New Pinephone Pro
Hi all!

I've recieved a new Pinephone Pro explorer edition and am about to fire it up. I've been following pinephone development closely over the past couple of years and excited to try it out.

I have a fair amount of linux experience with multiple different distros over the years. That being said, I'm not a hard core programmer but more of a tinkerer.

I had two main questions before getting started.

Tow-boot vs u-boot?

Seems like the big show-stopper bug for now with the PPP is power managment. It seems like many people have installed Tow-boot to help deal with this, but there are others that seem to be making progress using the u-boot that came by default. Should I just switch over to Tow Boot right off the bat? Are there disadvantages to doing this?

Best distro to get started with at the moment

I know that people are asking this all the time, but this seems pretty fluid and changes frequently. I know that any of them will have problems and need work in development. I just was trying to get started on a reasonably good footing.

I have read that Manjaro Plasma unstable branch has made some real progress with power managment. However, it seems like people have had some significant trouble trying to update the pre-installed image of manjaro plasma on the explorer edition. Should I just flash a new image to an SD and try out that? Or has anybody sucessfully updated from the Manjaro Plasma using the unstable branch from the preflashed image.

Thanks so much for the help! Looking forward to trying this out and contributing back what I can.
On the Pro series phones :
... "I" think Arch is the easiest to use "Out of the Box" distro at this moment.

Mobian is having problems with suspend on the "Pro series" phones,
.... if you turn off suspend, it runs great, but then it has a short battery life.

Phosh for the desktop seems to be the most dependable interface at this time.

Have 1 Brave Heart, 3 PMOS convergent, 1 Manjaro convergent, 1 Explorer Pro phones.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I Second Arch for usability. Power management under u-boot and MMS on Arch have also greatly improved recently.
(03-12-2022, 10:05 AM)Airdale Wrote: ...
Tow-boot vs u-boot?

I have played a lot with Tow-boot and dual booting. I really do not think there is much point for a single use OS - indeed it adds a 10 second delay to the boot (I presume to display an options menu if you have a console attached) which is a PITA. So my 6p - do not rush to Tow-boot.

(03-12-2022, 10:05 AM)Airdale Wrote: ...
Best distro to get started with at the moment

Mobian. Closely followed by arch. Put either on an SDcard, overwrite the boot code on the eMMC and enjoy. Note that, at present, resume will NOT work for an OS installed on the eMMC (whatever I do to Tow-boot or u-boot) so stick to SDcard if you need battery life.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,088 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 460 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,601 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma