Updating OS = Blank Screen?
Hello,

When I run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

ubuntu refuses to boot up after updating and I'm left with a blank screen. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks,
c815
Nope, not supposed to happen. Which image are using?
Perhaps update the kernel and uboot first using scripts provided in /usr/local/sbin and try again sudo apt-get update && upgrade -y again
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Strange. I updated the kernel and per instructions ("Done - you should reboot now") rebooted the computer and then the same problem happened. The screen is immediately blank, so the keyboard stops working and I am also unable to SSH in.
(07-09-2016, 01:15 AM)c815e197c5 Wrote: Strange. I updated the kernel and per instructions ("Done - you should reboot now") rebooted the computer and then the same problem happened. The screen is immediately blank, so the keyboard stops working and I am also unable to SSH in.

Does the power light on your pine64 stay on when it stops responding this way? I'm just wondering if maybe the power supply or USB lead isn't up to the task, and the pine64 is shutting down due to voltage sag. As Luke said, this isn't expected behaviour to say the least!
Power supply isn't an issue. The light stays on. I think I've figured it out. I updated uboot and then the kernel before restarting and now I can login. I'm installing a GUI atm and will update when it finishes.
OK, still a bit strange to be honest. Issue solved tho ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Nope.. one step closer but the solution still eludes me. Now I get login screen with a blank background, but when I login the screen turns to blank and I can't ssh in.
Okay, I found out how to fix this. I ran the pine_fix_whatever and then re-rain install_mate. Upon restart pretty much everything was working right. There were a few bugs like the mate panel not being visible, but you can manually enable it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 2Gb Ubuntu Mono not updating and stuck petec 0 2,873 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: petec
  Updating Ubuntu 16.04 SteveBlack 9 12,411 05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: ta2025