Needed -- list of PPP hardware button combinations
Throughout these threads there are a myriad of hardware button, RE button combinations suggested to accomplish specific things.  At times these seem to be conflicting with other suggested combinations.  I am talking about; power on key, volume up-down, RE button, connect to charger,  or connect to computer.   Some instructions say, for example,  hold RE; plug in USB, OR hold power on: hold volume down, etc.  

Would someone knowledgeable either point me (all of us) to a list of these key combinations or create a list?  Need the key combination and what is the purpose.  Also any special instructions such as: "Hold RE for 5 seconds after release of power on key".

Thanks,       tom kosvic
(03-04-2022, 08:47 AM)tckosvic Wrote: Throughout these threads there are a myriad of hardware button, RE button combinations suggested to accomplish specific things.  At times these seem to be conflicting with other suggested combinations.  I am talking about; power on key, volume up-down, RE button, connect to charger,  or connect to computer.   Some instructions say, for example,  hold RE; plug in USB, OR hold power on: hold volume down, etc.  

Would someone knowledgeable either point me (all of us) to a list of these key combinations or create a list?  Need the key combination and what is the purpose.  Also any special instructions such as: "Hold RE for 5 seconds after release of power on key".

Thanks,       tom kosvic

There are no such combinations. The PinePhone Pro boots from eMMC by default and to make it boot from microSD card (for example after your eMMC installation got corrupted) you need to hold the RE button at boot to disable the eMMC while booting.

This has to be done at boot of course, so not holding the button long enough or too late won't help. It would also not make any sense to hold the button while the phone is running, so steps such as "remove the battery" or "remove the USB-C cable" makes sure your phone is actually turned off. Simply follow the wiki instructions, as those are written to work and they are tested plenty of times, https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro#Boot_order.
(03-04-2022, 10:00 AM)fxc Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 08:47 AM)tckosvic Wrote: Throughout these threads there are a myriad of hardware button, RE button combinations suggested to accomplish specific things.  At times these seem to be conflicting with other suggested combinations.  I am talking about; power on key, volume up-down, RE button, connect to charger,  or connect to computer.   Some instructions say, for example,  hold RE; plug in USB, OR hold power on: hold volume down, etc.  

Thanks,       tom kosvic

There are no such combinations. The PinePhone Pro boots from eMMC by default and to make it boot from microSD card (for example after your eMMC installation got corrupted) you need to hold the RE button at boot to disable the eMMC while booting.

This has to be done at boot of course, so not holding the button long enough or too late won't help. It would also not make any sense to hold the button while the phone is running, so steps such as "remove the battery" or "remove the USB-C cable" makes sure your phone is actually turned off. Simply follow the wiki instructions, as those are written to work and they are tested plenty of times, https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro#Boot_order.

I disagree, go through these threads and you will see a myriad of key combinations recommended. Read my other thread on the wiki instructions. The "as received" default is to boot from the sd.
When you boot your computer and it tells you to hold F12 to start the BIOS, how many keys do you need to hold to access the BIOS? The answer is 1, the F12 key. If you press it too late, you will end in Ubuntu. If Ubuntu is running, your PC won't start the BIOS when you press F12. If power is not plugged in, your BIOS won't start. If your PC is stuck in GRUB and you have no display output and you press F12, the BIOS won't load either.

To boot the microSD card on the PinePhone Pro, you need to hold the RE key at boot.
Tow-Boot gives you some options. I highly recommend it.
https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/pull/67
(03-04-2022, 12:23 PM)fxc Wrote: When you boot your computer and it tells you to hold F12 to start the BIOS, how many keys do you need to hold to access the BIOS? The answer is 1, the F12 key. If you press it too late, you will end in Ubuntu. If Ubuntu is running, your PC won't start the BIOS when you press F12. If power is not plugged in, your BIOS won't start. If your PC is stuck in GRUB and you have no display output and you press F12, the BIOS won't load either.

To boot the microSD card on the PinePhone Pro, you need to hold the RE key at boot.

Catching the boot in bios, then give you access to choices as to what to boot from. There's no choices here.

Your instruction mean that you need to disassemble the phone every time you want to boot. Maybe drill a hole in back cover to depress RE?
(03-04-2022, 01:46 PM)tckosvic Wrote: Your instruction mean that you need to disassemble the phone every time you want to boot. Maybe drill a hole in back cover to depress RE?

I wouldn't classify popping the cover off as having to "disassemble the phone".
(03-04-2022, 01:56 PM)Barugon Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 01:46 PM)tckosvic Wrote: Your instruction mean that you need to disassemble the phone every time you want to boot.  Maybe drill a hole in back cover to depress RE?

I wouldn't classify popping the cover off as having to "disassemble the phone".

If you're at your desk where you don't need a cellphone, removing the back cover is not a big issue.  If you're driving a car down the road, where you use a cellphone that is a big issue.

(03-04-2022, 11:58 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 10:00 AM)fxc Wrote:

Thanks,       tom kosvic

I disagree, go through these threads and you will see a myriad of key combinations recommended.  Read my other thread on the wiki instructions.  The "as received" default is to boot from the sd.

Just came across some key/button recommendations in another thread.  Posted them here:

1.Power off the phone
2.Power it on holding RE for a couple sec
3. on the Red light HOLD volume down to boot SD card (should have light blue light instead of yellow)
4. ready to install !

I can post dozens more like this from other threads.
(03-04-2022, 06:37 PM)tckosvic Wrote: Just came across some key/button recommendations in another thread.  Posted them here:

1.Power off the phone
2.Power it on holding RE for a couple sec
3. on the Red light HOLD volume down to boot SD card (should have light blue light instead of yellow)
4. ready to install !

I can post dozens more like this from other threads.

That's non-sense. LED is configured differently per OS and there is no "volume down" combination, unless you use something like Tow-Boot. Please fact-check in the source code, before spreading things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 571 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,072 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack
Question Where do i check/post/report bugs/issues with the software? (or hardware?) nande 4 2,489 04-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Needed -- Clarification of Boot SequenceInstructions tckosvic 3 2,095 03-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck -- keeps being needed tckosvic 2 1,834 02-09-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Pinephone Pro hardware revision in the works? Gooberpatrol66 1 1,498 01-19-2022, 12:39 AM
Last Post: bcnaz