Modem Dead?
Hey all,

I have been using my PinePhone quite consistently now for months now and have been enjoying the experience.  I had to run out and buy a cheap flip phone though out of necessity because it seems my modem may have died.

I have tried resetting the device, even letting it sit off for a while, and messing with the physical switches, but to no avail.  The cellular icon is grayed out and has a slash through it, and the mobile options have completely disappeared from settings.

Has anyone had this issue, and is there a fix, or do I need a new mobo?

grimlok
(03-04-2022, 09:09 PM)grimlok Wrote: Hey all,

I have been using my PinePhone quite consistently now for months now and have been enjoying the experience.  I had to run out and buy a cheap flip phone though out of necessity because it seems my modem may have died.

I have tried resetting the device, even letting it sit off for a while, and messing with the physical switches, but to no avail.  The cellular icon is grayed out and has a slash through it, and the mobile options have completely disappeared from settings.

grimlok

command "lsusb". if modem is alive you should see something maybe "ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode)", "EC25 LTE Modem"  or something else. if nothing, then it's a bad sign it's dead.

https://github.com/Biktorgj/quectel_eg25_recovery
however, possibly using usb_boot you may be able to boot into edl mode and fix it. it's somewhat difficult and it does not guarantee anything.
(03-04-2022, 09:09 PM)grimlok Wrote: Hey all,

grimlok

What distro have you been using? Stable or unstable branch? Done any updates before it disappeared?
Have you tried another distro (SD card)?

As zetabeta indicated, hopefully it is showing in lsusb.

If it is, have you checked logs?
sudo journalctl -b | grep modem
sudo journalctl -b | grep modemmanager
sudo journalctl -b | grep eg25-manager

If showing in lsusb and distro is using mmcli, turn it on
mmcli -m any -e
check eg with
mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims"'

Telephony is broken for me in current Plasma Mobile stable and unstable since the switch to ModemManager, though it never really worked that with with ofono before. I imagine you'd see the modem in lsusb though.
eg25-manager (if used) controls the modem too so try restarting it / checking logs:
sudo systemctl restart eg25-manager

I remember the modem vanishing on Mobian (probably doesn't apply here but you never know) after updates to eg25-manager. I was using my modified config file and have placed it in /etc/eg25-manager to avoid it being changed after updates. But the original file had changed and was no longer compatible with eg25-manager (checked with diff). After changing the new config file as required and rebooting / restarting eg25-manager, everything worked again.

Not sure any of this will help, the eg25-manager config file thing did make the modem disappear for me, to my surprise.
Hope others may be able to help if it doesn't show on lsusb.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
Can you communicate with the modem using atinout in a terminal?

Something like:

Code:
atinout - /dev/ttyUSB2 out.txt << EOF
        > AT
        > EOF
        cat ./out.txt # should output OK
Yeah, the modem is dead.  It doesn't show up at all.  I have decided that I will just let sleeping dogs lie, and went out and got a cheep flip phone.  I've also decided I'd rather have a dumb phone rather than a smartphone anyways.

Thank you all for your help though.

Peace to you.
Possibly a sim card problem ?
The modem does seem to "disappear" whenever there is a sim card problem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,341 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 362 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  digitizer dead Uturn 1 1,301 08-24-2023, 08:14 PM
Last Post: nroth
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,231 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  PinePhone Beta dead - no boot-related output on serial interface horalocal 1 1,256 02-15-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: fxc
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,074 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,545 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,103 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641
  Need command to tell what modem firmware I am on. purpletiger 4 2,650 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton