No mobile data access on PPP
I've been using my PPP for a few weeks now and have not been able to get mobile data to work consistently. Actually, it's randomly worked at most four times for about 5min each time. I'm using Mobian, which I recently moved to the eMMC along with installing tow-boot to the SPI flash. I replace the sim card with a new sim card (both t-mobile). Mobile data worked fine using the old sim card in my beta PP and in a Samsung tablet, but did not work in my PPP. However, it was heavily scratched, so I got a new one to use in the PPP, hoping that it might help. So far the new sim has not made a difference.

Phone calls work well, as does text messaging. I read in a wiki that providing the carrier's APN was required in order to have mobile data working. For T-Mobile that is: Fast.t-mobile.com. I configured that using the Settings app under Mobile Network/Access Point Names. At this point I noted a difference between the PP and the PPP. When I edited an APN, the Settings app created a new "Broadband/mobilenet" APN. It does this every time I edit an APN. So now six APNs are listed, one of which is the T-Mobile APN (which is selected) and five of which are "Broadband/mobilenet" APNs . I would like to remove the other APN entries, but there is no provision for this in the UI. Does someone know of another way?

I also configured the SMS and MMS in Chatty.

I've spoken at length with t-mobile representatives. While they try to be helpful and understanding, they are not knowledgeable regarding non-supported phones and can only provide help via check lists that they are given. In addition, because the old sim works in my PP,  it's very unlikely that it is a carrier issue.

If anyone else has had this issue or heard of it happening with other PPPs I'd appreciate any information that you can pass along. The PPP is a major performance improvement over the PP, yet if I can't get the mobile data working the performance improvements become unimportant. Mobile date is a core feature for me.
I have the same problem, but sadly no fix for it. Running the latest mobian on a PPP.
(04-15-2022, 11:53 AM)henrythemouse Wrote: I've been using my PPP for a few weeks now and have not been able to get mobile data to work consistently. Actually, it's randomly worked at most four times for about 5min each time. I'm using Mobian, which I recently moved to the eMMC along with installing tow-boot to the SPI flash. I replace the sim card with a new sim card (both t-mobile). Mobile data worked fine using the old sim card in my beta PP and in a Samsung tablet, but did not work in my PPP. However, it was heavily scratched, so I got a new one to use in the PPP, hoping that it might help. So far the new sim has not made a difference.

Phone calls work well, as does text messaging. I read in a wiki that providing the carrier's APN was required in order to have mobile data working. For T-Mobile that is: Fast.t-mobile.com. I configured that using the Settings app under Mobile Network/Access Point Names. At this point I noted a difference between the PP and the PPP. When I edited an APN, the Settings app created a new "Broadband/mobilenet" APN. It does this every time I edit an APN. So now six APNs are listed, one of which is the T-Mobile APN (which is selected) and five of which are "Broadband/mobilenet" APNs . I would like to remove the other APN entries, but there is no provision for this in the UI. Does someone know of another way?

I also configured the SMS and MMS in Chatty.

I've spoken at length with t-mobile representatives. While they try to be helpful and understanding, they are not knowledgeable regarding non-supported phones and can only provide help via check lists that they are given. In addition, because the old sim works in my PP,  it's very unlikely that it is a carrier issue.

If anyone else has had this issue or heard of it happening with other PPPs I'd appreciate any information that you can pass along. The PPP is a major performance improvement over the PP, yet if I can't get the mobile data working the performance improvements become unimportant. Mobile date is a core feature for me.

Been using my T-Mobile SIM in my PPP and when the OS is running haven't had any issues. I did need to create the APN, but after that haven't had any problems. Not much else is stable, but when the phone is running I haven't seen any issues with data. Probably worth giving the distro below a try just to see if it makes any difference?

Running https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases flashed to the eMMC using tow-boot
(04-15-2022, 02:17 PM)kbm Wrote: Been using my T-Mobile SIM in my PPP and when the OS is running haven't had any issues. I did need to create the APN, but after that haven't had any problems. Not much else is stable, but when the phone is running I haven't seen any issues with data. Probably worth giving the distro below a try just to see if it makes any difference?

Running https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases flashed to the eMMC using tow-boot

Thank you for the suggestion, funny that I hadn't thought of trying an alternate OS, seems like the best next thing to do. Installing Arch proved that the pinephone pro was not at fault, nor was t-mobile. To be fair, I may have messed up Mobian somehow, I don't know enough to determine definitively one way or the other.

The bottom line is that while using Arch my ppp had full mobile data support. I used it for hours. Perhaps I'll switch to Arch as my primary ppp OS. I'm not sure yet, might be that other OS's also do mobile data as easily. Now I have a path forward, that's a good thing.

I am still curious if Mobian users in gerneral have this problem or if there's just a few of us out there?
i have pp regular, not pp pro.

i had those intermittent mobile data issues and changing usb rules stopped those disconnections, downside is reduced battery life.

following may not work on pp pro, but could be worth trying. shortly: from ATTR{power/control}="auto" into ATTR{power/control}="on" .

Code:
# cat /lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules # (altered form)
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/autosuspend_delay_ms}="3000"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/wakeup}="enabled"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/persist}="0"
I made a mistake, been searching under pinephonepro only for an answer, mostly because I never had any issues with my pinephone. But, as it turns out, there's a good thread on this very problem under the pinephone section.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16133

I used Zebulon Walton's resolvconf idea and it's been working for some time. Hopefully it will allow me to return to Mobian.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 809 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  US Mobile...won't support PPP - SOLVED jovval 1 1,025 07-01-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,552 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  [Solved] Connect PPP to PC via USB for data transfer ? libresurf 1 1,187 09-20-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: libresurf
  Arch linux phosh - no cellular with T-Mobile sim Conjada 14 7,868 02-21-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: The3DmaN