SD card slot specs
I could not find detailed specifications wrt the SD card slot, only that it can use SDHC and SDXC cards. Does anyone know if the SD card slot supports UHS-II bus class (which has "two rows of contacts" on the UHXC card I believe)? Or, to be more specific of my needs, is it realistic to hope for SD card *write* speeds of 100MB/s?

I ask as I would like to use a class UHS-II and v90 SDXC card to stream from a StructureCore sensor (occipitals depth sensor). The scanner do work on the PinePhone PRO - I have successfully compiled and run it on the PRO. Output is about 9fps, twice the result for the original PinePhone, however, also with more computationally intensive options available. I only guess the reason is that computational power increased more than data throughput?
I finally found the SD slot specification in the small pamphlett included in the box *blushing*. It is UHS-1. Still I would be interested if anyone has info wrt practical write speeds.
(01-27-2022, 10:30 AM)frimmel Wrote: ... is it realistic to hope for SD card *write* speeds of 100MB/s? ...

I think very unlikely - the best I have got on iozone on my RockPro64 is around 30MB/s (and 65MB/s read). Allegedly the eMMC is 150MB/s read on the PPP. Of course all is up for grabs until we get real world results.

I did a quick search for RK3399 bus details and came up empty handed (it was v quick). But makes sense anything fast is linked to the eMMC and the SDcard, as per the RockPro64, could be the poor relation. Then again the PPP doesn't have SPI nor PCIe so maybe the SDcard gets a boost. But as it looks like the same physical carrier to the PinePhone I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I think Megi did a blog or something on the read/write speeds of the eMMC and the sd cards, the sd card read/write speed was rather disappointing.

There were ''rumors'' this could be improved on with some different main board firmware, Though I have not seen anything since reading that.

BUT high speed sd cards probably won't help ---> when the limit is in the main board.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone yet received replacement sim/sd card holder tckosvic 19 8,492 06-16-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: fxc
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,396 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  PinePhone Pro Motherboard with sim card holder tckosvic 1 1,531 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Warning!!- sim card adapter destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro ANDROID2468 11 7,284 06-15-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Replace PPP sim card/sd card slot hardware tckosvic 5 3,961 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  How to remove the sim card liberty1234 6 4,093 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  SD Card insertion depth nristen 4 2,866 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nristen
  Bent SD card pin bhboyle 5 3,351 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: kqlnut