calls and voice mail blocked
Question 
Hello pinephone thread,
I'll probably be searching on that problem for a while, but I case someone can help, I'll post here first.

After having using a mmcli command that was meant to reboot the modem manually, I lost the ability to make or receive call. This is, what I suspect to be the cause, but it can be due to other factors, like hardware failure or carrier blacklisting me.

Among important symptoms that I can mentions are:
- I do can send/receive sms
- But I can't call/receive calls.
- Cell tower is fully detected.
- When my sim card is inserted in pinephone, people who try to call me, are unable to leave a message on my voice mail box, as if my carrier was thinking that my pinephone was answering, thus not activating the voice mail.
- On the other hand, when sim card is inserted in android, I can call/receive call, and people can leave messages on voice mail box.
- The problem persist after installing a fresh distro, as well as an upgraded one.
I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but it might be worth asking in the Matrix chats as you might get a quicker answer.

Here is the Mobian one, which is quite active but not so active that it feels like yelling in to a void.
https://matrix.to/#/#mobian:matrix.org
What was the exact command you entered? As it sounds like that will be needed to reverse this damage.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Could it be related to VoLTE support status for your carrier? More detail about VoLTE and test commands in this thread:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12560
(02-22-2022, 07:15 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: What was the exact command you entered?  As it sounds like that will be needed to reverse this damage.

Since I thought that reinstalling a new image would resolve the problem, didn't think it could be useful to keep track of the command that caused it. Now, I learn by my mistake: some modifications are stored permanently in the modem, rather than on the sd card.

The command probably was one of those four:

mmcli -m any --command='AT+CFUN=1,1'
sudo systemctl restart eg25-manager.service
sudo systemctl restart eg25-manager
mmcli -m any --reset

There's a bug in my pinephone,some sms show up only after reboot. I thought I could just restart the modem to get those stuck sms, instead of rebooting.

Furthermore, after having gone through the mobian troubleshooting page, I succeeded bringing back the 3G cell mode, but the step toward re-enabling the voLTE 4G remains a mystery. I suspect that my carrier's system has to do some sort of digital handshake with the pinephone first.
See the post #4 above to re-enable VoLTE
Thumbs Up 
I found the solution, and I'll explain it.
I did all the steps in the link given in the link at comment #4.
Since my carrier (Bell) isn't it the list, I've tried those provided, one by one, until I found one that worked.

+QMBNCFG: "List",2,0,0,"hVoLTE-Verizon",0x05010141,202004091

I hope it will help people who are trying to enable voLTE calls with Bell.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No calls in or out on beta IsaiahSp 0 655 09-28-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: IsaiahSp
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,154 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  I cannot call or receive calls aka0kuro 6 3,018 01-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Any UK Pinephone users making telephone calls? GrapeJuice 4 3,058 01-24-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
  New screen, now cant make calls bug1 2 2,868 03-15-2021, 02:02 AM
Last Post: bug1
  Low Volume Making Calls (Ubuntu Touch) PineFuture 3 3,901 08-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity