Can't find pinephone pro camera in terminal
Hello everyone,
I recently got my pinephone pro and have had fun trying the different os's available and I've setteled with latest modian posh, I found that in every os that everything is working but the camera isn't working. I checked the dip switches and even turned it on and off, then I started to look in terminal using the sudo lshw command and I can see everything else but the camera or their title OV5640. Am I doing something wrong or do I have hardware issue, I have been looking through the forum but can't find anyone with the same issue.
Any suggestion would be greate
There are no drivers yet for either camera. Your experience is exactly what is to be expected.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-31-2022, 01:46 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: There are no drivers yet for either camera. Your experience is exactly what is to be expected.

That make a lot of sense, my skills at coding go as far as "hello world" on a html page, I have people who may be able to help me create one and I was wondering what information I should gather and take to them to get the ball rolling on creating a driver.
(03-31-2022, 08:56 PM)TheRealThor Wrote: ...
I have people who may be able to help me create one and I was wondering what information I should gather and take to them to get the ball rolling on creating a driver.

The basic part numbers of the cameras are in the wiki.

The developers (so far) hang out on the various IRC channels  (there are Matrix/Telegram etc bridges) where real techy questions can be answered. There is also an unlisted developer specific channel (if your folk make suitable noises on the general Pinephone channel highly likely they will get an invite). Folks there can more accurately explain what does and does not exist so far.

{ I happen to have stumbled across it and do stalk there, mainly as I am in absolute awe of the folks doing the heavy lifting! I coded Fortran around 1975 and project managed software development in another life: I find today's open source tools & co-operations completely mind blowing - and have no real way of thanking the various PinePhone (and Linux and Phosh and ...) developers enough! }
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
(04-01-2022, 04:09 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
I have people who may be able to help me create one and I was wondering what information I should gather and take to them to get the ball rolling on creating a driver.

The basic part numbers of the cameras are in the wiki.

The developers (so far) hang out on the various IRC channels  (there are Matrix/Telegram etc bridges) where real techy questions can be answered. There is also an unlisted developer specific channel (if your folk make suitable noises on the general Pinephone channel highly likely they will get an invite). Folks there can more accurately explain what does and does not exist so far.

{ I happen to have stumbled across it and do stalk there, mainly as I am in absolute awe of the folks doing the heavy lifting! I coded Fortran around 1975 and project managed software development in another life: I find today's open source tools & co-operations completely mind blowing - and have no real way of thanking the various PinePhone (and Linux and Phosh and ...) developers enough! }
Fingers crossed I can get something created
(04-01-2022, 11:16 PM)TheRealThor Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 04:09 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
Fingers crossed I can get something created

Any luck on the camera drivers?
dukla2000 how have you been,
So sorry it took me forever to get back to you. I found Linux drivers that have been written for the two cameras and I wasn't able to get the help with putting the drivers into the kernel, I did have a look at doing it myself but I don't have the time to learn the skills needed. Below are some links to the drivers, who where guys that do this sort of thing that you told me about on discord.

IMX258: Sony IMX258 sensor
https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/VIDEO_IMX258.html
https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Proces...light/true
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.18-r...c/imx258.c

Omnivision ov8858 sensor
https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/VIDEO_OV8858.html
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.15-r...c/ov8858.c
https://github.com/54shady/qop_kernel/bl...c/ov8858.c
Thanks for those links, I will try pass them on.

In fact in the last 10 days or so there have been giant leaps in getting the PPP cameras into action, see Megi's blogs here.
This are amazing news.

Anyone installed the new kernel and tested the cam app?

I tried with downloading the newest kernel 5.18 from manjaro with pacman, then the camera app from megi .
When trying to take a picture with:

Quote:./ppp-cam-202205291504-0.1 --gui --output /home/magdesign/Pictures/ --format jpg

It fails with:
Quote:ERROR: Failed to open entity imx258 1-001a: /dev/char/0:0

Is the camera not supported with kernel 5.18 installed via pacman, do I need to install the 5.18 kernel directly from megi.

Edit:
Downloaded 5.18 kernel from megi, manually copied files to /boot and /lib, but I guess this is not how to install a kernel...
(06-01-2022, 10:42 AM)magdesign Wrote: This are amazing news.

Anyone installed the new kernel and tested the cam app?

I tried with downloading the newest kernel 5.18 from manjaro with pacman, then the camera app from megi .
When trying to take a picture with:

Quote:./ppp-cam-202205291504-0.1 --gui --output /home/magdesign/Pictures/ --format jpg

It fails with:
Quote:ERROR: Failed to open entity imx258 1-001a: /dev/char/0:0

Is the camera not supported with kernel 5.18 installed via pacman, do I need to install the 5.18 kernel directly from megi.

Edit:
Downloaded 5.18 kernel from megi, manually copied files to /boot and /lib, but I guess this is not how to install a kernel...

magdesign how are you,
How have you been going with the camera, I only just had the chance to git clone the software it and now I need to update the kernel and am quires to hear your thoughts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone only turns on sometimes zvavybir 1 83 Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Last Post: zvavybir
  PinePhone Pro Explorer's edition Qualcomm modem recovery shifras 7 821 03-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Screen turning off and booting problems with the Pinephone Pro xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4 0 157 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4
  Pinephone Pro LCD and Touchscreen Hobgoblin 8 3,523 01-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: shifras
  Recurrent problems with broken charger chip on the pinephone/pinephone pro keyboard Jite 4 1,034 11-18-2023, 07:25 AM
Last Post: crocspot
Thumbs Up Pinephone Pro + Keyboard for sale Jimmy88 1 574 09-18-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Anperson222
  is it possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone hannescam 7 2,426 08-13-2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone pro packet injection for internal wifi chipset covar 1 704 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: fxc
  PinePhone Keyboard won't work. read_kb_reg(PPKB_SYS_CONFIG) needs what? jovval 0 453 07-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: jovval
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,389 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life