Warning!!- sim card adapter destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro
I just destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro. Cry Sick  
DO NOT put a sim card adapter in  the phone without a sim in it!! it will destroy  the pins in the sim holder!
(I was keeping the adapter in the phone when I was not using my pinephone so I wouldn't lose it.)

I have a phone (lg g4) that has a similar layout (SD on top of sim card). I might be able to replace the card holder with that one.
I destroyed my OG PinePhone's microSD card reader using an extender. It made me feel horrible.
It's good to give people a warning so they know beforehand, hopefully people will come across this thread before they find themselves in the same situation.
Be very careful with the SIM and microSD card readers, they're probably the most delicate parts of the phone.
On one hand I have not yet had any problems with my sim/sd card holder.

On some of my original Pine phones I have swapped the sd cards hundreds of times without any issues.
--- On my extra "test phones" I have swapped the correct sized sim cards a few times without any issues.

BUT when I used the adapter to put my old sim into what is now a daily driver, 
--- it was very tight and kinda snapped into place.

I told myself  "I Should Have just got the correct sized sim card",    
---  I do think it will just rip out those delicate little contacts when I try to remove it.
---  (It does at least work for now)

I cannot Blame Pine64, ---  for me using an adapter that I was uncomfortable with before I used it,
---  but   "I used it anyway"...

(AND now I am considering changing my carrier)  Sad

Including my new Explorer phone I am up to 6 Pine phones now, but only one is used as a daily user
So I will not have to purchase a replacement phone when or if that does break, but it is still frustrating.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-20-2022, 12:21 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Including my new Explorer phone I am up to 6 Pine phones now

bcnaz keeping PINE64 in business all by himself! Big Grin
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
There should be some notices on this weakness !

A Friend just wiped out her brand new Pro phone just by "using this Adapter" ..!

What is worse yet ?

How about you cannot even buy a new Pro motherboad !

You MUST but Another Complete phone, because you used an adapter that came with your phone....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-19-2022, 05:00 PM)ANDROID2468 Wrote: I just destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro. Cry Sick  
DO NOT put a sim card adapter in  the phone without a sim in it!! it will destroy  the pins in the sim holder!
(I was keeping the adapter in the phone when I was not using my pinephone so I wouldn't lose it.)

I have a phone (lg g4) that has a similar layout (SD on top of sim card). I might be able to replace the card holder with that one.

Were you able to fix the phone with an LG sim card holder? I also broke mine after 4 times and the one pin broke off.
I have also heard that a Molex sim card holder is a near perfect fit.
(03-26-2022, 07:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: There should be some notices on this weakness  !

A Friend just wiped out her brand new Pro phone just by "using this Adapter" ..!

What is worse yet  ?

How about you cannot even buy a new Pro motherboad ! 

You MUST but Another Complete phone,  because you used an adapter that came with your phone....

I would suggest to open a ticket under support.pine64.org regarding a replacement. Attaching a picture of the defect to the ticket is advised.

For clarifications, there are big warnings on both, the wiki and the printed manuals (see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...time_setup and https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#F...stallation). The mainboard is only currently not yet available in the store, I think the regular PinePhone's Braveheart Edition didn't have replacement parts and mainboards in the store back then either and I assume it makes sense for Pine not to produce a large amount of replacement mainboards if a new hardware revision is possible for the next batch. The mainboard itself will probably be however a large part of the overall phone price.
good time to put this warning!

https://barrelmem.s3.eu-north-1.amazonaw...index.html

if you have put adapter inside, one way to get out (half-)safely, is to put nano sim inside and then slide it. still putting adapter without nano-sim is a bad idea.

[Image: dontdothis4ss.jpg]
(05-15-2022, 08:05 AM)zetabeta Wrote: good time to put this warning!

https://barrelmem.s3.eu-north-1.amazonaw...index.html

if you have put adapter inside, one way to get out (half-)safely, is to put nano sim inside and then slide it. still putting adapter without nano-sim is a bad idea.

[Image: dontdothis4ss.jpg]

I completely agree with you but unfortunately hundreds of us did not know that at the time. It's logical to put an adaptor in the slot BUT NOT ON PINEPHONE PRO !!    ;(
Regardless I would use a piece of scotch tape on the adaptor and sim card to remove and this way no pressure is applied in any way downward and simply pull gently out laterally. I also used an old credit card and stacked to the exact height of the adaptor and the card would easily slide out directly onto the stacked credit cards however after the 4th attempt I broke a sim card pin.
Yep, I made this mistake and was able to get a very thin nail file in between the prongs and the lip of the adapter. Removed it without damage, but if I had pulled any harder it was going to break those contacts. Won't do that again! Getting even the adapter out with the SIM in though is a risky chore...hopefully Pine will mod their design a little to make SIM swapping easier.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone yet received replacement sim/sd card holder tckosvic 19 8,486 06-16-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: fxc
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,390 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  New out of box phone, vibrates and solid red light on charging StuckInTheCloud 1 832 03-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Question on the keyboard battery with phone knoxvilles_joker 0 1,001 08-27-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: knoxvilles_joker
  PinePhone Pro Motherboard with sim card holder tckosvic 1 1,529 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine Store : Pine phone Pro Parts ? bcnaz 7 4,158 04-08-2022, 09:45 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Pine Phone Pro issues gmastap 0 1,164 03-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Last Post: gmastap
  Replace PPP sim card/sd card slot hardware tckosvic 5 3,961 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  How to remove the sim card liberty1234 6 4,088 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  SD Card insertion depth nristen 4 2,865 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nristen