ROOT
On my PinePhone Beta Edition whit Manjaro CE i can't use ROOT.

Can you help me?
You'll have to tell us exactly what you tried, and what happened, before we can give any sensible suggestions.
Try:
Code:
sudo su

If that doesn't work:
Code:
su

Both of which are highly discouraged, especially if you're new to Linux.
If you need root rights for 1 command, just use "sudo (whatever command)", this is the least harmful way to execute commands as root.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-03-2022, 04:04 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: On my PinePhone Beta Edition whit Manjaro CE i can't use ROOT.

Can you help me?
pinephone images are rooted by default.

maybe some users are expecting magisk like su binary which puts fancy animations and u.i. when needed and used. btw, googoole has seized one developer to develop magisk software, because that developer works for googoogle.

pinephone uses linux model, which is chosen usually by two options. root user model, sudo model. in root user model, root user is different with different password. where sudo model ordinary user's password is given to give temporary root access (user needs to belong sudo group). almost all pinephone images uses sudo model. (both could be used by some distros).

(01-03-2022, 09:27 PM)ryo Wrote: Try:
Code:
sudo su

If that doesn't work:
Code:
su

Both of which are highly discouraged, especially if you're new to Linux.
If you need root rights for 1 command, just use "sudo (whatever command)", this is the least harmful way to execute commands as root.

btw, hyphen-l is recommended. root environment variables are usually different from user env.

Code:
if ordinary user belongs to the sudo group:
$ sudo su -l

if root user is activated:
# su -l
(01-03-2022, 10:15 PM)zetabeta Wrote: btw, googoole has seized one developer to develop magisk software, because that developer works for googoogle.

Not really, John Wu still work for Google (Android security division) and still working on Magisk.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
(01-03-2022, 04:04 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: On my PinePhone Beta Edition whit Manjaro CE i can't use ROOT.

Can you help me?

[Image: ROOT-ERROR.jpg]

I use PINEPHONE Beta Edition with Manjaro CE.

I did an operating system upgrade but after about 1 minute it went into hibernation and stopped everything

And now I can no longer give any ROOT command

[Image: ROOT-ERROR.jpg]
(01-06-2022, 10:44 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: [quote="CavRic-1974" pid="104549" dateline="1641204288"]
I did an operating system upgrade but after about 1 minute it went into hibernation and stopped everything

Sounds like your OS installation got corrupted.
What's on my mind is to re-install the OS itself, although I wonder, is "gatto" an account you created by yourself?
Can you log into root using "su" (so without "sudo")?
Do you have a dock for the PinePhone/did you buy it at $149 or $199?
If yes (so if you have the $199 one), do you have a spare USB keyboard?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-06-2022, 06:43 PM)ryoI also think the OS is corrupt :-( Wrote: I cannot log in to root using "su".
I have a dock for the PinePhone bought for $ 199.
Yes, I have keyboard to attach to the dock.

I downloaded the file

Manjaro-ARM-xfce-pine64-lts-21.12.img.xz

But I don't know how to flashing it to my PinePhone.

I don't have an SD card.
On my PC I have the Linux Mint operating system.
[Image: MyPC.png]

(01-06-2022, 10:44 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 04:04 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: I did an operating system upgrade but after about 1 minute it went into hibernation and stopped everything

Sounds like your OS installation got corrupted.
What's on my mind is to re-install the OS itself, although I wonder, is "gatto" an account you created by yourself?
Can you log into root using "su" (so without "sudo")?
Do you have a dock for the PinePhone/did you buy it at $149 or $199?
If yes (so if you have the $199 one), do you have a spare USB keyboard?
(01-07-2022, 02:03 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: I cannot log in to root using "su".
I have a dock for the PinePhone bought for $ 199.
Yes, I have keyboard to attach to the dock.

For some reason, I totally forgot why I asked these questions. (汗)
I know I did so to check if it can be repaired without having to re-install the OS, but well, I still can't remember.

(01-07-2022, 02:03 AM)CavRic-1974 Wrote: I downloaded the file

Manjaro-ARM-xfce-pine64-lts-21.12.img.xz

But I don't know how to flashing it to my PinePhone.

I don't have an SD card.

You'll need to get an SD card then, just an 8 GB one is enough, and they're very cheap these days.
Although 32 GB is recommended for the lazy ones (because you'll need to resize the partition after installation, which is unnecessary with a 32 GB SD card).
Also, don't install with the file you downloaded, that one isn't for PinePhone.

You can also skip on the partition resize step by installing Mobian because that one comes with an installation GUI, which as a bonus gives you the option for disk encryption.
For the rest of the instruction manual: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...structions

This guide seems very unhelpful if you do it for the first time (I thought like that too, and I'm using Linux for almost my entire life), but if you follow it closely, you'll see pretty quick that it's actually very easy.
And a bit of distro hopping later, you'll know how to do it by memory.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Yesterday I bought a MicroSD card and a reader on Amazon.
They will arrive today or tomorrow, then I will try the system you suggested to me.
Stay tuned! Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pcmanfm root permission error Dinosaur1946 4 2,705 01-11-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Where is the fix for CVE-2021-31698 (Code execution as root via AT commands)? Timeo 1 1,650 12-08-2021, 04:23 AM
Last Post: wibble