How to find location of running system
How do I find whether my system is running from the sd card or the emmc memory?

thanks for reply,           tom kosvic
remove the sd card ? if it still boot and is the same system , you'll have the answer , if it doesn't , you'll have the answer
If you have the same OS on both and can't tell the difference just looking at that, or want a faster way to tell:

You can use the command `lsblk` to tell which device contains the partition mounted as root. It will be mmcblk1 or mmcblk2. The one you're looking for is the one having one partition with "/" in the column "mountpoint".

Then, you can use `sudo fdisk -l` to list more information about those devices. It will tell you the size of each device, which should help you tell the SD card and the eMMC apart (hopefully, they don't have the same capacity Smile ).

Alternatively, you can just use `df -h` to see both the root partition and its capacity, which should be enough to tell. But this is somewhat less reliable as virtual fs tend to mess up with the display of `df `, and it only tells the capacity of the partition, not the whole disk.
(02-02-2022, 08:51 PM)kaida Wrote: remove the sd card ? if it still boot and is the same system , you'll have the answer , if it doesn't , you'll have the answer

I have same systems/desktops on sd and emmc.  If I remove sd perhaps it boots from emmc.  If I put back in the sd again, I still don't know which is is running on.

(02-03-2022, 02:33 AM)ojimek Wrote: If you have the same OS on both and can't tell the difference just looking at that, or want a faster way to tell:

You can use the command `lsblk` to tell which device contains the partition mounted as root. It will be mmcblk1 or mmcblk2. The one you're looking for is the one having one partition with "/" in the column "mountpoint".

Then, you can use `sudo fdisk -l` to list more information about those devices. It will tell you the size of each device, which should help you tell the SD card and the eMMC apart (hopefully, they don't have the same capacity Smile ).

Alternatively, you can just use `df -h` to see both the root partition and its capacity, which should be enough to tell. But this is somewhat less reliable as virtual fs tend to mess up with the display of `df `, and it only tells the capacity of the partition, not the whole disk.

I do have same OS/desktop on both. Thanks, I was able to determine I was running on sd card.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,695 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  XFCE mobian running nicely but some oddities grump_fiddle_reinstall 0 790 07-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
Smile Mobian: squeekboard .yaml location tookmeayear 5 1,715 04-16-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: tookmeayear
  Any Advantage to Running TLP? DerpABerp 0 926 05-09-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: DerpABerp
Question System Updates: "unexpected error" Greendrake 6 4,280 03-05-2022, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Greendrake