DisplayPort Out question
Hi,
I am new at this so bear with me.
Plugged in a USB-C hub with DP out with the default image that shipped and no alt video.
Tried to patch, same issue.
I tried a second image (archlinux-pinephone-pro-plasma-20220124.img.xz) on a SD card and same issue. No alt video out. USB KBD and track pad work.

What an I missing?

Thanks.
Update:
I have also tried Mobian (mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20220116.img) and still no luck.
And I tried HDMI out without success.
Disclaimer: I don't own a PinePhone Pro, (but I do own a Pinebook Pro with the same SoC / CPU).

Are you sure your "USB-C hub with DP out" device uses DisplayPort protocol on the phone side?

The original USB-C alternate mode for video was DisplayPort. However, the HDMI people wanted the same treatment, so they created a different USB-C alternate mode for HDMI, which is totally in-compatible with "USB-C alternate mode for DisplayPort:".

A USB-C alternate mode for video device can have any monitor connector on it, like HDMI, DisplayPort or VGA. A simple, (or complex), converter is needed. However, the SoC / CPU used in the PinePhone Pro, (and Pinebook Pro), requires USB-C alternate mode DISPLAYPORT. Without that, it won't work. (Of course, software support is also required....)

Vendors have been a bit vague on what there device specifications are, at times. Some outright leave off what the host side protocol is, USB-C alt. mode DisplayPort, or USB-C alt. mode HDMI.

Good luck. Maybe someone else has better information.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Thanks Arwen,
I am just going on the sales info here (https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/) and honestly it seems to say that this is a simple, easy, automatic, built in feature. It is in fact 95% of the reason I bought the phone.

If someone from Pine would weigh in on this, it would be great, as I would really love the video out that was advertised. I have 2 USB-C hubs, but if I need to buy a third, well that is the price of being on the leading edge, I guess.

Cheers
(02-02-2022, 03:11 PM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: Thanks Arwen,
I am just going on the sales info here (https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/)  and honestly it seems to say that this is a simple, easy, automatic, built in feature. It is in fact 95% of the reason I bought the phone.

Yes, that web page is correct in that USB-C alt. mode video DisplayPort will work. But, it does require software support.

Sorry, I can't help you with making it work
(02-02-2022, 03:11 PM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: ...

If someone from Pine would weigh in on this, it would be great, as I would really love the video out that was advertised. I have 2 USB-C hubs, but if I need to buy a third, well that is the price of being on the leading edge, I guess.

Cheers
If you can check the specifications of your existing USB-C hubs that have video out, to see if the USB-C video in, is DisplayPort, that can help.

What are the models?
And do you have a web link to their sales page?

Note that their is also something called USB DisplayLink, which has nothing to do with DisplayPort. DisplayLink is basically a video card for USB. It too requires software support, but not the same as USB-C alternate mode DisplayPort.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I'm not getting any video output from the PPP either. If I connect it to the original Pinephone Convergence HDMI dock, the USB keyboard & mouse work, but no video and the external monitor shows "no signal". When I connect it to my NexDock lapdock via USB-C, the PPP screen expands in to a desktop mode, but no signal goes to the NexDock. When I disconnect the USB-C cable from the PPP, the phone screen shows "An output has been removed. Settings have been rel" and the message continues off the right side of the screen.
My original Pinephone displays video and works with the Convergence dock as well as the NexDock lapdock. I know that they use different hardware, but at least I'm sure the dock and NexDock are working.
I keep getting an error when trying to update the PPP, so I don't know if any of the updates might solve this issue.
(02-02-2022, 03:31 PM)frankt Wrote: I'm not getting any video output from the PPP either. If I connect it to the original Pinephone Convergence HDMI dock, the USB keyboard & mouse work, but no video and the external monitor shows "no signal". When I connect it to my NexDock lapdock via USB-C, the PPP screen expands in to a desktop mode, but no signal goes to the NexDock. When I disconnect the USB-C cable from the PPP, the phone screen shows "An output has been removed. Settings have been rel" and the message continues off the right side of the screen.
My original Pinephone displays video and works with the Convergence dock as well as the NexDock lapdock. I know that they use different hardware, but at least I'm sure the dock and NexDock are working.
I keep getting an error when trying to update the PPP, so I don't know if any of the updates might solve this issue.
Update: I finally got the PPP software updated, and still no video out to an external monitor or Nexdock 360 lapdock. Also tried a j5Create HDMI dock with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? No video out is a deal breaker for me, and I only have 20 days left on the 30 day warranty.
I think I've heard people having success with postmarket and manjaro plasma. I don't have mine yet, but I've been trying to gather as much info as I can related to convergence. I'm very excited to contribute in anyway I can.

This person mentions pmOS, but this is for pinephone. Not sure if its a 1-to-1 comparison though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...&context=3

This person uses Manjaro Plasma and mentions somewhere in the video that he's had success with displayport, BUT no video proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDDCmiV...rogramming

Perhaps try manjaro?
https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...2202050235
I think the Pine phone -- Pro series software just needs to catch up.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
This isn't working for me either, I'm using a PinePhone Pro and a Nexdock 360, tried Mobian Phosh, Manjaro KDE and now I'm in PostmarketOS none of them work, I can get the keyboard7mouse working but no display out, wlr-randr says that the screen is there, it is enabled and you can see it in display settings but it doesn't display anything.

This works with my Librem 5 and a Samsung phone using the same cable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Life is it possible?? Tech Question (sort of) scrwbigtek 4 3,166 05-11-2022, 06:01 AM
Last Post: danimations
Question Possibly dumb question For_lack_of_a_better_name 1 1,368 03-06-2022, 04:54 AM
Last Post: fxc