no boot white led flashing
debian bullseye
setup: 32Gb SD-Card for the debian-installer
32 GB emmc for the OS

tried the official debian iso via usb-stick. The problem is known since 2020. The iso wants to boot with grub and this - of course - fails due to EFI.
OK did the debian-installer on SD-Card and installed on emmc.

Result: rockpro is not booting any more and the white led is flashing.
Recloned the debian-installer on the sd-card again ... same result
removed the emmc - same result
inserted the previously working armbian emmc - same result.

I am confused!
Futhermore, the rockpro64 wiki did not feed me with informations about the default LED-Status.

Thanks for input...
(03-27-2022, 07:36 AM)moserwi Wrote: debian bullseye
setup: 32Gb SD-Card for the debian-installer
32 GB emmc for the OS

tried the official debian iso via usb-stick. The problem is known since 2020. The iso wants to boot with grub and this - of course - fails due to EFI.
OK did the debian-installer on SD-Card and installed on emmc.

Result: rockpro is not booting any more and the white led is flashing.
Recloned the debian-installer on the sd-card again ... same result
removed the emmc - same result
inserted the previously working armbian emmc - same result.

I am confused!
Futhermore, the rockpro64 wiki did not feed me with informations about the default LED-Status.

Thanks for input...

Just write the Debian Bullseye image directly to SD card and try booting. For the moment forget about eMMC. If that doesn't work try one of the Armbian images which you can find here https://armbian.hosthatch.com/archive/ro...4/archive/
Well I want to stick on debian mainline stable It is really a pity that there is no qualified output from debian as even the so called stable versions are
buggy.

A list:
almost all pine64 can not be installed with the official *.iso installer
rock64 - debian-installer refuses to boot
rockpro64 - debian-installer has to be on the SD-Card an the installation has to be done on the SD-Card. The installer remains on the SD-Card
pinebookpro with debian -no way but armbian did it.

I believe armbian is the first in line for arm
then Ubuntu
then debian SID & testing
then debian stable

So I have no excuses for the debian stable branch which is not even able to provide a proper and painless installer like amd64/i386_64
It looks like a strategy to keep people off arm cpu's.
Ant this is an ongoing pain in the .. since 2018 since four years...

In fact we are throwing 1/3 of our manhours away for silly and for the pro's simple tasks.
They did not even guess that grub and EFI is not a good relation.
(03-28-2022, 02:19 PM)moserwi Wrote: Well I want to stick on debian mainline stable It is really a pity that there is no qualified output from debian as even the so called stable versions are
buggy.

A list:
rock64 - debian-installer refuses to boot
rockpro64 - debian-installer has to be on the SD-Card an the installation has to be done on the SD-Card. The installer remains on the SD-Card

then Ubuntu
then debian stable

So I have no excuses for the debian stable branch which is not even able to provide a proper and painless installer like amd64/i386_64

In fact we are throwing 1/3 of our manhours away for silly and for the pro's simple tasks.

I thought your post was about a non booting RockPro64. I suggested Armbian as a means of testing the board. This is a tinkerers board and the work needs to be put in to get a particular flavour of Linux to boot it. I'm afraid there's nothing else I can help you with other than what I previously suggested. Best if you contact the manufacturer directly.
(03-28-2022, 07:26 PM)Rocklobster Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 02:19 PM)moserwi Wrote: Well I want to stick on debian mainline stable It is really a pity that there is no qualified output from debian as even the so called stable versions are
buggy.

A list:
rock64 - debian-installer  refuses to boot

then Ubuntu
then debian stable

I thought your post was about a non booting RockPro64. I suggested Armbian as a means of testing the board. This is a tinkerers board and the work needs to be put in to get a particular flavour of Linux to boot it. I'm afraid there's nothing else I can help you with other than what I previously suggested. Best if you contact the manufacturer directly.
i am having issues booting a rockpro64 after newly flashed  SDcard and all the LED's come one (even the white, blinking one), but nothing comes out of hdmi. there is a slight chance that i may have accidentally shorted something near the hdmi port and am not realizing that, BUT, i am trying to use armbian 22.11.1 kernel 5.15.80 and having the same 'not booting' issue. i have used this image before, so i KNOW 100% it works. i have updated as much as i could through armbian-config, so maybe it updated some firmware for something (i cant specifically remember) and this is causing my problems? i'm not sure. i'm trying to eliminate the fact that i didnt accidentally short out the port. but, what he said is correct, from what i can tell, that IS indeed an issue about a rockpro64 they're talking about.
I came in to do a post on similar behavior, but I might as well attach it to this. 

This has now happened with two different boards, and 2 5a PSUs, with two 8g EMMCs purchased from Pine.  And two factory heatsinks with pads.

It has happened with both Armbian server and desktop, and DietPi, which is the same kernel as Armbian.

The behavior is that everything installs and runs fine. I put Emby or Jellyfin on them, they scan the libraries. Everything is fine. 

Then they randomly shut off, or actually I have no idea what happens. The screen goes black. The white LED stops flashing. The SSH session dies. Green light stays on.

Then they will sometimes, seemingly randomly, reboot successfully.  Everything is fine. No errors in the boot text.

Then the same thing. Screen is on, but black.  No white flashing LED.  Reboot does the same.

Oh and the first board, which is totally dark now, did the same thing with a brand new SD card.  Set it all up, rebooted. No white LED and black screen.

It's screwy.

NOTE: I HAVE TO PUT THIS ON HOLD AS DEFINITIVE OF THE PROBLEM.

It could be that it was a coincidence that the EMMC and SD card both failed in the same way. I don't know. I reburned the second EMMC, and it did seem to shut off on me once, but since I plugged it back in, and make sure the socket was all the way deep in, it seems like it is not failing after several reboots. Could it possibly be that I just was not seating the plug in deep enough? I don't know. But I did take the working EMMC off of the working board and put it on the board that was dead dead, and it booted again just fine, and now has continued to reboot. So I just burned an EMMC that I had from Hardkernel, which are the same, and it booted the other board fine.

I have yet to see if it quits again. But unless someone has seen this specific thing, I would just put it on hold for now as to ideas on how to tackle it. Thanks. Smile
So yes it did quit again, disappointingly. So I moved this to a different thread in hopes that it is solved and marked as so for people who have this problem in the future. After a couple days nobody has answered that either so far. Maybe this is a real actual problem?
You could try
https://arm-files.devuan.org/
There is a rockpro image, the README is the install script
ie,, expand it on hd (and read README, alter for correct device, run it), don't just write to SD
seems to work OK
-----
Note: to put on emmc edit boot.cmd ,, remake image (boot.scr), change fstab (blk2)
-----
and how this image got made....https://github.com/pyavitz/debian-image-builder
Every image i have made (so far) boots
You may well have to tinker with the scripts, if you don't have right OS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  enble boot after power loss/restore dkebler 18 8,870 12-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: ok38
  Mainline U-Boot with SPI, NVMe and SATA boot support sigmaris 108 115,953 09-25-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: ChriChri
Bug Broken boot: What am I missing? mkosarek 1 596 09-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,048 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  u-boot locked on pine64pro ljones 1 1,461 09-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Last Post: ljones
  Cannot get my board to boot deutschlmao 11 7,770 09-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: ljones
  U-BOOT Tutorial hazz 0 1,096 07-19-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Post: hazz
  Installation Debian on emmc: which U-Boot and where? vongillus 3 2,649 07-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: dkebler
  ROCKPRO64 PCI SSD SD-boot Install pspgarret 0 1,102 06-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: pspgarret
  RockPro64 has no white led, nor will it boot past... AnjinMeili 2 1,881 05-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster