Modem problems with the distros I tried
Question 
Hey there,
I've been trying to use my pinephone as a daily driver, but whatever distro I try, I am always experiencing issues with Cellular Data.
I for example tried Manjaro ARM, but sending sms didn't work (It just refused to send them). I recently tried PMPOS as well, but cellular data and calling (probably even sms at this point) didn't work.
How come that these pinephone distros have some weird problem with the modem?
What distros can You recommend in which the above worked flawlessly?
Thank You!
I don't know about PMOS, but if you are having modem issues across distros, they might be related to your carrier. Some are reported to have issues with sending SMS over VoLTE, see here for a workaround.
If you want to try another distro (which I would do, at least to see if your issues persist across distros), you could try Mobian Phosh. It seems to be pretty stable. I have been running Manjaro Phosh unstable for a couple of months now and it's working really well currently.
(12-28-2021, 04:28 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I don't know about PMOS, but if you are having modem issues across distros, they might be related to your carrier. Some are reported to have issues with sending SMS over VoLTE, see here for a workaround.
If you want to try another distro (which I would do, at least to see if your issues persist across distros), you could try Mobian Phosh. It seems to be pretty stable. I have been running Manjaro Phosh unstable for a couple of months now and it's working really well currently.

I have no clue, if it's related, but in plasma-mobile I've gotten a message warning me that the "modem shows no carrier", though I've seen posts telling me that I should just ignore that.
(12-28-2021, 04:28 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I don't know about PMOS, but if you are having modem issues across distros, they might be related to your carrier. Some are reported to have issues with sending SMS over VoLTE, see here for a workaround.

Well it worked, that's great!
One thing is still not fully right yet: People can't call me on my Pinephone, I can only call them - How would one solve that?
Oh I realised something: Disabling IMS apparently forces *calls* and SMS to be sent into the 2G network (That's how I understood it anyways), but here where I live the 2G (and apparently also 3G, the PP can't find it at least) networks has been disabled.
The weird thing is that calls have never been working at all...

I might be absolutely wrong here, but I think this is what's happening.
How would you solve it though...
Strange, the PMOS, Arch/Dremurs, Mobian operating systems are all working "Out of the Box" on all of my original Pine phones.

Perhaps something in your set up procedure ?

For talk & text everything just works "Out of the Box" ===> then add the correct APN info for data to work.

>> MMS text currently only works with manual set-up, -- but will work out of the box, Soon.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
... with Mobian, PMOS, and Arch/Phosh/Dremurs,  I have had the best results leaving the default

"2G, 3G, 4G (Preferred)"  in the 'Network Mode' settings.  ( just my experiences )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
For me, UBPorts works really well, and I take the phone between two countries.
Surprisingly it's now finally working in manjaro phosh! Thanks to you all!
(02-21-2022, 09:24 AM)UltraBlack_ Wrote: Surprisingly it's now finally working in manjaro phosh! Thanks to you all!

I have the Majaro Community edition. I have never been able to get to connect to data, but been running UB Ports. I see there was a massive update to Manjaro Phosh. I will have to give it a test to see if it will connect now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modem white list aular 7 655 02-13-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: aular
  qcell modem id aular 6 634 01-15-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: aular
  Temporary fix for Modem Not Coming Back on in SXMO Postmarketos Pinephone kebab 2 1,995 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: kebab
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,181 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Udating the firm,ware? Potential problems? KNERD 2 823 06-12-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  Modem gets disabled on every suspend jojuma 5 1,669 03-27-2023, 02:51 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Modem audio settings jack1 2 1,217 02-04-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: jack1
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,945 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  Modem disabled, can't enable: Invalid transition pac 4 3,371 03-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Firewave
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,511 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz