Anyone yet received replacement sim/sd card holder
(06-10-2022, 12:10 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Chief Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:44 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 01:05 PM)Chief Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 08:07 AM)tckosvic Wrote: Thanks for repair info. You have much more patience than I.  I was so anxious to dump my 5 yr samsung android ASAP and get to a trackless environment with the PPP. that I put a big effort into trying OS/desktops and making adjustments with countless insertions of sd cards into the holder.  I added more than 125 messages to this forum when I was active.   I agree that it is a long way from a usable device; for me especially now that my sim card is not recognized as it once was.  I would buy a replacement motherboard if these were available to get around the sim card holder problem.  Last I looked, the PPP parts store only has 2 items in it; replacement pins and screws.  Big deal!

Simply stated - beta. I also took a chance and bought the device early based on the fact that my PP works great. All I was looking for from PPP was the speed. I still have a Blackberry Classic which is also a secure device hence why governments around the world have used Blackberry. Now that Blackberry has rolled over into Android my BBC is now a table time piece. My Moto E4 I use for images as required but it never leaves the house. From the very start all I have wanted for the past 25 years is a device that is secure and can handle documents. In my opinion only the Librem and PinePhone can handle that task. I'm willing to hang in there and continue with these devices. I think it's worth the wait.
Curious as to what OS/desktp combo you are using for PP.  Trying to avoid separate post asking this question in PP section of forum.

I use Lubuntu laptop and Arch linux PP

which desktop with arch.  Those available look to be: phosh, plasma, sxmo on the PP.

PP Arch Phosh. I just had a major issue with PP. For the first time I had to reflash EMMc with Arch phosh 2022-05 version. I just finished an hour ago. It seems tobe the last update which was settings and Uboot. I believe the Uboot update may have been faulty? My device kept shutting off by itself. Sound familiar (PPP before towboot). Resolved and now no more updates.
(06-10-2022, 04:41 PM)Chief Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 12:10 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Chief Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:44 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 01:05 PM)Chief Wrote: Simply stated - beta. I also took a chance and bought the device early based on the fact that my PP works great. All I was looking for from PPP was the speed. I still have a Blackberry Classic which is also a secure device hence why governments around the world have used Blackberry. Now that Blackberry has rolled over into Android my BBC is now a table time piece. My Moto E4 I use for images as required but it never leaves the house. From the very start all I have wanted for the past 25 years is a device that is secure and can handle documents. In my opinion only the Librem and PinePhone can handle that task. I'm willing to hang in there and continue with these devices. I think it's worth the wait.
Curious as to what OS/desktp combo you are using for PP.  Trying to avoid separate post asking this question in PP section of forum.

I use Lubuntu laptop and Arch linux PP

which desktop with arch.  Those available look to be: phosh, plasma, sxmo on the PP.

PP Arch Phosh. I just had a major issue with PP. For the first time I had to reflash EMMc with Arch phosh 2022-05 version. I just finished an hour ago. It seems tobe the last update which was settings and Uboot. I believe the Uboot update may have been faulty? My device kept shutting off by itself. Sound familiar (PPP before towboot). Resolved and now no more updates.
Thanks for arch/phosh info for PP.  I am fairly successfully using manjaro/phosh.  I think I will stay with that until an issue arrives.  Then try arch/phosh. For reference, I did major system softeware update yesterday (approx 200 files) with no issues noted thus far on manjaro phosh
I see additional posts about failed sim/sd card holders which I think are from excessive use.

My question stands:  Has anyone yet received a replacement card holder under pinephone's replacement program?  i still have had not even received any communication or acknowledgement .  

tom kosvic
My PPP SIM card holder got borked too, which is why I have found this thread.
Just submitted a support request asking for a replacement holder.

Do they send them out for free? Is the replacement the same as the original, or an improved version? Won't be much use if the same as it's obviously flawed design, living only about 10-15 SIM insertions/ejections Sad .
Because the SIM card receptacle is soldered onto the motherboard, it seems like this would need to be replaced.

I would consider purchasing a replacement motherboard if the this component is redesigned so that this issue is less likely to happen because it is too easy for the user to mess up the electrical contacts of the SIM card slot.

I messed up two of the SIM card electrical contacts of my PPP when trying to insert the card (first time trying) with the plastic holder that came with the phone. SIM card slot is unusable for me. My work around is VOIP, but I know this is not an acceptable option for most people.
(06-17-2022, 10:51 AM)tckosvic Wrote: I see additional posts about failed sim/sd card holders which I think are from excessive use.

My question stands:  Has anyone yet received a replacement card holder under pinephone's replacement program?  i still have had not even received any communication or acknowledgement .  

tom kosvic

Thank you for getting back to the original question. I am very interested in the answer.

My PP SIM pins broke early on. I was able to solder them back and it continues to work. But, when I heard that the PPP uses the name microSIM size and thus requires and adapter I held back on buying a PPP. The sharp edge of the micro-nano adapter broke my pins and it's been the cause described by others, clearly. They should have gone with a nanoSIM for the second generation device.
Since July/August 2022 (devices shipped after the end of July 2022), the PinePhone Pro (only the Pro!) uses a nanoSIM.
Ended up here with the exact same issue. Had my PPP for awhile now and recently PostmarketOS has been working really well for me. Got a FreedomPOP SIM to play around with and the messaging was working on the phone, it was coming out of sleep correctly, etc. Was really looking forward to giving the PPP a serious try finally. After about the 3rd insert/removal of the SIM the PPP now says 'there is no SIM inserted in the slow'. Tried the experimental PostmarketOS along with mobian and nothing shows up in the SIM on anything so I'm quite sure it's hardware related.

Also, tried the SIM in my Pinephone original and it shows up working with no issues.

Just filed a ticket with pine64 and will update here if I get any response on it.

Edit: Updating my post. It's been 15 days since I opened a ticket and there is no response on the ticket. Nor is there any indication anyone has looked at it.

Additionally, it appears my SD card no longer works either. Which I can only assume is a symptom of the SIM card no longer working.
(05-17-2023, 09:43 AM)kbm Wrote: Ended up here with the exact same issue. Had my PPP for awhile now and recently PostmarketOS has been working really well for me. Got a FreedomPOP SIM to play around with and the messaging was working on the phone, it was coming out of sleep correctly, etc. Was really looking forward to giving the PPP a serious try finally. After about the 3rd insert/removal of the SIM the PPP now says 'there is no SIM inserted in the slow'. Tried the experimental PostmarketOS along with mobian and nothing shows up in the SIM on anything so I'm quite sure it's hardware related.

Also, tried the SIM in my Pinephone original and it shows up working with no issues.

Just filed a ticket with pine64 and will update here if I get any response on it.

Edit: Updating my post. It's been 15 days since I opened a ticket and there is no response on the ticket. Nor is there any indication anyone has looked at it.

Additionally, it appears my SD card no longer works either. Which I can only assume is a symptom of the SIM card no longer working.

Updating my post yet again. Long story, and I hate to admit it, but it turns out part of the problem was PostmarketOS. Putting this just in case someone else has this same issue. For what-ever reason the 'stable' version of PostmarketOS doesn't seem the SIM any more. I loaded Mobian and the SIM is now working again. This was the first time using the PPP that I've seen the OS not recognize the SIM. But, my bad.

I'll be closing the support ticket, even though it never got updated or looked at it would seem. More than a bit disappointing.
For people running into issues with the microSD or SIM card reader I would recommend to open a separate thread per each issue and to involve the community members in it, helping with the diagnose of the issues. I'm closing this thread so that future issue debugging and discussion doesn't get lost in replies on pages 2+.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,389 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  PinePhone Pro Motherboard with sim card holder tckosvic 1 1,529 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Warning!!- sim card adapter destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro ANDROID2468 11 7,273 06-15-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Replace PPP sim card/sd card slot hardware tckosvic 5 3,961 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  How to remove the sim card liberty1234 6 4,088 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  SD Card insertion depth nristen 4 2,865 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nristen
  Bent SD card pin bhboyle 5 3,343 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  SD card slot specs frimmel 3 2,655 01-27-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: bcnaz