Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices
"The goal of Tow-Boot is to make booting boring."

Martijn Braam from PostMarketOS highlighted the recent development of Tow-Boot with a video of installing it on the Pinephone Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzAC4QADvY

More Links:
Git: https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot
Releases: https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/releases
About Tow-Boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVcjwpDCYo
Looks nice, but is there any way to extricate it from the packaging? I have no interest in installing nixos.
(02-06-2022, 11:44 AM)tmschmitz Wrote: Looks nice, but is there any way to extricate it from the packaging? I have no interest in installing nixos.

What do you mean by installing nixos? It's strictly a bootloader for loading whatever operating systems are present.
Now if it could only be made to play nice with Pinephone Pro suspend which U-boot seems to be complicating. That's the only thing keeping me on Levinboot ATM.
I expect that I am missing the obvious, somewhere. I will explain my train of logic, and I would be grateful if you would help me find the path.

The getting-started.md file says to dd spi-installer.img to an sd card, and to boot from it. I watched the videos, and all that looks pretty easy. However, there is no file spi-installer.img in the git download, so I assume that I need to build it. I find no makefiles or instruction on how to do this, just .nix files.
(02-07-2022, 07:52 AM)tmschmitz Wrote: I expect that I am missing the obvious, somewhere. I will explain my train of logic, and I would be grateful if you would help me find the path.

The getting-started.md file says to dd spi-installer.img to an sd card, and to boot from it. I watched the videos, and all that looks pretty easy. However, there is no file spi-installer.img in the git download, so I assume that I need to build it. I find no makefiles or instruction on how to do this, just .nix files.

I am delighted you asked the question: I have exactly the same question/issue but decided if I had to ask it would mean I was an idiot (a segway from if I have to ask I can't afford it Big Grin )
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I guess I am used to looking like an idiot, so I just went ahead and blurted it out...
No, you guys are right, the last release is 20 days ago before this went live, so I'm not seeing an SPI image under releases, nor how to build it. Found a build from the pull request. They are test builds so this isn't out officially just yet.

EDIT: And Tow-Boot has single handedly fixed suspend and wake from suspend on PinePhone Pro. This feels like Christmas, no more dead battery after a couple of hours.
(02-07-2022, 03:46 PM)tmschmitz Wrote: I guess I am used to looking like an idiot, so I just went ahead and blurted it out...

OK - found a "WIP" version here that has the spi-installer.img for the PPP and that works great for me.
(02-07-2022, 09:56 PM)lllsondowlll Wrote: ...

EDIT: And Tow-Boot has single handedly fixed suspend and wake from suspend on PinePhone Pro. This feels like Christmas, no more dead battery after a couple of hours.

Yeah-but (if you ever saw Little Britain ...) after resume on a (Pine64) RK3399, at the moment the sound is a mess! Another WIP without any patch that I know of yet Smile 

Seems the way Tow-boot make resume work is that it is on the SPI - so far the necessary condition to cause resume fail was having the "in-use" bootloader on the eMMC. Hypothetically it would be interesting to test SPI blank, Tow-boot and OS on eMMC. Probably would fail to resume as, at heart, Tow-boot is just a U-boot wrapper.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-07-2022, 09:56 PM)lllsondowlll Wrote: EDIT: And Tow-Boot has single handedly fixed suspend and wake from suspend on PinePhone Pro. This feels like Christmas, no more dead battery after a couple of hours.

How much longer does it seem to run off battery?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,465 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Connect external devices via USB martin@h4ck1ng.me 5 589 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: u-kidjp
Brick Recovery without Tow Boot b34ux 10 1,073 02-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: reky
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 742 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 879 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 633 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,632 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 18,755 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,383 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,333 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma