Ringtone
I have two 3Gig Pinephones.
Incidentally I had to replace the screen on the second one as soon as I got it!
This might be a bit unusual, but I want to use it as a mobile phone, rather than editing videos etc.!
I installed Arch, because it is lightweight, and only has what you need, rather than the kitchen sink. Also surely I should be able to go in and get things to work.
OK, so how do I get it to produce a noise I can hear when I get an incoming call or SMS?
There is a path to the ringtones:
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo
Lots of .oga files there, but they must all be recordings of silence!
I assume there is some way of waking them up, but what is it?
I have DanctNIX Tweaks installed. Nice GUI. It would be even nicer if it did something!
Please help me get these phones to make noises so that I know when I have a call, or SMS.
I do not require a full orchestra, just something loudly audible to attract my attention.
"I installed Arch" - Arch with Phosh or Arch with Plasma or Arch with SXMO?

I run Arch with Phosh.
(05-10-2022, 09:05 AM)mikehenson Wrote: "I installed Arch" - Arch with Phosh or Arch with Plasma or Arch with SXMO?

I run Arch with Phosh.

So do I.
My problem is certainly one of ignorance.
The phone not ringing is the reason I gave up on it as a "daily driver". With Manjaro-Plasma I found the phone was sending audio output to the headphone jack, without me having (intentionally) set so. With no headphones plugged in that obviously meant no ring. I think with other distros I might have had the volume going to zero, again I didn't intend to do so. But with Mobian-Phosh I had calls fail to "reach" the phone at all - the caller heard the usual ringing sound but the Pinephone gave no alert or notifications and showed no missed call in the calls log.

First thing I'd check on you then is what audio output device is being used and what volume it's set to.
Further research.
The first phone: intended for my UK SIM doesn’t notify for either calls or SMS other than vibration.
The second phone: intended for my Greek SIM, but at the moment holding a second UK SIM doesn’t notify for either calls or SMS and does not vibrate either. This is the phone which had a screen transplant from the start. I recall that when I reassembled it there was constant vibration. This stopped with a little fiddling. (I can’t remember what I did to stop it.) It may be that I stopped it permanently! (I don’t think so)
On this phone the internal speaker is problematic too. By experimentation I found that I had to switch from “default” to “phone call” to get it to work. (This is in Settings) Having said that, the volume is much reduced compared with the first phone, despite all volume settings being on full.
Both phones are capable of producing sound, just not notification sounds.
In my opinion these phones should be capable of being phones with anything else a bonus.
I have Computers with decent sized screens for video editing, Libre Office, CAD etc. All I want is the basics… to start with. I do not expect all the software to be optimised for a tiny portrait orientated display. I can wait for that. Photographs in an emergency, I prefer my point and shoot camera.
If someone could point me in the direction of the secret directories where the ringtones are controlled I might be able do do something. This is so frustrating!
(05-11-2022, 06:23 AM)TheForteanDentist Wrote: Further research.
The first phone: intended for my UK SIM doesn’t notify for either calls or SMS other than vibration.
The second phone: intended for my Greek SIM, but at the moment holding a second UK SIM doesn’t notify for either calls or SMS and does not vibrate either. This is the phone which had a screen transplant from the start. I recall that when I reassembled it there was constant vibration. This stopped with a little fiddling. (I can’t remember what I did to stop it.) It may be that I stopped it permanently! (I don’t think so)
On this phone the internal speaker is problematic too. By experimentation I found that I had to switch from “default” to “phone call” to get it to work. (This is in Settings) Having said that, the volume is much reduced compared with the first phone, despite all volume settings being on full.
Both phones are capable of producing sound, just not notification sounds.
In my opinion these phones should be capable of being phones with anything else a bonus.
I have Computers with decent sized screens for video editing, Libre Office, CAD etc. All I want is the basics… to start with. I do not expect all the software to be optimised for a tiny portrait orientated display. I can wait for that. Photographs in an emergency, I prefer my point and shoot camera.
If someone could point me in the direction of the secret directories where the ringtones are controlled I might be able do do something. This is so frustrating!

I appear to have the solution.
First the obvious.
the tones are stored in:
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo
AND
/.local/share/sounds/_custom/
They are stored as .oga
Therefore you can take any audio file, convert it to .oga and put it in there.
Now you need to hear them when you get an sms...
Using danctnix tweaks > sounds
1)set profile to "custom".
Now go to the category; they will all be off and say (none).
Turn it on.
Click on the folder.
You will get a list of sub directories, one of which is .local.
Highlight it and click open.
Just chase down the directory chain to the .oga files.
Highlight the one you want and click open.
Go back to tweaks, and you will see the category turned on and the file selected.
Come out of tweaks and go back in. the switch is off and (none). This is sheer genius bit. It looks like nothing has happened, but if you test it, hopefully you will have the noises you want.
SO
There is no clear indication that you have done anything at all. No "Save", "Activate" or any other button to click. Just come out of the program...
AND
It actually looks like you have failed.
Isn't that brilliant?
Bu the way. To access the /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo   route.
The button with a little house and alarrm on it has a left arrow. Click that and "home" will appear to the left, and to the left of that is what looks like a circle in a square.
Click that and chase down the directory chain to stereo.
Good luck if you are using your fingers on the touchscreen! I was using a bluetooth Rii keyboard and touchpad, which I find invaluable.

I still have the volume problem on the "Greek" phone, and have no idea if this is hardware or software.

On on! A task for another day maybe?