Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS
With incoming SMS messages silently failing and also some trouble with incoming phone calls not always waking the phone, I've had to switch back to my iPhone for the moment, sadly.  I really want to make this work as a phone but also really need the basics to work at the moment.  I'll just have to try again when things are a bit less busy.

I'll be back, PinePhone...
(06-17-2022, 02:56 PM)epiii2 Wrote: With incoming SMS messages silently failing and also some trouble with incoming phone calls not always waking the phone, I've had to switch back to my iPhone for the moment, sadly.  I really want to make this work as a phone but also really need the basics to work at the moment.  I'll just have to try again when things are a bit less busy.

You know things in life never actually get "less busy" right? 

On a related note, I sent Verizon a support request asking about their APN setup.  They replied that they needed more information.  I try to respond through their website interface.  I can enter text into their little input box, but the "submit" button is not functioning (across firefox and chromium.)  So I can't actually communicate with them that way.  I tried their "call me back at a specific time for support" option as well.  Their automatic system set up the call time, and even sent me a reminder.  Nobody ever called.

On the other hand, they have really good coverage around my part of the world.
(06-20-2022, 06:43 AM)npesall Wrote: You know things in life never actually get "less busy" right? 

You'd think I'd have learned that by now, but I'm irrationally optimistic.

Too bad about Verizon, though that matches perfectly with my experience trying to get help from them.
(06-17-2022, 02:56 PM)epiii2 Wrote: With incoming SMS messages silently failing and also some trouble with incoming phone calls not always waking the phone, I've had to switch back to my iPhone for the moment, sadly.  I really want to make this work as a phone but also really need the basics to work at the moment.  I'll just have to try again when things are a bit less busy.

Try clearing your modem cache

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid65065
(06-24-2022, 05:45 PM)brb78 Wrote:

Try clearing your modem cache

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid65065

Clearing trhe modem ultimately worked for me (at least temporarily).  I can't reply to the thread you referenced so I'll comment on it here: AntiX-Dave misunderstands the AT commands he's using.  "AT+CMGD=?" is the test form that will simply show the parameters and their valid range.  "AT+CMGD=0,4" tells the modem to delete the message at index 0 and to delete all mesages (delflags=4) so it's kinda redundant.  I think a safer command would be "AT+CMGD=,2" to purge all read incoming and sent outgoing messages.
Thank you both.  I'll give this a try when I have a chance to swap the SIM back in.

I appreciate the extra detail/corrections for the AT commands, too.  I'm doing my best to understand what these things do but too often they're still totally cryptic to me.
(06-29-2022, 06:13 PM)epiii2 Wrote: Thank you both.  I'll give this a try when I have a chance to swap the SIM back in.

I appreciate the extra detail/corrections for the AT commands, too.  I'm doing my best to understand what these things do but too often they're still totally cryptic to me.

I'm no farther ahead than I was a month ago on this issue.  Still no functioning MMS on Verizon since mid-May.  Any progress from any of you?
(07-14-2022, 05:52 AM)npesall Wrote: I'm no farther ahead than I was a month ago on this issue.  Still no functioning MMS on Verizon since mid-May.  Any progress from any of you?

yes, but only connected to "vzwapp" apn, which is limited in connectivity compared to the "vzwinternet" apn
(07-14-2022, 10:42 AM)brb78 Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 05:52 AM)npesall Wrote: I'm no farther ahead than I was a month ago on this issue.  Still no functioning MMS on Verizon since mid-May.  Any progress from any of you?

yes, but only connected to "vzwapp" apn, which is limited in connectivity compared to the "vzwinternet" apn

In my case I still need to try clearing the modem cache and see if that helps.  But I'm still waiting for things to get less busy  Big Grin
(07-14-2022, 10:42 AM)brb78 Wrote:

Same here - MMS has been fine with vzwapp APN set in both gnome-settings and Chatty.  Even when the modem storage filled-up and blocked incoming SMS, MMS has worked.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,511 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz