APN Interface
Trying to activate my Pinephone with Danctnix/phosh using a Mint SIM. It is showing full bars and a 3G/4G alternating symbol, but data shows an 'x' and I'm not able to do calls or texts. In the Access Point setting screen I've added "Ultra"/"Wholesale" and "Mint"/"Wholesale" according to instructions I've found in a few places, but neither one has brought about successful calls. Is there someplace to enter the other configuration data Mint offers?

This might be on the Mint/T-Mo end, I had trouble with connectivity with the previous phone I tried to activate with, but that was okay for calls just data trouble. I'll call up a Mint rep, but I have a feeling they won't have info on what to do with various PinePhone OSs...
(01-19-2022, 08:50 PM)tallfrye Wrote: Trying to activate my Pinephone with Danctnix/phosh using a Mint SIM. It is showing full bars and a 3G/4G alternating symbol, but data shows an 'x' and I'm not able to do calls or texts. In the Access Point setting screen I've added "Ultra"/"Wholesale" and "Mint"/"Wholesale" according to instructions I've found in a few places, but neither one has brought about successful calls. Is there someplace to enter the other configuration data Mint offers?

This might be on the Mint/T-Mo end, I had trouble with connectivity with the previous phone I tried to activate with, but that was okay for calls just data trouble. I'll call up a Mint rep, but I have a feeling they won't have info on what to do with various PinePhone OSs...

I have the Pinephone and MinMobile on Manjaro phosh I use Mint and Wholesale and I am able to get data but I set my phone to use 4G only. I have tried Danctnix Plasma and that worked on that but Plasma always loses data connection no matter what distro I try and I have to reboot the phone to get it back.
(01-19-2022, 08:50 PM)tallfrye Wrote: Trying to activate my Pinephone with Danctnix/phosh using a Mint SIM. It is showing full bars and a 3G/4G alternating symbol, but data shows an 'x' and I'm not able to do calls or texts. In the Access Point setting screen I've added "Ultra"/"Wholesale" and "Mint"/"Wholesale" according to instructions I've found in a few places, but neither one has brought about successful calls. Is there someplace to enter the other configuration data Mint offers?

When filling in the APN blanks,  be sure to use the + symbol to add your APN,  and you may need to "SAVE"  more than once before it 'Sticks'...

attempting to change one of the existing APN's  just does not work.

IF  calls and sms text are not working,  ---> there is a problem with your sim card.  ---> The APN is only needed for data (at this time)

When they do finally get the mms text working,  IT WILL need the APN for that also.

GOOD LUCK
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Turns out the tower near where I am staying lacks 1900/2100 radio signals. I was told by a customer rep that it only has 600 which Mint doesn't use. Looks like I'll have to try something on the Verizon network, can anyone recommend a good provider that allows tethering and at least 3G per month compatible with Verizon? I don't need an unlimited $50+ account...
(02-05-2022, 02:53 PM)tallfrye Wrote: Turns out the tower near where I am staying lacks 1900/2100 radio signals. I was told by a customer rep that it only has 600 which Mint doesn't use. Looks like I'll have to try something on the Verizon network, can anyone recommend a good provider that allows tethering and at least 3G per month compatible with Verizon? I don't need an unlimited $50+ account...

Cheap test kit,

TracFone has a 3 sim card kit, one for each major carrier,  the kit sells for $1.  you can install the cards
un-activated to check for signal strength in your area.

The Dollar Stores have them as well as many other retailers.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-14-2022, 09:28 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Cheap test kit,

TracFone has a 3 sim card kit, one for each major carrier,  the kit sells for $1.  you can install the cards
un-activated to check for signal strength in your area.

The Dollar Stores have them as well as many other retailers.

Got a few of those kits sitting around, and already know TF works with Verizon service here. I swapped over one of my working SIMs to the PinePhone and it showed a full connection, but when attempting to make a call I got an automated message that they had detected the SIM was not in the correct phone (it has been possible to swap working "GSM" SIMs between phones but not "CDMA" ones).

Unfortunately TF does not offer any hotspot services. I'm considering Net 10 as well as a few other MVNOs at the moment.

Oddly, I do have a AT&T GSM trail camera on the property that has been sending clear communications, and my Androids with TF 'at&t' SIMs have worked, albeit with sporadic problems, which is why I tried to go with T-Mo. Perhaps the trail camera is proper AT&T which has a roaming agreement with the Verizon equipment that the AT&T MVNOs lack? Is this kind of information supposed to be freely available to the public?
There was a forum thread 'sim cards & carriers', there 'may' be something helpful there.
I think most MVNO's do have a refund policy if they cannot be used.
** Except that the paper refill airtime cards are not refundable.
Verizon bought Tracfone just a few years ago, so I expect they will be less of a bargain as time goes on.
Pure Talk just happened to work great at my house, and it seemed to work fine on a recent road trip to Texas.
( Lots & lots of miles of just dirt )
and they are about half the price of at&t prepaid.
From my "Pre-Pine phone days" I still have a few AT&T prepaid lines, then I added 3 Pure Talk lines for "Testing purposes"...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-14-2022, 06:31 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I think most MVNO's do have a refund policy if they cannot be used.
They all seem to have friendly sounding policies like that, but if you present them with any sort of unconventional situation with a slightly grey area, they will abandon any policy that disadvantages them. You are free to hire a lawyer and go after them for a few dozen bucks I guess. Not the best when trying to work with something like Linux/PinePhone or what have you, collectively nickel and dimes you to death...
I try to avoid bringing the word Linux into the conversations with their reps, as often times they will use that
as the "reason" of all faults.
Just discuss your problem, but do not give them an "Easy Out" excuse.

IF you ask them : does it not work because it is Linux ? .... Guess what their reply will be. ?

There are thousands of Pine phones and Pine phone Pro's in use now around the globe.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-14-2022, 07:15 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I try to avoid bringing the word Linux into the conversations with their reps,  as often times they will use that
as the "reason" of all faults.
Just discuss your problem, but do not give them an "Easy Out" excuse.

IF you ask them :  does it not work because it is Linux  ?    ....  Guess what their reply will be. ?

There are thousands of Pine phones and Pine phone Pro's in use now around the globe.

Yeah, after 10 years dealing with TF service I recognize that is one group to avoid that word with if possible.

I just tried a US Mobile SIM in my PP. Trying to activate it, their website says the IMEI is not compatible with their network.  Strike four.

There may be thousands working, but based on the survey they just did that says nothing about the overall percentage of people having trouble. How many have been sold total? Plus there could be policy changes preventing new activations after the latest network reconfiguration...