Guide to Suitable Phone State
(04-29-2022, 12:17 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 10:34 AM)Borealid Wrote: If I were you, I'd use the SD card. You can replace the SD without needing to get a new phone, so why would you want to write flash and shorten the device lifetime? With a good SD the speed doesn't make a significant difference in responsiveness of the phone interface, and what you're using comes from RAM either way.

The MicroSD card slot in the PPP is not positioned in a way that you can readily remove a card while the phone is powered on, so practically speaking the card lives in the phone long term.

You're welcome to do what you want with your device, but I don't think "most phones work this other way" is a good argument for why it should be that way. Most modern high-end phones don't even HAVE removable storage - likely because selling more internal flash is an easy way to get customers to pay as much as they are able for devices (aka perfect price discrimination).

You can find the settings for the bootloader in /boot.

My PPP is borked right now because my sim/sd card holder needs to be replaced that I think is due to excessive uses, i.e., insert/remove sd card.   I can't get a replacement sim/sd holder part as i have posted several times on hardware forum.  Doesn't read my sim card so no calls.  Used to read sim, call and get both sms and mms messages until it stopped.  My sim card is good because it works in PP phone fine.  I can start PPP phone from sd but can't make calls so I have no use for it.  I must have changed sd card a hundred times testing various OS/desktop combinations until sim/sd holder doesn't work anymore.

I was really into this effort.  But now i am getting burned out.  Posted 125 messages here over last few mionths.

Do you get mms messages with arch/sxmo?  I hadn't heard of sxmo before but I'll look into it.

Please check the contacts (both rows) from the side (and using a good flashlight) and see if one of the pins were bent or is missing. Would recommend you to open a ticket under support.pine64.org if the hardware is defective.
(04-29-2022, 06:57 PM)Borealid Wrote: Sorry your SD card slot is broken. As a tip for the future, you don't have to remove the SD card from the phone to write it.

If you want you should be able to put the phone bootloader into USB Mass Storage mode. See the bottom of https://tow-boot.org/devices/pine64-pinephonePro.html - if you have tow-boot on your SPI flash, holding volume up will make the LED turn "blue" instead of "aqua".

You should then be able to use the directions in Step 3 to install directly to flash.

I have no idea if MMS works. Plain SMS does. If your SIM slot is broken you're not going to be using either with the phone's built-in modem.

I did install os/desktop software from my pc to an sd card installed in a smart card adapter on my pc using balenaetcher software.  Then reinsert into phone.  Did this probably a hundred times.

To test mms, just try attaching a file to a text message to see if it sends ok to see if mms work.  Also send a message to your phone that contains an attachment to see if you receive it properly. Mine did send and receive mms as well as sms using manjaro-phosh (latest beta version) until SIM card stopped working.

tom kosvic
This is great; you're the canaries in the mines. I read the camera drivers aren't up. Does that mean the same for all pine OSs?
Yes, there are currently no drivers for either camera on the PPP.

Slightly OT but I have not sent or received an MMS in years, what use case do y'all have?
(05-05-2022, 01:30 PM)cj-mcquack Wrote: Yes, there are currently no drivers for either camera on the PPP.

Slightly OT but I have not sent or received an MMS in years, what use case do y'all have?

I think after a certain number of MMS messages the modem gets full and they get clogged. When I had my sim in my PPP it stopped sending me MMS after a while, but I never diagnosed the official cause.
(05-05-2022, 04:03 PM)Dragonborn Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 01:30 PM)cj-mcquack Wrote: Yes, there are currently no drivers for either camera on the PPP.

I think after a certain number of MMS messages the modem gets full and they get clogged. When I had my sim in my PPP it stopped sending me MMS after a while, but I never diagnosed the official cause.

Only if you don't have an application that deals with the messages and removes them. The same applies to SMS by the way, but as there was an app to handle SMS from the start nobody talks about it.
(05-06-2022, 04:42 AM)wibble Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 04:03 PM)Dragonborn Wrote:

Only if you don't have an application that deals with the messages and removes them. The same applies to SMS by the way, but as there was an app to handle SMS from the start nobody talks about it.
Okay that makes sense, I assume there's a script or something out there that removes the message?
I think most distros are moving towards using mmsd-tng but there are others:

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=mms
https://git.sr.ht/~amindfv/jmms

Or you can use mmcli - see the man page, or mmcli --help-messaging or --help-sms for how to list or delete messages.
The only reliable way to fix the audio video playback error after a suspend that I have found is to play a sound clip using the recorder application.
The installer at https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/ar...-installer no longer works out of the box, because the site where it gets the image:

https://danctnix.arikawa-hi.me/rootfs/archarm-on-mobile

no longer seems to be active.

The script still works if you build the image manually from  dreemurrs with options

Code:
./build.sh -a aarch64 -d pinephone-pro -u sxmo --osk-sdl

It would be great if you were able to restore the build instructions

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 42 11,427 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: apink
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 991 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,674 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 975 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Phone shuts down unexpectedly Hobgoblin 3 1,520 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Fish
  Sound completely gone with Mobian in Phone Call configuration EwigeBlumenkraft 2 1,689 11-11-2022, 09:18 PM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,050 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  Outgoing audio in phone calls gone linuxfreedom 6 3,164 10-25-2022, 08:40 PM
  Phone wont turn on with any SD Card inserted Ausfaller 3 2,304 07-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Ausfaller
  PPP Phone rings with constant vibrate - turn off vibrate henrythemouse 0 801 05-16-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: henrythemouse