Getting hdmi out to work reliably?
Hi all,

I have a PPP that doesn't seem to have the HDMI out functioning reliably. The secondary display "appears" for a split second then disappears, and this keeps repeating. (See gif below) The odd thing is that I was able to get it connected successfully on the first try, but afterwards nearly all attempts have led to this behaviour.

For reference here's a gif of the setting screen:
https://imgur.com/a/3TAUHqA

I'm running a new install of the latest mobian with phosh, although I get the same issue with arch (and with GNOME and other DE). Also this isn't a adapter/cable/monitor issue as I can get this configuration working with my laptop.
You might want to follow the blog posts of the developer megi regarding the development of video-out and related features, e. g. https://xnux.eu/log/#060
(05-09-2022, 10:11 AM)emole Wrote: Hi all,

I have a PPP that doesn't seem to have the HDMI out functioning reliably. The secondary display "appears" for a split second then disappears, and this keeps repeating. (See gif below) The odd thing is that I was able to get it connected successfully on the first try, but afterwards nearly all attempts have led to this behaviour.

For reference here's a gif of the setting screen:
https://imgur.com/a/3TAUHqA

I'm running a new install of the latest mobian with phosh, although I get the same issue with arch (and with GNOME and other DE). Also this isn't a adapter/cable/monitor issue as I can get this configuration working with my laptop.

If you have insufficient charging to device you will encounter problems. There are several issues going on but basically the power draw of the device is far greater on the battery. You will have to trouble shoot this yourself mainly in accordance with what FXC stated. The behaviour of the PPP is inconsistent and mainly hit and miss. I have an expensive wall plug that has all the proper settings - wont work. I also have a Walmart cheap multi plug adapter - works perfect every time. My PP Convergence works with any monitor anywhere anytime with no issue (less power draw). My PPP will run keyboard, mouse and HDMI (Asus monitor) on that Walmart wall charger. Also I use Arch Linux Phosh. It's truly hit and miss unfortunately.
Not quite the same scenario, but i found Alt DP via usbc to work when using a Arch/Plasma so maybe give Arch/Plasma a quick test it might have better support at the moment... also i noticed when you plugin the adapter/dock maters and the orientation of the cables are big thing for Alt DP... as for HDMI via the docks chip not sure...

I did a bit of forum searching on the PineBook Pro to see what people did for various multi monitor / docks to work / config etc...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting Waydroid to work on the Pinephone Pro Dragonborn 8 7,062 09-18-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: nroth
  Call and sms out work only shortly after answering a call altor 1 1,180 03-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: altor
  Passcode doesn't work when booting from SD card Dinobot 4 2,778 03-02-2022, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Dinobot
  Does jumpdrive and balenaetcher work on pro tckosvic 7 4,234 02-01-2022, 02:47 AM
Last Post: bcnaz