manjaro-phosh did make calls -- now nothing
I had manjaro-phosh img beta 22 working quite well with voice, sms, amd mms.  I am using Consumer Cellular (really att) sim card.  I am running from SD.  After a pacman system update all phone calls, sms, amd mms stopped.  Phone says "call completed" from dial as soon as you finsh keying in a dial call.  Sim card is recognized

I have tried a dozen or so OS/desktop software alternatives to the sd card; no change.  I tried arch and mobian OS.  I took sim card out and put the sim card into plain pinephone (not pro) and it made a call.  That eliminates the sim card as a fault for me.

Is there any system modem software (hardware level for modem) that is below that on the OS SD card that could be a cause?  Perhaps something on the eMMC but that is not used.

Only alternative thing I can think of is a modem hardware failure that happened concurrently with the pacman update.  That'd be pretty unlikely, I think.

Anyone with any ideas?????      thanks,      tom kosvic
(03-05-2022, 01:52 PM)tckosvic Wrote: I had manjaro-phosh img beta 22 working quite well with voice, sms, amd mms.  I am using Consumer Cellular (really att) sim card.  I am running from SD.  After a pacman system update all phone calls, sms, amd mms stopped.  Phone says "call completed" from dial as soon as you finsh keying in a dial call.  Sim card is recognized

I have tried a dozen or so OS/desktop software alternatives to the sd card; no change.  I tried arch and mobian OS.  I took sim card out and put the sim card into plain pinephone (not pro) and it made a call.  That eliminates the sim card as a fault for me.

Is there any system modem software (hardware level for modem) that is below that on the OS SD card that could be a cause?  Perhaps something on the eMMC but that is not used.

Only alternative thing I can think of is a modem hardware failure that happened concurrently with the pacman update.  That'd be pretty unlikely, I think.

Anyone with any ideas?????      thanks,      tom kosvic

I need some means to detect whether PPP with no calls, etc is related to a software problem or a hardware problem.  sim card works in old pinephone. wifi works.
Until then, a cell phone that can't communicate is not worth anything to me.  I have made many inputs to this forum but I can't go forward.

thanks,      tom kosvicold
Have you inspected the sim slot at all for broken or bent pins? This will be the most telltale sign of a hardware failure.
I haven't had to troubleshoot my modem yet, so I am not sure of any commands to help with that part. Does the phone recognize the sim at all?
The sim connection icon is shown on the PPP front page at the top along with wireless, etc I think there is connectivity but how good is not known.

Hardware issues could be the modem itself or the sim card holder as you suggested. I have also suspected sim holder as a culprit which is addresssed by me in another thread.

tom kosvic
(03-06-2022, 05:44 PM)tckosvic Wrote: The sim connection icon  is shown on the PPP front page at the top along with wireless, etc  I think there is connectivity but how good is not known.

Hardware issues could be the modem itself or the sim card holder as you suggested.  I have also suspected sim holder as a culprit which is addresssed by me in another thread.

tom kosvic
If you have the sim icon, then I assume that the modem itself *should* be okay.
If you can try to get a good picture of your sim and sd slot, you might be able to zoom in and see the pins better to check for broken contacts. 
Otherwise, we might want to find commands to run to check your modem status when the sim is inserted.
(03-06-2022, 07:05 PM)Dragonborn Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 05:44 PM)tckosvic Wrote: The sim connection icon  is shown on the PPP front page at the top along with wireless, etc  I think there is connectivity but how good is not known.

Hardware issues could be the modem itself or the sim card holder as you suggested.  I have also suspected sim holder as a culprit which is addresssed by me in another thread.

tom kosvic
If you can try to get a good picture of your sim and sd slot, you might be able to zoom in and see the pins better to check for broken contacts. 
Otherwise, we might want to find commands to run to check your modem status when the sim is inserted.

The possible causes of "no calls" as I see it are:  sim card holder hardware,  modem hardware, modem software.  I think sim card itself is eliminated as it is running in my old PP and can make and answer calls.  I thin OS is eliminated as I tried so many.  And, yes, I am looking for info on any modem hardware/software diagnostic processes but no answers.  So I am messing with PP again.  By the way it is much better now.
(03-07-2022, 12:01 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 07:05 PM)Dragonborn Wrote:

tom kosvic

The possible causes of "no calls" as I see it are:  sim card holder hardware,  modem hardware, modem software.  I think sim card itself is eliminated as it is running in my old PP and can make and answer calls.  I thin OS is eliminated as I tried so many.  And, yes, I am looking for info on any modem hardware/software diagnostic processes but no answers.  So I am messing with PP again.  By the way it is much better now.
With PPP unworkable, I put sim card back in PP and installed manjaro-phosh beta 23.  Phone works in and out, sms works in and out.  mms works sometimes.  youtube video plays with audio. wifi gets internet through firefox.  that's all i ever use a cell phone for.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PPhonePro (Manjaro AMR + Phosh) with keyboard does not shutdown but restarts instead timt 0 1,022 08-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: timt
  PPP microphone not working for calls, is this normal? サーバント 4 3,043 04-10-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: mburns
  PPP did make calls -- now will not tckosvic 1 1,456 03-01-2022, 10:08 PM
Last Post: tckosvic