call immediately terminated
Hi, I'm just setting up my pinephone beta, and I'm having some trouble making calls. When I try, the call immediately ends, in less than a second. When I go to settings, I can see that the phone is detecting the sim card and the local cell network. I've tried this in manjaro and mobian, and the symptom is the same. I am able to send a receive text messages using this sim card, at least in mobian. The sim card I'm using is from an iphone, which I've previously used at this same location. Are there any thoughts on what might cause an issue like this?
I had the same issue for a day or so. I think it was this package[1] and @Danct12  fix it quickly.

[1] https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...-pinephone
Thanks! I just tried archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20211212.img.xz on a different SD card, and  the problem was the same. That image is from two days ago. Is the package fix more recent than that?
I just tried postmarkOS with phosh, and the effect was the same. The call terminated almost immediately, before it even rang. It seems unlikely at this point that it's a software issue.

Has anyone tried swapping the SIM card from an iphone into a pinephone? I'm starting to wonder if that's the issue.
My daily driver has a sim card that started in an iphone, > moved to a BLu phone, >moved to the Pinephone Brave Heart Edition, >now in a PMOS Pinephone.

This sim card came in an AT&T iphone.

Mine works using most of todays operating systems listed here on the forum.

( Customer Service kinda sucks @ AT&T though, PureTalk has Great Customer Service, and they resell AT&T carrier services for about 1/2 the cost of AT&T, and offer 'Hot Spot service')

My daily driver is on 'AT&T PrePaid', while I do have 3 "Test" Pinephones on PureTalk.

1) Mobian, 2) Arch/Phosh/Dremurs, and 3) Post Market/Phosh OS, .. all 3 work pretty well just "Out of the Box",

But Mobian is the Best choice for "GUI Users" No Doubt.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
What happens when you get an incoming call ?

You said text 'works' on Mobian ?

> If you do not fill-in anything for the APN setting, that will only affect "cellular data and mms text", which no OS supports mms text yet 'out of the box'.

Did you do "Updates" after setting-up the OS on your phone ?

Last night my D.D. phone with Mobian Bookworm required 4 seperate 'updates'.
(each update had different contents in it.)

>Open Software Store, 'Updates' shows 'available updates'... then view the updates... > download/restart
That was the first time I have seen more than one update in a single day, (perhaps it was support for the following updates ?)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
When I get an incoming call, the person calling me goes directly to voicemail, and my phone never registers that a call was attempted.

Today I tried swapping in the sim card from my partner's iphone. I got a message that said "Can't place calls, no voice compatible modem available". I have  not seen this message before. However, despite this message I was able to make an outgoing call (which, of course was under my partner's phone number).

Both of these experiments were under mobian. I am able to get texts in mobian. I have not attempted texting under the other OSs. I could easily do so if we think that would be informative.

Could there be some meaningful difference between the sim card from my old iphone and from my partner's iphone? We're both using verizon. However, her phone is much newer. Have sim cards changed in the past few years? We also have different types of plans. Could that matter?

With each of the OSs, I've immediately done a system update, except with postmarkOS. Although, mobian is saying that there's a new update. I'll do that now and report back.

And, no luck. The update didn't help.
Have you tried any other Carriers sim cards ?

I could never get a Verizon (or it's resellers) sim cards to work for me.
But all of the AT&T (and resellers) and T-Mobile (+ resellers) sim cards worked with no problems.

I have noticed on this forum, > that many others have not been able to make a Verizon sim card work in their Pinephone ether.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I haven't tried other carriers. However, it's probably not *just* a carrier issue, since the other sim card I tried was also through verizon. That said, I have also read that verizon isn't particularly pinephone friendly.
There are many "Resellers" of the AT&T and T-Mobile Carrier Services, But they are often 1/2 the price or less of the "Name Brand" carrier.

At Big box and discount stores you can buy a prepaid sim card and a months service including some data for just $15-20 a month,

only buy the next months service if you want.

Test drive your Pinephone on a non-Verizon Carrier. ? * Your choice, maybe someone has a Verizon mod for that ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,231 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  plasma-dialer doesn't call Ant 7 3,809 04-08-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: israel
  poor call quality try flipping switch six D4rkh0rs3 0 1,294 05-12-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: D4rkh0rs3
  Verizon call/text fix syrinx 0 1,307 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Last Post: syrinx
  Phone Rings cant PickUP/Talk or engage call snow season 4 4,751 11-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: snow season
  Any OS for Pinephone have call capability? quixote 17 19,897 02-14-2020, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Alho
  Quck call with Marius from UBPorts Luke 9 9,926 12-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Last Post: VaZso