What Pine64 do I own?
I have a Pine64 UBports edition. I have a few questions I am willing to research on my own, but I am not sure exactly what I have in my hand. Is there a build number that I can look up, or some other way to determine what is in my phone, and what hardware and software is compatible?

As an example, my telecom carrier is going to shut off their 3G equipment very soon. I need to know if I have VoLTE enabled, or if I need to get a new phone.

Thank you for the help.
J.W.
All PinePhones have basically the same hardware, but there have been some revisions of the mainboard to fix certain issues. Check out the wiki section about the PinePhone's hardware revisions. If you have the Ubports edition, you have v1.2 (which was followed by v1.2a and v1.2b). The modem is capable of VoLTE in any case.
PinePhone only doesn't support 2G (which is already phased out in most places anyway) and 5G (which no phone currently supports, the "5G ready" phones are like how the "Vista ready" PCs were back in 2006/2007).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-29-2021, 07:45 AM)ryo Wrote: PinePhone only doesn't support 2G (which is already phased out in most places anyway) and 5G (which no phone currently supports, the "5G ready" phones are like how the "Vista ready" PCs were back in 2006/2007).

The PinePhone/EG25 modem does support 2G (GSM) which is still a common fallback in many places if 4G is not available (especially now that 3G is being phased out more and more). Spec sheet can be found here.
5G it does not support indeed, but I'm not sure I get what you mean by saying no phone currently supports it ... 5G is already available and there are phones that can make use of it.
pinephone supports gsm, umts, lte and volte. practically speaking for the future, we can forget gsm and umts (2g,3g) networks. some countries have disabled gsm and others umts network, some areas have disabled both. volte is practically mandatory. support for volte is partial in some cases. carriers blame manufacturers and manufacturers blame carriers for volte support. let's just hope that your carrier supports pinephone's volte.

5g, which is "new radio". nr has two modes, non-standalone and standalone mode. current implementation of nr is nr-non-sa mode, which is like adding new frequency bands into lte. nr-non-sa cannot function without lte's signalling, which means that nr-non-sa needs to connect to a lte cell tower first, thus cannot be forced nr only. nr-sa can operate alone without lte.

vonr (voice over nr) is similar than volte, but for nr-sa. i hope vonr won't be screwup like volte is of now.

pinephone does not support nr, both nr-non-sa and nr-sa.
(12-29-2021, 03:35 PM)kqlnut Wrote: 5G it does not support indeed, but I'm not sure I get what you mean by saying no phone currently supports it ... 5G is already available and there are phones that can make use of it.

What they call "5G" is really 4G LTE Advance.
People like Rob Braxman even stated that ( https://odysee.com/@RobBraxmanTech:6 linking separately because the "@" sign breaks the BBCode tag).
And people disassembling a "5G phone" only to find out there's no 5G anywhere to be found.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PPkeyboard oddities with top row characters on "dreemurrs-embedded / Pine64-Arch" Jeremiah Roise 1 1,169 03-26-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: drh
  Shout Out to Pine64 and Terminal_Heat_Sink drh 0 909 03-26-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: drh
  pine64 keyboard pogo 'no-go' pins --- 3 2,478 04-29-2022, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Humid Stylus
  SDR pine64 Manjaro Desodo 8 6,648 01-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Endless crashes on Pine64 received today luciphercolors 4 5,508 11-24-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity