watching videos on pinephone
One of the main things i use my phone for is watching videos so when i recently got a pinephone i set out to get this working nicely on it.

I installed mobian with phosh on a microsd and that's been really stable for me. This has a videos program built in but it wouldn't play a video i'd downloaded to the phone so i installed mpv since i'm familiar with it on desktop and it's small and simple. This worked great when i went into settings and made it the default for video and music files. The only problem is the default interface and other ones i found were not made for a phone and so it made pausing and changing time difficult with only a touch interface.

Thankfully mpv has a fully scriptable interface so i managed to make a really simple interface by editing the the default file from the mpv github.

It just gives you a time seekbar and a central play/pause button but that's all that's usually needed.

To use this script you need to make a 'mpv.conf' file in the '/home/{username}/.config/mpv/' folder with the line 'osc=no'
This stops the builtin interface from appearing. There must be no spaces in the file and {username} is 'mobian' on mobian.

Then you need to make a folder named 'scripts' in the same folder so that you can put a new file in '/home/{username}/.config/mpv/scripts'

To use my edit of the interface you need to make a file with a .lua extension. I named it 'osc.lua'.
Then copy and paste this code in which is mostly just the same as the original: https://pastebin.com/aTq7Uncb

With this done, anytime you open a video on the pinephone, you'll have a simple interface that will be fully usable with only touch.
To fullscreen the video just double tap somewhere above or to the sides of the play button and seekbar. double tap again to exit fullscreen.

Hopefully this is an easy way to make pinephone a little more normal for daily use. Any improvements are welcome as this is just a simple edit of the osc and I don't very well understand the mpv API. Also i did most of this on desktop and then moved the files to where they needed to be.
Welcome to the community - great first post :-)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Thanks, tried that and it works great! I don't use the phone much for videos but when I did was using VLC before. This seems lighter weight and I like the simpler interface. Kudos!
I'm curious when Pinephone will be able to support voice transfer and music playback.
(12-13-2021, 10:54 AM)Galad Wrote: One of the main things i use my phone for is watching videos so when i recently got a pinephone i set out to get this working nicely on it.

I installed mobian with phosh on a microsd and that's been really stable for me. This has a videos program built in but it wouldn't play a video i'd downloaded to the phone so i installed mpv since i'm familiar with it on desktop and it's small and simple. This worked great when i went into settings and made it the default for video and music files. The only problem is the default interface and other ones i found were not made for a phone and so it made pausing and changing time difficult with only a touch interface.

Have you tried celluloid?  I understand it's kinda a shaell around mpv with a good mobile interface.
(12-11-2022, 09:42 PM)treebeard Wrote: Have you tried celluloid?  I understand it's kinda a shaell around mpv with a good mobile interface.

I tried celluloid myself today and found that the video (for the one mp4 I tested) is pretty choppy (even with GDK_GL=gles) and very blue.  I found a workaround for the blue by using a video filter but that made the lag way worse.

After adding "opengl-es=yes" to mpv.conf that same video worked fine with mpv.  Your script made the controls easier to use on a phone.

I tried a variety of things but never could get around various OpenGL issues with the included totem player.

mpv wins the day!
I use Clapper on mobian. Low CPU usage and a nice graphical interface!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,062 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,476 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Record videos with OG PP trough GUI interface today alaraajavamma 7 1,337 10-14-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton