PinePhone keyboard manual
We forgot to include the PinePhone keyboard manual in early shipments. We're very sorry about this.

You can find the digital version of the manual here
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

The link Luke posted is broken. Until he updates the post, here's a link to the manual (though it may be outdated): https://files.pine64.org/doc/PinePhone/U...-FR-ES.pdf
The manual (or at least the version of it that I linked to) says "Charge the PinePhone only via the keyboard’s USB-C port. When coupled with the keyboard, the PinePhone’s USB-C is to be used solely for data and peripherials."

@Luke How are we supposed to use the PinePhone to a computer for data transfer without allowing it to charge?
(01-11-2022, 11:16 PM)NoahAndrews Wrote: When coupled with the keyboard, the PinePhone’s USB-C is to be used solely for data and peripherials."

@Luke How are we supposed to use the PinePhone to a computer for data transfer without allowing it to charge?

.... And, uh, what if you already charged the PinePhone Pro directly with the keyboard case mounted because your case didn't come with instructions and you didn't think to check for a manual until after you've already done it?

... I only did this for about 5 minutes and nothing seems to be broken, but I'll make sure to do it 'right' from here on out.
As kind of a follow up, it seems like when I am plugged into the keyboard, with the phone in the keyboard case, the phone is losing charge.

I don't really know if the keyboard battery is doing anything at all Smile I poked the button once to try and make sure its 'on' but of course there doesn't seem to be any indication of on-ness. Some hints on how this is supposed to work would be really helpful ... Or have I already broken the poor thing? Tongue
(01-27-2022, 06:04 PM)Tanabi Wrote: As kind of a follow up, it seems like when I am plugged into the keyboard, with the phone in the keyboard case, the phone is losing charge.

I don't really know if the keyboard battery is doing anything at all Smile  I poked the button once to try and make sure its 'on' but of course there doesn't seem to be any indication of on-ness.  Some hints on how this is supposed to work would be really helpful ...  Or have I already broken the poor thing? Tongue

Single press to turn on, double press to turn off.
Charging activity should be visible where ever you usually sees it
(Some have reported issues with the pogo pins not contacting properly (I have not had any such issues))

(01-28-2022, 10:47 AM)talpa Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 06:04 PM)Tanabi Wrote: As kind of a follow up, it seems like when I am plugged into the keyboard, with the phone in the keyboard case, the phone is losing charge.

I don't really know if the keyboard battery is doing anything at all Smile  I poked the button once to try and make sure its 'on' but of course there doesn't seem to be any indication of on-ness.  Some hints on how this is supposed to work would be really helpful ...  Or have I already broken the poor thing? Tongue

Single press to turn on, double press to turn off.
Charging activity should be visible where ever you usually sees it
(Some have reported issues with the pogo pins not contacting properly (I have not had any such issues))

Oddly enough the wiki states a long press to turn it off: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(Pro)_Keyboard
When using the convergence dock with Pinephone in the keyboard case, the dock should be plugged into the phone USB-C, but where should the external USB-C power supply be plugged into?  The keyboard USB-C port or the convergence dock USB-C power input?

Is either scenario safe prior to power management software being developed?  Is the PM software being developed assuming one configuration or another?  
With solely Pinephone branded accessories it is possible for the phone to have 4 power supplies at the same time.  2 battery, 2 external.  
Just looking for any unambiguous way to safely have 1 external supply powering the phone and dock, even if it demands removing a battery or 2.

Re: keyboard key shims.  I just noticed that the ID of the shims here https://avery.cafe/blog/a-quick-fix-for-...s-top-row/ are very close in diameter to the 1/4" hole size of Avery 5729 hole punch rings.  The OD is a bit large but can probably be trimmed square with a blade once it is on the keycap.  I haven't tried this yet.  They are also available in plastic, or 13mm OD which might have 6mm ID.
If someone has a guilotine paper cutter they could trim several sheets of the rings to key sized squares fairly quickly. Shipping a partial sheet of trimmed ring shims inserted in the manual with new keyboard orders might help a bit to mitigate complaints from current keyboard stock.

If you look up a few threads it seems like the default power supply is a bit low but you can change that value. Look at the "Phone is charging slowly" section here for how to change the value. https://xnux.eu/pinephone-keyboard/faq.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,210 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,517 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 521 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,517 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,902 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,111 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 447 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 562 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM