HDMI to VGA adapter
My current TV setup is to have a raspberry pi2 running kodi, connected to a normal computer monitor. This is achieved by using a HDMI to VGA adapter similar to this: http://goo.gl/8VjJ6M

The adapter is not powered in any way. This was an issue with the original pi, as it would cause the capacitor handling the HDMI port to overload & stop working. But the pi2 can handle it with no problems.

I am interested in replacing my TV setup with pine64 running android, as it can handle netflix. But I need to make sure my adapter won't burn out a capacitor on the pine64 or cause other problems. Will this be an issue? The pi has lots of settings for outputting to weird stuff via the HDMI port. Will the pine64 be capable of this?

Thanks!
The latest update includes a HDMI to VGA + Audio add on. If you are not sure if yours will work, get the add-on? Smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pin...ts/1472578
(01-22-2016, 10:00 AM)trumad Wrote: My current TV setup is to have a raspberry pi2 running kodi, connected to a normal computer monitor. This is achieved by using a HDMI to VGA adapter similar to this: http://goo.gl/8VjJ6M

The adapter is not powered in any way. This was an issue with the original pi, as it would cause the capacitor handling the HDMI port to overload & stop working. But the pi2 can handle it with no problems.

I am interested in replacing my TV setup with pine64 running android, as it can handle netflix. But I need to make sure my adapter won't burn out a capacitor on the pine64 or cause other problems. Will this be an issue? The pi has lots of settings for outputting to weird stuff via the HDMI port. Will the pine64 be capable of this?

Thanks!

I don't have your HDMI to VGA adapter and don't know which chipset using in that adapter. If you know the chipset vendor, that I can help up. iI the chipset comes from Chrontel, than I just ask my friend who is Chrontel CEO :-)
My guess is that capacitor is charging up power and cause original Pi overload. Such issue cannot be consider as Pi design fault.
Thanks on your reminding and we will  check more on our HDMI to VGA adapter and make sur esuch issue will not happen.
Hmmmm ..., lets me bring in our HDMI to VGA adapter (using Chrontel chip) and Pine A64 board to Chrontel lab, and ask their QA to check and confirm for us.

BTW, I am interesting on your statement of Pi's outputting weird stuff, please explain further. Thanks.
(01-23-2016, 12:06 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 10:00 AM)trumad Wrote: My current TV setup is to have a raspberry pi2 running kodi, connected to a normal computer monitor. This is achieved by using a HDMI to VGA adapter similar to this: http://goo.gl/8VjJ6M

Thanks!

I don't have your HDMI to VGA adapter and don't know which chipset using in that adapter. If you know the chipset vendor, that I can help up. iI the chipset comes from Chrontel, than I just ask my friend who is Chrontel CEO :-)
My guess is that capacitor is charging up power and cause original Pi overload. Such issue cannot be consider as Pi design fault.
Thanks on your reminding and we will  check more on our HDMI to VGA adapter and make sur esuch issue will not happen.
Hmmmm ..., lets me bring in our HDMI to VGA adapter (using Chrontel chip) and Pine A64 board to Chrontel lab, and ask their QA to check and confirm for us.

BTW, I am interesting on your statement of Pi's outputting weird stuff, please explain further. Thanks.

Hi 

Do you have 1024x768 VGA Monitor?
I want you test .
because too many HDMI to VGA adapter , i don't know who can run PINE64
Thank
(01-28-2016, 02:04 AM)Wing Wrote:

Thanks!

Hi 

I want you test .
Thank
The simple HDMI to VGA adapter is non-scale type, this means the VGA output resolution same as HDMI input. This means the OS need to support 1024x768 resolution. Currently Android OS build only support either 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080).
You can purchase scaling type HDMi to VGA adapter but the price is much higher.
Some VGA monitor, normally new model, can accept 720p input and auto scale by itself.
(01-28-2016, 03:50 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks!

Hi 

I want you test .
Thank
The simple HDMI to VGA adapter is non-scale type, this means the VGA output resolution same as HDMI input. This means the OS need to support 1024x768 resolution. Currently Android OS build only support either 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080).
Some VGA monitor, normally new model, can accept 720p input and auto scale by itself.

Have you know  linux os  support HDMI to VGA adapter 1024x768 resolution?

you will add vga on your boards?
i know this is the old format output display , but always have user is use old vga monitor.

Thank !
Another option and good way to go is many VGA monitors also have DVI ports built in (at least my older monitors do)so a HDMI to DVI would retain the digital signal and give you slightly better quality.
(01-29-2016, 07:21 AM)Wing Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 03:50 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks!

Hi 

I want you test .
Thank

Have you know  linux os  support HDMI to VGA adapter 1024x768 resolution?

you will add vga on your boards?
i know this is the old format output display , but always have user is use old vga monitor.

Thank !

No sure whether Linux build will have the 1024x768 resolution due to the build has not yet up. There is no plan to put VGA circuit on board.
We definitely will want to support old VGA monitor due to such monitor still actively using in school.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z-Wave US module with adapter aegrotatio 4 7,135 01-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Last Post: aegrotatio
  TP-Link Archer T1U AC450 Wireless Nano USB Adapter DARK-SPIRIT 0 2,115 11-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: DARK-SPIRIT
  Hdmi To VGA pine771 7 9,369 10-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Zoidiano0
  HDMI to RCA for connecting CRT type TV desai_amogh 1 3,533 05-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Hardware-Bugs: No HDMI->DVI-Output / Crashes upon Ethernet Xyntec 3 5,151 04-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveKram