Does jumpdrive and balenaetcher work on pro
Anyone know yet if the "jumpdrive" process works on pinephone pro as it did on pinephone.  I am also wondering if it is known whether "balenaetcher" works on pinephone pro.

thanks,     tom kosvic
do you mean using a jumpdrive SD to mount the PBP system on another computer? Not to the best of my knowledge, but you should be able to access any system files by just mounting an OS SD on a computer capable of reading it, or for emmc you can boot another OS instance from SD and mount your emmc system from there.

as far as i've found, there's a version in the AUR that's supposed to be modified for use on aarch64 devices like the PBP, but I could never get it to start/work.

lol i read pinephone as pinebook, ignore my response. it's not applicable here.
Maybe Crude,
But can you just make the boot sector "Un-bootable" from within the factory installation.?

Then if the only bootable device is your sd card <---> it will boot from that.. ?

eg: jumpdrive (or any OS)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Hi,

Got the explorer edition today, has Manjaro on it that errors out when attempting update, youtube playback quite poor, etc.... Whats the most practical way to make the 'mmc' unbootable so I can load distros from SD ? do I have to use the UART via headphone jack ? Or is there something actually practical Smile

Thanks !
(01-27-2022, 01:24 AM)p3checkme Wrote: Hi,

Got the explorer edition today, has Manjaro on it that errors out when attempting update, youtube playback quite poor, etc....  Whats the most practical way to make the 'mmc' unbootable so I can load distros from SD  ? do I have to use the UART via headphone jack ? Or is there something actually practical Smile

Thanks !

My PPPEE borked on first update as well. I was able to drop into terminal and complete the updates manually.

However, if you wish to proceed with an SD image, it's true that PPPEE boots from EMMC first.... BUT the factory image on EMMC will check the SD card for a bootable image, and if found, will boot from the SD card instead of proceeding to boot from EMMC. So as long as you *don't* wipe the EMMC, you are able to flash a bootable image to SD, and boot to that image just by inserting the SD card.
(01-25-2022, 10:08 AM)tckosvic Wrote: Anyone know yet if the "jumpdrive" process works on pinephone pro as it did on pinephone.  I am also wondering if it is known whether "balenaetcher" works on pinephone pro.

thanks,     tom kosvic

Peeps on reddit are saying PP image for jumpdrive does not work on PPP, and we need to wait for a PPP specific image ?‍♀️
(01-25-2022, 05:56 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Maybe Crude,
But can you just make the boot sector "Un-bootable"  from within the factory installation.?

Then if the only bootable device is your sd card  <--->  it will boot from that.. ?

eg: jumpdrive    (or any OS)

(01-28-2022, 01:49 PM)FrozenPine Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 01:24 AM)p3checkme Wrote: Hi,

Got the explorer edition today, has Manjaro on it that errors out when attempting update, youtube playback quite poor, etc....  Whats the most practical way to make the 'mmc' unbootable so I can load distros from SD  ? do I have to use the UART via headphone jack ? Or is there something actually practical Smile

Thanks !

My PPPEE borked on first update as well. I was able to drop into terminal and complete the updates manually.

However, if you wish to proceed with an SD image, it's true that PPPEE boots from EMMC first.... BUT the factory image on EMMC will check the SD card for a bootable image, and if found, will boot from the SD card instead of proceeding to boot from EMMC. So as long as you *don't* wipe the EMMC, you are able to flash a bootable image to SD, and boot to that image just by inserting the SD card.
Thanks, I loaded mobian on SD card, put it in, started the phone, got the splash screen saying 'resizing partition', and black screen since then.. I'm trying to unbrick via all the methods listed here but so far nothing, simply wont turn on... Huh
(01-28-2022, 01:53 PM)FrozenPine Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 10:08 AM)tckosvic Wrote: Anyone know yet if the "jumpdrive" process works on pinephone pro as it did on pinephone.  I am also wondering if it is known whether "balenaetcher" works on pinephone pro.

thanks,     tom kosvic

Peeps on reddit are saying PP image for jumpdrive does not work on PPP, and we need to wait for a PPP specific image ?‍♀️

We don't want the mess like there was when people tried to put the 2gb os images on their new 3gb os phones...

@p3checkme
Have you tried another sd card ? is the battery charged.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting Waydroid to work on the Pinephone Pro Dragonborn 8 7,056 09-18-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: nroth
  Getting hdmi out to work reliably? emole 3 2,374 05-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Last Post: hockleyj
  PinePhone Pro Jumpdrive pvxf2647 3 2,206 03-27-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Barugon
  Call and sms out work only shortly after answering a call altor 1 1,179 03-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: altor
  Passcode doesn't work when booting from SD card Dinobot 4 2,777 03-02-2022, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Dinobot