Sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck -- keeps being needed
The command in the title above removes a file that keeps pacman from running updates.  Question is what is causing this to keep setting over and over and how to prevent it occurring.

I have used this several times but the lock keeps coming back.  Why???

tom kosvic
(02-09-2022, 11:30 AM)tckosvic Wrote: The command in the title above removes a file that keeps pacman from running updates.  Question is what is causing this to keep setting over and over and how to prevent it occurring.

tom kosvic

i do not have pp pro.

are automatic updates on?

i have pp regular and using manjaro. i noticed that quite often i need "screen" software for updates. if update process is run under graphical environment, probably phosh, and phosh restarts then update process will be terminated, thus leaving locks and broken updates.

"screen" is software which locks into system rather than normal process tree and "screen" provides window to the running terminal.

ssh is other option for updates.
(02-09-2022, 11:52 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(02-09-2022, 11:30 AM)tckosvic Wrote: The command in the title above removes a file that keeps pacman from running updates.  Question is what is causing this to keep setting over and over and how to prevent it occurring.

tom kosvic

i do not have pp pro.

are automatic updates on?

i have pp regular and using manjaro. i noticed that quite often i need "screen" software for updates. if update process is run under graphical environment, probably phosh, and phosh restarts then update process will be terminated, thus leaving locks and broken updates.

"screen" is software which locks into system rather than normal process tree and "screen" provides window to the running terminal.

ssh is other option for updates.
I think auto updates are done through discover. That is quite shakey.  It is always "fetching updates" and then says "up to date".  I use pacman for updates (manually) but it keeps shutting down due to lock file as per above..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch - what is the sudo password? LPIZ 1 1,596 03-15-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Needed -- list of PPP hardware button combinations tckosvic 8 4,978 03-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Needed -- Clarification of Boot SequenceInstructions tckosvic 3 2,094 03-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Last Post: fxc