Google Chromecast and PinePhone?
We now have a PinePhone with LibreOffice, mini usb keyboard and mouse which are working, a  Aliexpress usb-c adapter which works only with a usb desktop mouse to this date. Whe miss a connection to a HDMI monitor.

To found a solution, we found a high quality Google Chromecast 3 hdmi adapter plugged in our HDMI monitor, which was left from our last experiments for a stable connection of a Galaxy S5 to a HDMI monitor, which was successful. It was connected over an Android App to the HDMI monitor.

Is it possible to connect the  Google Chromecast 3 do the PinePhone, and if so, how can this be done?
The Chromecast dongle seems to be a solid hardware product with a WIFI connection to the streaming device, with many software options.

I had problems with a Galaxy S5, which I used for many years, and had it connected to a Bluetooth keyboard an mouse and to a HDMI monitor.

I found a HDMI to mini usb 2 adapter on Aliexpress with a second cable for additional power which worked fine for quiet a long time.

Then I bought another adapter, which the same configuration, but universal usb-plug. It had a micro chip installed which required the installation of an Android app to work. I installed the app, but it did not work.

The 3. trial was a Chromecast, which has a lot of software support, and worked over the Android app.

I am a bit sceptical about hdmi multi purpose adapters plugged into the micro usb connector:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16799

If you are lucky, you find one, which works. But what if not? To test all the adapters through until you find one which works for you software and hardware setup?

I found this GITHUB project for the Chromecast dongle (Gnomecast):

https://github.com/keredson/gnomecast

I found this instruction here:

https://www.linux-community.de/ausgaben/...gnomecast/

and there are others. The above showed that it is possible to install some Gnome extensions to stream music, video pictures to a Chromecast stick on a HDMI screen.

Whether this works for screen mirroring I don t know.

I did also a first test to install Waydroid on my PinePhone PostmarketOS, but failed. There I suppose it should be possible to install the Chromecast apps in the Google store, which there are several available.

All these options are time consuming, and probably options for Linux enthousiasts.

But before some tests all available micro-usb to HDMI to work with their specific software and hardware configuration, the chromecast might be an option to look at.
How does one use a chromecast without getting Google involved?
I got one and tried to put a custom ROM onto it, but even with an unlocker loaded on an arduino I was unable to get the custom ROM uploaded.
Even then it seemed it needed to be involved with Google to get it to interface, though the custom ROM(android based if I recall) allowed hacking the scripting if required.
It seems that the chromecast, with the Google remote configuration method, brings the anti-privacy problems of a 'smart TV' in easily portable form.
I have no issue with a WiFi streaming video bridge but I want to have full and private control; no involving an outgoing connection to Samsung, Google, Facebook, Apple, Xiaomi, Huwai, or another company or government who wants to see what I am doing with my TV.
I have tried a USB-C - HDMI adapter and while Mobian is not really set up for dual monitors I am pretty sure it could be set up to mirror the phone screen with a little .conf file editing.
Thanks for sharing your experience with hacking the Chromecast.

Congratiulations that you found a USB-C - HDMI adapter did works. I was not as lucky as you. Maybe there is another WIFI HDMI streaming adapter without a big brother who wants to know everything about you?
A PinePhone with a Google Chromecast and Google apps running on Waydroid is still a hope for desperates who cannot connect their PinePhone to a HDMI monitor, which needs to be tested and could be solid and stable, even when big brother is watching what you are watching on your HDMI screen.
In Ubuntu screen mirroring with a Chromecast and Chrome browser seem to work. With a Chome browser and Chromecast plugin screen mirroring from a Google Chromecast seem to work on (Elementory OS) Ubuntu 14.14:

https://youtu.be/F4Hl1y2fS58
(06-09-2022, 01:09 PM)biketool Wrote: How does one use a chromecast without getting Google involved?
I got one and tried to put a custom ROM onto it, but even with an unlocker loaded on an arduino I was unable to get the custom ROM uploaded.
Even then it seemed it needed to be involved with Google to get it to interface, though the custom ROM(android based if I recall) allowed hacking the scripting if required.
It seems that the chromecast, with the Google remote configuration method, brings the anti-privacy problems of a 'smart TV' in easily portable form.
I have no issue with a WiFi streaming video bridge but I want to have full and private control; no involving an outgoing connection to Samsung, Google, Facebook, Apple, Xiaomi, Huwai, or another company or government who wants to see what I am doing with my TV.
I have tried a USB-C - HDMI adapter and while Mobian is not really set up for dual monitors I am pretty sure it could be set up to mirror the phone screen with a little .conf file editing.

«To begin with, the target Chromecast with Google TV unit must be manufactured before December 2020 and the running firmware version needs to be below the February 2021 patch level.»

https://www.xda-developers.com/chromecas...k-exploit/

Unfortunately, we do not have such a device, but If someone reproduce this instruction it could change. A WIFI to HDMI bridge without big brother Google would be politically correct solution for the PinePhone, and make these old Chromecast devices precious.

A politically incorrect solution is to install Google Chrome on the PinePhone. Our Chrome Cast mirrors the desktop of our PC without additional installation steps.

Unfortunately, we did not find an uncontroversial usb-c to HDMI bridge, either. We had issues with three diverent devices which did not work, and we will try the political incorrect solution to install Google Chrome on the PinePhone. Privacy guys  please forgive us, and show us a better and robust solution.
(06-10-2022, 05:57 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 01:09 PM)biketool Wrote: How does one use a chromecast without getting Google involved?

«To begin with, the target Chromecast with Google TV unit must be manufactured before December 2020 and the running firmware version needs to be below the February 2021 patch level.»

https://www.xda-developers.com/chromecas...k-exploit/

Unfortunately, we do not have such a device, but If someone reproduce this instruction it could change. A WIFI to HDMI bridge without big brother Google would be politically correct solution for the PinePhone, and make these old Chromecast devices precious.

A politically incorrect solution is to install Google Chrome on the PinePhone. Our Chrome Cast mirrors the desktop of our PC without additional installation steps.

Unfortunately, we did not find an uncontroversial usb-c to HDMI bridge, either. We had issues with three diverent devices which did not work, and we will try the political incorrect solution to install Google Chrome on the PinePhone. Privacy guys  please forgive us, and show us a better and robust solution.

Yes, you are using the same exploit I had tried in 2018-20 timeframe.
In the end I just used a RasberryPI loaded with Kodi-OSMC to drive the local and stream media to the TV/projector as I didn't need to stream my computer though I think there is a way to use that to screencast using an open source tool in Debian(I do not recall the name).
Seven pages disussion how to install Chromium on the PinePhone:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=688&page=7

is there no easier way to stream from a PinePhone to a political incorrect Google ChromeCast WIFI to HDMI stick Angry .
The seven pages can be essentialized into one line:

command: sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

But when we typed this into a terminal window, whe get:

error: sudo:  apt-get: command not found

since the

command: sudo apk add libreoffice

worked to install LibreOffice on my PinePhone PostmarketOS posh, we tried:

command: sudo apk add chromium-browser

error: chromium-browser (no such package)

Which is the command line to install the chromium-browser on a PinePhone PostmarketOS posh?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 522 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,520 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,903 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 448 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 905 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Mouse for the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 21 14,625 10-04-2023, 10:24 AM
  PinePhone Wallet Case Shane 5 4,810 09-17-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: J T
  KB: Using bus powered USB peripherals with the pinephone keyboard mounted docsunset 9 35,768 08-07-2023, 06:12 AM
Last Post: mikeb
  PinePhone flex breakout board with Grove female header jnpine 0 598 08-04-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: jnpine