but... It took me forever to realize that I had to plug the cable into a wall adapter that would supply enough voltage. There's an adapter I received from Pine64 and I used that, plugging in the wall adapter --> to the cable --> to the external charger. But this is not the right way, because the wall adapter having multiple ports, splits the charge. It has to be 1 single-port wall charger (or female USB port) --> cable --> external battery charger.

The other thing I had to realize is that the light has to at least turn red (green is full charge), to indicate a charge. If the light is off, it is not charging! The solution is to get enough volts to charge it, because it won't take a 2 or 3 volt! I'm telling ya'll so you don't worry.

For the time being, my phone being a Braveheart, it's the only way I know to bring it back on from a complete discharge. I might figure out another way. TLDR the phone is not dead. Blush
(08-11-2022, 11:30 AM)auanta Wrote: Yeah the 5V is important, it must be a high enough voltage... For me I had to charge the battery with one of these (https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-battery-charger/) but... It took me forever to realize that I had to plug the cable into a wall adapter that would supply enough voltage. There's an adapter I received from Pine64 and I used that, plugging in the wall adapter --> to the cable --> to the external charger. But this is not the right way, because the wall adapter having multiple ports, splits the charge. It has to be 1 single-port wall charger (or female USB port) --> cable --> external battery charger.

The other thing I had to realize is that the light has to at least turn red (green is full charge), to indicate a charge. If the light is off, it is not charging! The solution is to get enough volts to charge it, because it won't take a 2 or 3 volt! I'm telling ya'll so you don't worry.

For the time being, my phone being a Braveheart, it's the only way I know to bring it back on from a complete discharge. I might figure out another way. TLDR the phone is not dead. Blush

Undervoltage is dangerous, the charger needs to have 5 V. But I think you mean the amperage here, the amperage is variable and you should charge it with more than 0.5 A. Your Braveheart Edition is draining the battery while the phone is turned off due to a hardware bug (https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_1...rdware_Fix), later revisions are not affected. If it gets fully drained again you can put Jumpdrive on a microSD card, boot that and let it charge there.
(08-11-2022, 02:42 PM)fxc Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 11:30 AM)auanta Wrote: Yeah the 5V is important, it must be a high enough voltage... For me I had to charge the battery with one of these (https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-battery-charger/) but... It took me forever to realize that I had to plug the cable into a wall adapter that would supply enough voltage. There's an adapter I received from Pine64 and I used that, plugging in the wall adapter --> to the cable --> to the external charger. But this is not the right way, because the wall adapter having multiple ports, splits the charge. It has to be 1 single-port wall charger (or female USB port) --> cable --> external battery charger.

Undervoltage is dangerous, the charger needs to have 5 V. But I think you mean the amperage here, the amperage is variable and you should charge it with more than 0.5 A. Your Braveheart Edition is draining the battery while the phone is turned off due to a hardware bug (https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_1...rdware_Fix), later revisions are not affected. If it gets fully drained again you can put Jumpdrive on a microSD card, boot that and let it charge there.

GOT IT WORKING AGAIN!
I finally got the package I order to charge the battery and the phone is back up and working again. Thanks for the help everyone! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,370 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 916 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,546 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,291 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end vortex 29 25,483 01-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: eugenr
Shocked Pine phone caught on fire after inserting SDcard majikbear 6 3,476 12-01-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: ryo
  Battery phone case expected? Cpm 1 2,021 08-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: 33YN2
  Pine Phone Battery Issue vslash 21 18,272 08-09-2021, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mouffa