Best Current File Transfer Methods?
I saw there were a few posts although I was wondering if there were any updates.

Bluetooth works but slowly.

I was actually kind of amazed that you can't just upload via USB stick (or can you only do it on a few distros like Mobian? I didn't find a pinephone-devtools or whatever in PostmarketOS)

I don't know how to SSH but I saw there were a few articles, does anyone have a simple guide on how to transfer files using something similar (like scp or whatever)? Mainly I guess I wasn't sure how to find the server address to connect to, if say I am just connecting via USB between a computer and Pinephone.

Actually the easiest method seemed maybe like I could put a bunch of files on to a MicroSD card and just insert that in the back, but I wanted to learn ssh so I could update files more regularly. Is it a problem to take out the MicroSD card frequently to update files? I imagine it would be cumbersome and a bit hard on the hardware, but it requires the least knowledge if it works.

Pine64's Luke in the subreddit said you could boot up the Pinephone by holding the power button and a volume button, which would have the Pinephone connect to a computer. I'm assuming this doesn't work anymore or in any event it didn't seem to work for me.

Any simple guides to file transfer or step by step instructions I can follow?

Thank you
Most convenient would be if the USB connection worked as it does with Android phones so you could just connect the Pinephone to a Linux computer and browse the phone's filesystem. (A Windows computer doesn't grok Linux filesystems unless you install an appropriate driver.) USB connection doesn't work for file transfer though, at least not in Mobian. You can do it with Jumpdrive tp access the eMMC.

I like using sshfs, though it has the limitation of not supporting symbolic links:

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/mounting-...tory-sshfs

Of course for this to work you need to have ssh server running on the Pinephone and you need to know the phone's IP address. (At home I have my router configured to always give out the same IP address to the Pinephone.)
Using USB Type-A/Type-C combo stick here. With Manjaro PlaMo.
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300
(02-15-2022, 10:15 PM)britelite Wrote: Is it a problem to take out the MicroSD card frequently to update files? I imagine it would be cumbersome and a bit hard on the hardware, but it requires the least knowledge if it works.

I don't think so.  I've done this for a few years and my only worry is the back plastic case will eventually crack from taking it on & off.  So yea not long-term solution.

(02-15-2022, 11:40 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Most convenient would be if the USB connection worked as it does with Android phones so you could just connect the Pinephone to a Linux computer and browse the phone's filesystem. (A Windows computer doesn't grok Linux filesystems unless you install an appropriate driver.)  USB connection doesn't work for file transfer though, at least not in Mobian.

+1.  I re-tried USB dongle the other day to see if latest Mobian Bookworm fixed this, but no.  A new NIC is detected by my laptop, not a filesystem.  Evidently this is by design?? https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...networking

@britelite here's one way you could use scp:

1. Find the phone's IP address.
1.a. If your OS uses NetworkManager (most do), the phone's IP address on Wifi is under: Settings -> Wi-Fi -> gear icon next to the Wi-Fi name -> Details -> IPv4 Address.
1.b. a home network IP address should be something like 192.168.1.50

2. Find where the SDCard has been mounted by your PinePhone's OS
2.a. If using Portfolio file browser app, the SDCard is listed under Devices.  Example: you may see "32 GB Volume" and also something like "/media/mobian/4F7C-4334" <-- you need this mountpoint later
2.b. if using Gnome File app, I believe it's basically the same as 2.a. but I can't check right now

3. Enable SSH daemon on phone
I believe each OS wiki has the steps you'll need.  For Mobian, the wiki's steps are at: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...y&s[]=sshd
You may already know but just encase others don't: use your OS' steps not some generic GoogleFu howto.  Manjaro is Arch based so they use pacman to install.  PostmarketOS still uses runlevels instead of systemd to manage daemons.  Mobian is Debian based so uses apt to install & systemd services. Etc.

4. Connect SSH/SCP on laptop/desktop
4.a. if your laptop/desktop is Linux/Mac, then scp/sftp should be installed already.  scp/sftp/ssh commands are usually all included in an SSH package like OpenSSH.
4.b. scp syntax is simply: 'scp <LOCAL_PATH_TO_FILE> <USER>@<PINEPHONE_IP_ADDR>:<SDCARD_MOUNTPOINT>
4.b.i. that ^ SDCARD_MOUNTPOINT refers back to whatever you found in 2.a. / 2.b. 
4.b.ii. USER is OS specific.  Mobian's default user is simply "mobian".  PostmarketOS is "user" IIRC but I could be wrong.  Again check your OS wiki for sshd details.  Example:

Code:
scp ./my-fav-song.flac mobian@192.168.0.50:/media/mobian/4F7C-4334/

4.c. if your laptop/desktop is Windows, AFAIK scp is now installed by default (since Win10 at least) and usable by running cmd. Otherwise you have to install an app like Putty
4.c.i. do same scp command as above
4.d. if the SSH connection is working, you'll be prompted for your PinePhone's password. It's the same one you use when unlocking the phone.

HTHs Smile
PPv1.2a running PMOS ... almost a daily driver!
(02-16-2022, 01:35 AM)acrux Wrote: Using USB Type-A/Type-C combo stick here. With Manjaro PlaMo.

As I recall, USB file transfer worked with Mobian early on but then the feature was removed.
syncthing is the best! It takes a little to set up, but once it setup it is the best!

https://syncthing.net/
Install FileZilla on your PC.  Use the  SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol  to  logon to your Pine and transfer files with a GUI.

[Image: filezilla-sftp.jpg]

For step 3.  from terminal on pinephone run
Code:
ip a
to get  inet ip address  and enter  for Host:
USB-C pendrive...
Syncthing +1

I use it to sync files across all my devices (desktop, laptop, mobile (including Android), SBCs, etc.). I sync my encrypted password file, notes, media, and all sorts of things.

It's really interesting software, truly decentralized. Unlike proprietary alternatives (Dropbox, et al) it does not actually require any centralized server. The Syncthing project (and volunteers) run a number of servers which help all your devices locate one another, even across NAT.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,623 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 688 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Release: PinePhone model file (Blender) fxc 0 1,968 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Working .asoundrc file? cmicallef 0 1,360 02-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Last Post: cmicallef