DisplayPort Out question
(02-12-2022, 01:11 PM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 11:35 AM)Arwen Wrote: One comment, this version of the PinePhone Pro is listed as the "Explorer Edition", which has a clear note;

Quote:Note:
    The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is aimed at Linux developers with an extensive knowledge of embedded systems and/or experience with mobile Linux.

Almost all the Pine64 products at initial release have this or similar warnings. Basically, most people should wait 2 to 6 months in order to have a plug and play user experience. After that point, the developers and early adopters will have found most of the bigger problems, AND solved them.

This comment is not trying to blame the buyers, but to clarify WHY you are having problems. The Pro version is a totally different SoC, (System on a Chip), than the original PinePhone. Different vendors even. So that it will simply take time for full functionality to become available.

If you don't think you can trust that support will come, consider returning now. Then, if still interested, in 6 months or so, read the forum posts. If it's not clear this feature is supported, post and ask if USB-C alternate mode video DisplayPort is working. And which firmware supports that feature.

Last, I am just a community forum moderator who has been reading the forums for a few years. I have limited inside knowledge, and none to share on this subject that I have not already shared.

Thanks for your thoughts Arwen, and I know you have no control over this issue.
But....
The display out feature was, and still is advertised as fully functional. See below:
"When docked and connected to an external monitor and keyboard and mouse, the PinePhone Pro performs well when surfing the web, using the terminal or an office suite, watching 1080p videos, and even in light photo editing. The perfect pocketable Linux computer on the go."

The words "can" , "one day" or "might" are not used. It says it works, plain and simple.

Some of us are / were prepared to put our money where our mouth was and support a project that we knew had a bunch of rough edges, software wise. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I do appreciate the honesty about a lot of the usability limitations, and I decided to spend my money knowing those limitations.

I just do not like being lied to by vendors about critical features that they claim work right now.
I will not be returning my PPP, but wanted to call out the marketing issues in the hopes of figuring out how to get what I paid for.

I have had other "kickstarter" type phones (Volla), that worked out well, but they also delivered on their claims from day 1.

Thanks for reading.

My sentiments exactly. I purchased for the same reasons.
And given that we have over 600 views on this thread, in a very short time, it seems to be a concern shared by many others.
OK, I had a major breakthrough this morning. I realized that the site does not show or mention how the PPP is connected to the monitor displaying a working Desktop mode. I am also aware that the brand/type of USB-C/HDMI hub as well as the cables make a difference when using Desktop mode with most phones. 
I have been using a j5create HDMI hub with an HDMI to HDMI cable out to a regular computer monitor, as well as plugging the phone into my NexDock 360 lapdock using a USB-C to USB-C cable that works with my other phones for video out (original Pinephone and a Galaxy S10). As mentioned previously, neither worked with the PPP.

I own a UPerfect 12.3" portable monitor with USB-C and Mini HDMI input. I connected the PPP to my j5create HDMI hub using an HDMI to mini HDMI cable to the UPerfect monitor. The monitor displayed the desktop version of the phone! 
I then connected it to the Nexdock 360 using the j5create dock and mini HDMI input and it worked as well. 
I know that video out does work, so far only using HDMI type cables (not USB-C input on the monitors), but at least with my configuration there are a few problems that will hopefully be fixed with software updates:

1. Whichever program you run fills the screen, and there is no way to exit the program using the keyboard and mouse, or the phone itself, so I disconnected the phone, closed the program and reconnected the phone. It would not display on the monitor. After several attempts at disconnecting and reconnecting cables, I finally got it to display again. But every time I disconnect the phone it takes several tries to get it to display on the monitor again, which eventually works. I am new to Linux, so there may be a way to close programs in Desktop mode that I am not aware of.

2. Sometimes a mouse, or the touchpad on the Nexdock 360 will not register on the phone. Again, hopefully a software update will fix that.

3. The phone displays its own desktop mode while connected, which is pretty useless from what I can tell. I couldn't see any info such as battery level or the time on either screen.

I am thrilled that this is working to any degree! A huge relief, and now I will be patient as amazing people continue to develop and contribute to this project. 
I hope to eventually learn enough to be able to contribute as well. 
Thanks.

[attachment=2600

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's great news! Thanks so much!

I guess I have a bit more hardware to purchase. Smile
(02-13-2022, 10:50 AM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: That's great news! Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

The j5Create dock model that I am using is the JCA379 (Best Buy # 5930600).
The original Pinephone dock did not work for me, FYI.
Hopefully someone will find a dock that works consistently. As I mentioned, every time I disconnect from the dock it is trial and error unplugging and plugging different cables in different order to get it to work again. Don't give up!

Also, a standard HDMI cable with full size connectors did not work on the PPP for me between the j5Create dock and my Acer 24" monitor. Only a full size HDMI connector on the j5Create dock to mini HDMI input on the NexDock 360, or the UPerfect portable monitor. Try different cables if you have them as well.

Good luck!
(02-13-2022, 11:12 AM)frankt Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 10:50 AM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: That's great news! Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

The j5Create dock model that I am using is the JCA379 (Best Buy # 5930600).
The original Pinephone dock did not work for me, FYI.
Hopefully someone will find a dock that works consistently. As I mentioned, every time I disconnect from the dock it is trial and error unplugging and plugging different cables in different order to get it to work again. Don't give up!

Also, a standard HDMI cable with full size connectors did not work on the PPP for me between the j5Create dock and my Acer 24" monitor. Only a full size HDMI connector on the j5Create dock to mini HDMI input on the NexDock 360, or the UPerfect portable monitor. Try different cables if you have them as well.

Good luck!
So, I have been shopping on Amazon.
Only looking at HDMI USB-C hubs, I noticed a couple of things in the descriptions:
My current hub supports "laptops and macs"
I ordered another that also states it supports "Ipads"
The hub you have, and I also ordered one of those, supports "Display Alt mode"

I will be testing with full size HDMI, as that is all I have today, but if these hubs do not work with my current monitors, I will pick up something with mini HDMI as you suggest. And will test with multiple cables as well.

baby steps!
Excellent. Again, good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
@frankt - Thanks for the information. That NexDock 360 is almost perfect for my own needs, (though not with the PinePhone Pro).

In theory, the NexDock 360 should work perfectly with the USB-C input as it specifies:
Quote:INPUT PORTS
  • 1x USB-C 3.1 with DisplayPort
  • 1x Mini HDMI-in (1.4a) Port
However, their had been problems with the PineBook Pro, (which uses the same SoC as the PinePhone Pro), in USB-C cable orientation. If I understand it, many of the problems for the PineBook Pro have been solved. So, it should only be a mater of time before the PinePhone Pro works.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I am still a little confused on this...

Is my understanding correct that ONLY HDMI will ever work and not "DP Alt Mode"?

This is a deal breaker for me if DP Alt Mode will never work due to hardware.

I have a Dell U2721DE monitor with an internal Hub that I use. One USB-C connection gives me sound, mic, keyboard, mouse and multi-monitors.
No, I am just reporting what has worked for me so far.
Yesterday I got another software update. I decided to try a USB-C to USB-C cable from the PPP to the Nexdock 360 lapdock and it worked for a little while. Again when I opened a program it filled the screen with no way to close the program without disconnecting the cable. When I plugged it back in it would not work again.
However, I had installed Evolution, and the other day when the Nexdock 360 was working for a few minutes,, that program switched from full screen to a window just by clicking on the top bar. I was able to resize it and open another program, and close Evolution. That doesn't seem to work for many other programs so far. I haven't been able to get it to work consistently yet.
Sorry for rambling, just trying to be clear.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Life is it possible?? Tech Question (sort of) scrwbigtek 4 3,261 05-11-2022, 06:01 AM
Last Post: danimations
Question Possibly dumb question For_lack_of_a_better_name 1 1,418 03-06-2022, 04:54 AM
Last Post: fxc