Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices
(02-22-2022, 11:05 PM)janjaapmeijer Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 06:03 PM)u-kidjp Wrote: My PPP (Explore Edition) cannot boot spi-installer which installed  into SD card.
Should I wipe bootloader on eMMC ?

I think the Explorer Edition does not have SPI storage.
Therefore I am not sure if this works yet, but maybe others can update me on that?

I have PPP EE, running Tow Boot WIP4 from the SPI.
I've had an unbootable manjaro on emmc due to the corrupted kernel image file after an update, installed Tow Boot without any problem using RE button.
(02-23-2022, 04:17 AM)aigilea Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:05 PM)janjaapmeijer Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 06:03 PM)u-kidjp Wrote: My PPP (Explore Edition) cannot boot spi-installer which installed  into SD card.
Should I wipe bootloader on eMMC ?

I think the Explorer Edition does not have SPI storage.
Therefore I am not sure if this works yet, but maybe others can update me on that?

I have PPP EE, running Tow Boot WIP4 from the SPI.
I've had an unbootable manjaro on emmc due to the corrupted kernel image file after an update, installed Tow Boot without any problem using RE button.

Somehow that doesn't work for me.
I have flashed the SPI image to the microSD with: 

sudo dd if=spi.installer.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M oflag=direct,sync status=progress

and then keeping the RE button pressed whilst pressing the power button, gives me a red light in the top left corner of the phone followed by a yellow light.
The next thing is that manjaro starts up.
(02-25-2022, 12:55 AM)janjaapmeijer Wrote: Somehow that doesn't work for me.
I have flashed the SPI image to the microSD with: 

sudo dd if=spi.installer.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M oflag=direct,sync status=progress

and then keeping the RE button pressed whilst pressing the power button, gives me a red light in the top left corner of the phone followed by a yellow light.
The next thing is that manjaro starts up.
1. "of=/dev/mmcblk0", are you sure this is the right device? It's usually /dev/sdX on a PC and /dev/mmcblk1 on the PPP.
2. I've used the following procedure: hold power button for a few seconds with battery removed, then install battery, then hold the RE button pressed and plug in the power cable.
Well The thing is , tow-boot boot the emmc first , so if you have tow-boot spi-installer on the SD , then the phone will read it and still boot from emmc .... you need to HOLD volume down to boot the SD card , so if you have an OS on the emmc the procedure is as follow

1.Power off the phone
2.Power it on holding RE for a couple sec
3. on the Red light HOLD volume down to boot SD card (should have light blue light instead of yellow)
4. ready to install !
(02-25-2022, 09:24 AM)kaida Wrote: Well The thing is , tow-boot boot the emmc first , so if you have tow-boot spi-installer on the SD , then the phone will read it and still boot from emmc .... you need to HOLD volume down to boot the SD card ,  so if you have an OS on the emmc the procedure is as follow

1.Power off the phone
2.Power it on holding RE for a couple sec
3. on the Red light HOLD volume down to boot SD card (should have light blue light instead of yellow)
4. ready to install !

Thanks for that, it got me to install tow-boot on SPI. I was a bit disappointed to find out that there is not yet a way to install postmarketos on the emmc. Currently I have the shipped manjaro on my emmc. Guess I have to wait until jumpdrive becomes available for the ppp. Please let me know if there is anyone who knows how to get pmos on the emmc without jumpdrive. Cheers!
(02-27-2022, 06:57 PM)janjaapmeijer Wrote: ... Please let me know if there is anyone who knows how to get pmos on the emmc without jumpdrive.

See post 15 above for Tow-boot "version" of jumpdrive.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I have flashed the latest release (2021.10-004) of Tow-Boot to SPI on my PPP yesterday.
However I am now unable to boot Mobian from the SD card.
So far I have tried the Mobian PPP image (which I believe to be the wrong one for Tow-Boot?) and the efi image. Both the latest weekly version 20220306.

When holding the volume down button while booting the LED gets first red and then blue. It stays blue and does nothing until I shut the phone down.
The same happens when I hold the volume up button. According to the documentation the color should be blue for volume up and "aqua" for volume down, however I see no difference.

The preinstalled Manjaro boots fine from internal storage when I don't press the volume keys during boot.

What am I doing wrong?
(03-14-2022, 12:55 AM)EwigeBlumenkraft Wrote: ...
What am I doing wrong?

My guess is a bad flash onto your SDcard, or corrupt download.
You should be using this image.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-14-2022, 03:45 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 12:55 AM)EwigeBlumenkraft Wrote: ...
What am I doing wrong?

My guess is a bad flash onto your SDcard, or corrupt download.
You should be using this image.

I have already flashed it twice but will try downloading it again.
Forcing boot from SD card by holding the volume down key does not work on my PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition.
I wiped the internal storage and now Tow Boot boots from the SD card.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 10 1,777 Yesterday, 07:34 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Connect external devices via USB martin@h4ck1ng.me 5 753 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: u-kidjp
Brick Recovery without Tow Boot b34ux 10 1,342 02-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: reky
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 836 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 971 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 707 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,719 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 19,415 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,456 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,495 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma