Will you use the PinePhone as not a phone?
Yes
62.50%
No
25.00%
what's the point of it being a phone then
12.50%
8 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Show me your "portable" PinePhone Pro setup!
I'll go first.

Here is my phonputer, it runs Arch Linux ARM and use Sway (not sxmo) as the environment. It is designed to require a keyboard for function.

https://imgur.com/a/th8HkTG
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
I'm using my Pro as a mini laptop with the keyboard case.  Still works for calls and texts but I mainly use my phone for browsing and chatting so the keyboard is awesome.  Running GNOME shell at 100% scaling and can even multitask pretty well.
(03-11-2022, 12:15 AM)CalcProgrammer1 Wrote: I'm using my Pro as a mini laptop with the keyboard case.  Still works for calls and texts but I mainly use my phone for browsing and chatting so the keyboard is awesome.  Running GNOME shell at 100% scaling and can even multitask pretty well.

That's really nice. I wish the Pro has a 1080p display.. Big Grin
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
As we are going to travel the world by bicycle and I am a Linux geek,
I want to use my PinePhonePro as a mini laptop to do all sort of stuff:

From navigation, to surfing the web, to edit photos or movies, write blogs, code some websites, doing graphic designs, hacking some other stuff together, paying bills, doing presentations.....

To be able to receive sms is quite nice for online banking and 2-fa logins, but in my opinion there should be much more focus on working convergence, since this is the real killer feature...  Cool

Taking a real laptop with a power-supply and a world power adaptor is a no go, too heavy, too big and it will be broken after a few weeks in rough conditions...

BTW.
Yesterday I tried to produce a convergence promo movie for the ppp only using the ppp and a op6 with ubports as a camera.
Sadly there are a few simple tools missing to do so (but I got quite far!!!), I will try again as soon as some stuff gets fixed:

- window borders to resize, move programs
- screenshot function for the convergence monitor (this is essential)
- running krita on kde (gimp works, krita needs to be built against qt5-es2)
- longer battery life (it somehow does not really charge in convergence...)
Id love to show my setup for the PPP, but  its not functional yet....  I did the buy the hardware and prey the software would work, but alas  in  no mans land  with it at the moment....

Hardware,  PPP-EE  and Uperfect X LapDock  (almost the same as Nexdock 360)      hoping that  Magi's notes on  USB-C  Alt mode DP    will get  some people to head in the right direction https://xnux.eu/log/#063

A nice thing would be  in the  top of the display  if you could toggle on a  watts meter  so  that when using differing software  one could get a sense of the power usage as there is plenty of    black holes  for power usage....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 204 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 249 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 413 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 570 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,998 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 9,862 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 659 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,123 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,070 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack
  Is my pinephone pro worth resurrecting? tckosvic 5 2,821 09-14-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: DaForest