Bluetooth sync software
Hi all,

I run the Herald Bluetooth Proximity project (part of Linux Foundation Public Health). This was originally for COVID-19 digital contact tracing app proximity, but can be used for general Bluetooth interoperability too. I've been thinking for a while a mobile app to share information, and eventually to sync data/settings might be useful between laptops/phones of different OS and models.

Would there be any particular angle to make this useful to PinePhone Pro users? I have a PinePhone and have just bought (yet to receive) a PinePhone Pro. It occurs to me that comms between different Pine-Things may be useful.

If there are particular scenarios people can think of do let me know. E.g. FindMyPinePhone, clipboard sharing, initial copying over of settings to a new phone, link to an opensource eHealth wearable and so on. (Note: We have C++, Java-Android, and Swift-iOS libraries that all interoperate).

All feedback welcome. Here's a link to the project itself if interested:-
https://heraldprox.io/herald

Thanks,

Adam.
(03-21-2022, 11:51 AM)adamfowleruk Wrote: Hi all,

I run the Herald Bluetooth Proximity project (part of Linux Foundation Public Health). This was originally for COVID-19 digital contact tracing app proximity, but can be used for general Bluetooth interoperability too. I've been thinking for a while a mobile app to share information, and eventually to sync data/settings might be useful between laptops/phones of different OS and models.

Would there be any particular angle to make this useful to PinePhone Pro users? I have a PinePhone and have just bought (yet to receive) a PinePhone Pro. It occurs to me that comms between different Pine-Things may be useful.

If there are particular scenarios people can think of do let me know. E.g. FindMyPinePhone, clipboard sharing, initial copying over of settings to a new phone, link to an opensource eHealth wearable and so on. (Note: We have C++, Java-Android, and Swift-iOS libraries that all interoperate).

All feedback welcome. Here's a link to the project itself if interested:-
https://heraldprox.io/herald

Thanks,

Adam.

I have previously used bluetooth networking regularly with PAN(network access point) sharing internet from my Linux N900, a SMS bridge using IM to type them on the laptop, and I could SSH in to do stuff on the phone as required all without the power waste of WiFi especially in the field or on the train.
I would like to see an VNC like screen and clipboard sharing window similar to SCRCPY(uses ADB) on Android, bluetooth linking a heart rate monitor for cycling, and probably a full GTK functional rebuild of gadgetbridge for smartwatches.
The bluetooth network tether is probably the most important missing daily driver feature though.
The Herald Bluetooth Proximity project sounds like it could be used for bluetooth fidonet like message delivery in places where the internet is down for whatever reason disaster or oppression similar to the limited function in Briar.  https://briarproject.org/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  asking for CLI-friendly software recommendations andrew907 9 1,192 11-18-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Mobian Phosh Gnome Software Is Recommending A Broken Update. mburns 0 546 10-14-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Wifi 2.4G speed decreased by Bluetooth connection established Piotr 2 996 03-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How can one change eg25-g modem software? tckosvic 1 1,197 05-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: magdesign