Is Manjaro Plasma stable for anyone?
(05-06-2022, 08:11 AM)DerpABerp Wrote: I can't speak for the experience of others, but I have had no problem with calls or SMS in either Plasma or Phosh. And Plasma certainly comes with an SMS/MMS program. It's called Spacebar. Also, I have T-Mobile and my data has worked just fine on everything I've tried it on.

I also have T-Mobile (coverage). I've had no trouble with data, had no idea for SMS, as for calls, I have never received one while I had the SIM card in it. That doesn't in any way disprove call functionality. I made SURE that the band's used were covered BEFORE I bought it!

I really have begun not like my old cell phone. The fact that my SD card is limited to the size of the on board memory, which when added together is less than HALF the PinePhone's built-in memory!
 Like computing && Like Linux == good people
(05-04-2022, 02:26 PM)KNERD Wrote: That article is a couple of years old now and slightly dated.

From my point of view, it seems that most of what he predicted back then has by now come true.  And I think this will only continue to be more and more the case.  Hence, it was (IMO) a good analysis back then, and only being proven right more and more as time goes on.

(05-06-2022, 12:43 AM)Tim_D Wrote: Ok, got another question, "deeper down the rabbit hole." Being my internet is tied to my cellphone, and to a slightly larger extent, hotspot... How am I going to get an update?

Assuming by 'cellphone' you mean a PinePhone, you just upgrade your GNU/Linux distro in the normal way.  For example, on Mobian:

Code:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

I would highly recommend upgrading via command line.  Last I checked the 'software store' (or whatever it's called) was a bit buggy (to say the least).

Besides, if you are going to be using a GNU/Linux phone, might as well start to become familiar with the command line (it's very powerful).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(05-15-2022, 02:51 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 02:26 PM)KNERD Wrote: That article is a couple of years old now and slightly dated.

From my point of view, it seems that most of what he predicted back then has by now come true.  And I think this will only continue to be more and more the case.  Hence, it was (IMO) a good analysis back then, and only being proven right more and more as time goes on.

(05-06-2022, 12:43 AM)Tim_D Wrote: Ok, got another question, "deeper down the rabbit hole." Being my internet is tied to my cellphone, and to a slightly larger extent, hotspot... How am I going to get an update?

Assuming by 'cellphone' you mean a PinePhone, you just upgrade your GNU/Linux distro in the normal way.  For example, on Mobian:

Code:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

I would highly recommend upgrading via command line.  Last I checked the 'software store' (or whatever it's called) was a bit buggy (to say the least).

Besides, if you are going to be using a GNU/Linux phone, might as well start to become familiar with the command line (it's very powerful).

I DO like Linux. I'm begining to have a little contempt for Android, since it seems to have benefited from Linux but hasn't notably returned the debt. I'm a new one to Linux, just under a decade or so. I see that Linux has influenced Windows! I NEVER expected that to happen... EVER. But, just a gut feeling that Gate's wasn't likely the "boogyman" Reno thought he was. But, hey, I can have "opinions". Nobody has to listen to me though.

P.S.
Okay, there's something that's been G-nawing at me... WHY does Pine use SHA1 and NOT a newer MORE SECURE hash, likely 128, or 256? Isn't SHA1 basically equivalent to MD5?
With Manjaro Plasma stable and unstable updates, my PinePhone Pro consistently in recent days becomes inaccessible from a lock screen failure. It is necessary to setup the ssh server so that the "loginctl unlock-sessions" command can be issued. I did setup a command line access for root if that is relevant, in addition to my user account.

This week my unstable update of Manjaro Plasma disallowed even ssh access. I was not successful in setting up a batch job for unlocking with the USB drive access. And so, with no physical keyboard, a complete reinstall of Manjaro Plasma with stable updates was required. The Tow-Boot package made this reinstall fairly easy though. And now the stable update still fails to unlock.
(05-21-2022, 09:24 AM)mburns Wrote: With Manjaro Plasma stable and unstable updates, my PinePhone Pro consistently in recent days becomes inaccessible from a lock screen failure. It is necessary to setup the ssh server so that the "loginctl unlock-sessions" command can be issued. I did setup a command line access for root if that is relevant, in addition to my user account.

This week my unstable update of Manjaro Plasma disallowed even ssh access. I was not successful in setting up a batch job for unlocking with the USB drive access. And so, with no physical keyboard, a complete reinstall of Manjaro Plasma with stable updates was required. The Tow-Boot package made this reinstall fairly easy though. And now the stable update still fails to unlock.

I gave up on Manjaro Plasma however Manjaro Phosh is certainly more stable. At present I use Arch Linux Phosh on all my devices and this seems to be the most stable system. I'm using my PPP at this moment to access this site. The only true problem that remains for me with PPP as daily device is the call / sound issues. They seem to be hit and miss.
(05-21-2022, 09:40 AM)Chief Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 09:24 AM)mburns Wrote: With Manjaro Plasma stable and unstable updates, my PinePhone Pro consistently in recent days becomes inaccessible from a lock screen failure. It is necessary to setup the ssh server so that the "loginctl unlock-sessions" command can be issued. I did setup a command line access for root if that is relevant, in addition to my user account.

I gave up on Manjaro Plasma however Manjaro Phosh is certainly more stable. At present I use Arch Linux Phosh on all my devices and this seems to be the most stable system. I'm using my PPP at this moment to access this site. The only true problem that remains for me with PPP as daily device is the call / sound issues. They seem to be hit and miss.

Hahaha. I've not updated it. Nor can I! It won't recognize the USB keyboard I bought. It will also NOT display the virtual keyboard. How I am to use the command line? No idea. After some thinking I figured I could boot an external OS. Problem is, the ONLY internet I have is via this VERY OLD Android phone.

The battery, as it was, programming unchanged, REQUIRES me to flip ALL but the last switch to OFF or the battery will go from 100% to 0% in 12 hour's time. I also tape over the battery connections until the next time I use it so I will have power. I don't know how many months ago I bought it, but I'm starting to get SOUR when I really was ALL FOR the PinePhone (Pro) in the beginning.
Sorry to say, but i think your expectations are not very realistic in relation to PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition..... its alpha/beta in so so many aspects that only the narrow phone use context is getting most of the work and as that gets better. also the time between Explorer Edition and any future Edition will be longer due to many issues plaguing china / hongkong.... so minor hardware changes that fix or enhance things are likely to be very well delayed.... Sure Explorer edition isnt the same as Braveheart, but its not very far off.... in no way should anyone think this is daily driver unless you are dual wielding for continuity sake etc....

The reason i would avoid Manjaro at least until everything is well developed is that Manjaro is like running a beta within a beta.... so you will live with issues for longer as they are slower to release then the normal Arch Repo's so that so called stability is a liability in the Alpha/Beta stage of getting things working well.... it also diverts dev resources to some degree... so things take longer yet again. "Spoiled for choice and robbed of progress"
[quote pid="110248" dateline="1653696505"]
I've never done testing. But I do recall they said "pre beta". I'm sorry I had gotten selected to beta test FF XXIV and USED to play FFXI and it "felt" on par with that game. I guess there's a HUGE jump from alpha to beta. That combined with me being out of sorts has exacerbated things a bit.

My biggest reason that I tried Manjaro was that it was pre installed and my cousin who got me started on Linux users Arch. Where I started was on Debian. It's had some spinoffs of it's own, most know Ubuntu. There are a couple other early forks but I will have to put them on here later because I honestly can't remember them right now.

Well I've got nobody to blame but me. But if I had to make the choice again, I probably would.
[/quote]
It seems that the pacman updates for all three branches of Manjaro Arm for the PinePhone Pro - unstable, testing, and stable - have the infamous black screen bug.

But for having installed tow boot and and having enabled sshd, the PinePhone Pro would be a pain to recover.  I need to reload the factory image using the usb drive option of tow boot.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/getting-a-bl...date/95235
So now the 0529 factory image is a black screen on first boot. I can only confirm the usability of the 0311 factory image so far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] KDE Plasma Mobile 6.0 Builds & Ports dorkydev 5 596 04-15-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: u-kidjp
  "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4 OhMeadhbh 1 640 11-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Manajaro Plasma 6 files break unstable updates, 6-30 mburns 5 1,587 07-20-2023, 11:19 AM
  Manjaro Plasma unstable branch glitch mburns 2 1,057 06-21-2023, 08:03 AM
  Manjaro as shipped & camera? hambonius 1 895 06-20-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Manjaro Phosh - Tiny Blue Indicator Light - Blinking ArchiMark 2 924 06-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Netfilter not working on latest manjaro kernel robocone 1 1,183 12-29-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: robocone
  root password for manjaro Pine pro explorer edition HK order? Piotr 1 1,447 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Plasma Mobile Taskbar / Navigation Bar is Missing & Upper Panel X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,299 11-24-2022, 07:19 AM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,091 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0