Where's the parts?
The pinephone ad site is quoted as below saying:

""How repairable is the PinePhone Pro?

Just as the original PinePhone, the PinePhone Pro is built to be user repairable and we will offer spare parts in the Pine Store. The store’s selection will include all parts that frequently break if the device is dropped (the screen, back case and mid section) as well as all electronic components, including the mainboard.

The PinePhone Pro is held together by standard Phillips screws –  all you need to repair it is a suitable screwdriver and some spare time. ""

Where are the parts promised to be made available?  I am totally frustrated at not being able to replace the sd/sim holder on my PPP.  No response on multiple emails to pinephone except to say that my query was forwarded to "parts dept".  I see no real parts list in the store except for backcovers, new phones or addon components.

A crazy offer was made by pinephone re: sd/sim card holders.  Take your phone to a repair shop, take pictures, send them to China, wait for a reply, then maybe you'll get a $0.35 free part in the mail.  You have to pay for the shipping.  Has anyone gone through this process?  Has anyone received a new sd/sim holder?

The above steps to replace a sd/sim card holder in the pinephone replacement program above do not seem compatible with their advertised goals stated in the advertising.

If I was a lawyer, or familiar with the procedures I would instigate a class action suit on behalf of the pinephone customers against pinephone.  I think there is grounds. Of course collecting from a chinese entity is probably impossible.

So, anyone received a replacement sd/sim card holder?

tom kosvic
(05-06-2022, 08:42 AM)tckosvic Wrote: The pinephone ad site is quoted as below saying:

Just as the original PinePhone, the PinePhone Pro is built to be user repairable and we will offer spare parts in the Pine Store. The store’s selection will include all parts that frequently break if the device is dropped (the screen, back case and mid section) as well as all electronic components, including the mainboard.

The PinePhone Pro is held together by standard Phillips screws –  all you need to repair it is a suitable screwdriver and some spare time. ""

Where are the parts promised to be made available?  I am totally frustrated at not being able to replace the sd/sim holder on my PPP.  No response on multiple emails to pinephone except to say that my query was forwarded to "parts dept".  I see no real parts list in the store except for backcovers, new phones or addon components.

A crazy offer was made by pinephone re: sd/sim card holders.  Take your phone to a repair shop, take pictures, send them to China, wait for a reply, then maybe you'll get a $0.35 free part in the mail.  You have to pay for the shipping.  Has anyone gone through this process?  Has anyone received a new sd/sim holder?

The above steps to replace a sd/sim card holder in the pinephone replacement program above do not seem compatible with their advertised goals stated in the advertising.

If I was a lawyer, or familiar with the procedures I would instigate a class action suit on behalf of the pinephone customers against pinephone.  I think there is grounds. Of course collecting from a chinese entity is probably impossible.

tom kosvic

Please see TL's reply here regarding the replacement of the SIM/microSD card reader: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid108861

Mind that the slot is soldered and highly difficult to repair individually, that is something a good phone repair shop has to do in most cases. Such parts are also not sold individually for the regular PinePhone, instead the full mainboard is one replacement part (as you quoted yourself above). Can you clarify which of the steps to get the replacement part you're having trouble with or you think is crazy, the step to take one picture or the step to open a ticket under support.pine64.org? If you are having trouble with either step 1 or 2 please let us, the community, know how we can help you. Mind that threatening people (and especially FOSS companies) with legal steps will usually not increase the quality of replies.
(05-07-2022, 01:55 PM)fxc Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 08:42 AM)tckosvic Wrote: The pinephone ad site is quoted as below saying:

tom kosvic

Please see TL's reply here regarding the replacement of the SIM/microSD card reader: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid108861

Mind that the slot is soldered and highly difficult to repair individually, that is something a good phone repair shop has to do in most cases. Such parts are also not sold individually for the regular PinePhone, instead the full mainboard is one replacement part (as you quoted yourself above). Can you clarify which of the steps to get the replacement part you're having trouble with or you think is crazy, the step to take one picture or the step to open a ticket under support.pine64.org? If you are having trouble with either step 1 or 2 please let us, the community, know how we can help you. Mind that threatening people (and especially FOSS companies) with legal steps will usually not increase the quality of replies.

What is the problem is the whole "crazy (stupid)" process to get a $.35 part when it should be offered on the parts store as advertised.  Is there something you can't follow about that concept?

tom kosvic

Presumably linking TL's reply is for the benefit of others, not the OP who has already replied to it:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid108935

The 'please contact us' part is a recurring point of difficulty where people complain about having tried to make contact and had no response. In some cases this is apparently because their message has been interpreted as being abusive, and intentionally not replied to. While I can understand the idea, if you don't tell the sender why you aren't responding it just looks like more bad customer support and causes further frustration. I've no idea whether that's the case here, or just a reaction to what seems a long winded route to getting a cheap part with relatively expensive shipping.

I still don't see what's difficult about sharing the datasheet for the part so we can at least look for a local source of an equivalent:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid108892
(05-08-2022, 09:15 AM)tckosvic Wrote:

tom kosvic

What is the problem is the whole "crazy (stupid)" process to get a $.35 part when it should be offered on the parts store as advertised.  Is there something you can't follow about that concept?

Come on, at this point it is not possible to tell if you're trolling or not. The explanation why the part is not in the store is directly in the reply I linked, you should really read it. "As advertised" is clearly a false statement, look what you've written above:

"The store’s selection will include all parts that frequently break if the device is dropped (the screen, back case and mid section) as well as all electronic components, including the mainboard"

It is not expected that such small parts, which are part of the mainboard and are highly difficult to replace (people tried it, people failed, I've seen the pictures) will be put individually on the store. Please go take the one photo and open a ticket. That's a time effort of 60-120 seconds depending on how fast you do it. Not crazy, not stupid.
> It is not expected that such small parts, which are part of the mainboard and are highly difficult to replace
> (people tried it, people failed, I've seen the pictures) will be put individually on the store.

But why not publish the bill of materials? Most of the parts are probably available from suppliers such as Digikey. Some of us are willing and able to take on surface mount repair. If I had a phone with a broken card slot I'd try to replace it before spending $100+ for a new board.
(05-09-2022, 11:33 AM)jhasler Wrote: > It is not expected that such small parts, which are part of the mainboard and are highly difficult to replace
> (people tried it, people failed, I've seen the pictures) will be put individually on the store.

But why not publish the bill of materials?  Most of the parts are probably available from suppliers such as Digikey.  Some of us are willing and able to take on surface mount repair.  If I had a phone with a broken card slot I'd try to replace it before spending $100+ for a new board.

For the regular PinePhone the parts are published here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_component_list and here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#P...ifications and here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#D...eripherals

For the Pro not all documents are released yet but judging from the proceedings with the regular PinePhone that all happened after the Braveheart Edition, so I would expect Pine to release them after the Explorer Edition as well.

For the regular PinePhone the part is called "SA-2202-112 25-pin Micro-SIM and TF slot" and should be compatible with the Pro. You won't find the part on any supplier, such parts are usually sold in bulk between Chinese companies. We tried to find similar parts in the community chat for the slot and for other components such as the headphone jack but that's very hard.

I think the process of Pine having a limited additional amount of those parts and sending it free of charge (shipping has to be paid) when opening a ticket is fair. However if you find a confirmed compatible alternative part please feel free to list it on the wiki as suitable alternative.

tckosvic, that tone and allegations are really unasked for and are overstepping the mark. I'm not paid or "refute any criticism", in fact I criticized this and other parts and products plenty of times, long before you appeared here. I would recommend you to calm down and to take a break and to only come back only after then.
(05-10-2022, 04:17 AM)fxc Wrote: For the regular PinePhone the part is called "SA-2202-112 25-pin Micro-SIM and TF slot" and should be compatible with the Pro. You won't find the part on any supplier, such parts are usually sold in bulk between Chinese companies. We tried to find similar parts in the community chat for the slot and for other components such as the headphone jack but that's very hard.

I think the process of Pine having a limited additional amount of those parts and sending it free of charge (shipping has to be paid) when opening a ticket is fair. However if you find a confirmed compatible alternative part please feel free to list it on the wiki as suitable alternative.

This is precisely why I've been asking for a datasheet, or at least a footprint and pin designation. There are many outwardly similar parts available, such as the ones whose datasheets I linked, but with variations in the detail of the footprint and in which pins connect to which contacts. Someone could reverse engineer this of course, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
(05-10-2022, 06:05 AM)wibble Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 04:17 AM)fxc Wrote: For the regular PinePhone the part is called "SA-2202-112 25-pin Micro-SIM and TF slot" and should be compatible with the Pro. You won't find the part on any supplier, such parts are usually sold in bulk between Chinese companies. We tried to find similar parts in the community chat for the slot and for other components such as the headphone jack but that's very hard.

This is precisely why I've been asking for a datasheet, or at least a footprint and pin designation. There are many outwardly similar parts available, such as the ones whose datasheets I linked, but with variations in the detail of the footprint and in which pins connect to which contacts. Someone could reverse engineer this of course, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

That's a fair point, I would recommend bringing it up with TL after the launch of the EU store, I'm sure TL can and will release such files on requests.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Store : Pine phone Pro Parts ? bcnaz 7 4,160 04-08-2022, 09:45 PM
Last Post: bcnaz