Problem: Pinephone keyboard key presses not registering
Hello everyone,

Anyone else having problems with key presses registering?  I first noticed it with the backspace/delete button.  I press the button and it doesn't work every time.  It seems out of the keyboard rows, only the top row has this problem.  Here is an example, from the bottom row to the top row I will press a key ten times, here is the result:

[[[[[[[[[[  (10 registered, that's good) Smile
mmmmmmmmmm (another 10 registered)
hhhhhhhhhh (another 10, nothing missed)
tttttttttt (10 again)
5555555 (7 times, three keypresses missed)

Other keys from the top row:

00000 (only half registered)
444444 (6 out of 10 registered).

Is there any easy fix I can do for this at home?  I really don't want to have to return it but I only have a 30 day window to do so.  Is super annoying as my password is made up of numbers for the initial log in screen when Mobian boots up.  When I'm in a terminal entering my password, I can't see the numbers that aren't registering so am getting the password wrong all the time.

Edit: I have just read the important thread about making the top row keys easier to press. I could live with this: it's the key presses not registering at all which is the problem.
>Anyone else having problems with key presses registering?  I first noticed it with the backspace/delete button.

Got my keyboard a the day before yesterday and noticed the same problem, first with backspace, then with other keys in the top row.  At first, the backspace never worked, now it works intermittently or on only some of a series of presses.  Wondering whether it is an issue with the keyboard or its software, my error, or an issue with Manjaro Phosh beta 20, which is what I am currently using.
(01-24-2022, 09:36 AM)vdicarlo Wrote: >Anyone else having problems with key presses registering?  I first noticed it with the backspace/delete button.

Got my keyboard a the day before yesterday and noticed the same problem, first with backspace, then with other keys in the top row.  At first, the backspace never worked, now it works intermittently or on only some of a series of presses.  Wondering whether it is an issue with the keyboard or its software, my error, or an issue with Manjaro Phosh beta 20, which is what I am currently using.

I have returned mine and will get another one sent out so will let you know what happens.
(01-28-2022, 10:22 AM)zimano Wrote:
(01-24-2022, 09:36 AM)vdicarlo Wrote: >Anyone else having problems with key presses registering?  I first noticed it with the backspace/delete button.

I have returned mine and will get another one sent out so will let you know what happens.

Thanks.  It seem from other posts that it is a mechanical issue, and someone is offering shims that seem to fix the problem, but it would be helpful to know whether all keyboards suffer the defect or just some of them.  I will keep my keyboard and maybe shim it.  Seems like less bother and more interesting than returning it.  I am using it with a nonpro convergence edition Pinephone (NPPC, NPPPCE?) and due to the improved battery life from the keyboard the combination, even though I don't use it as a telephone, now does what I most needed it for--to be a compace backup device to display slides and link to the internet in case the laptop I use to teach a class fails.
(01-24-2022, 03:19 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Thanks.  It seem from other posts that it is a mechanical issue, and someone is offering shims that seem to fix the problem, but it would be helpful to know whether all keyboards suffer the defect or just some of them.

I have ordered two keyboards and one of them only had battery connection when I have pushed back plate near pogo pins (keyboard itself worked) while my other keyboard works well so far without the need of pushing it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Case for Pinephone totilele 13 6,986 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: gramonyl
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,607 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 7,658 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 606 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 408 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,082 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 434 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,194 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 496 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 600 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM