Best Messaging client for pinephone? (arch-phosh)
Jami https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-client-gnome
I have Dino (XMPP) installed and it is mobile friendly. It's very simple to use and fits my screen without problems.
Does Jami work on your PP? I managed to install Jami-gnome on mine. Then I installed on my wife’s iPhone. I managed to add her account and to receive a message, but when I tried to write her I could not type or even get the cursor in the message-typing-field…?!

I also tried installing the newer jami version (not gnome) via snap, which worked, but then jami did not open.
(01-01-2022, 10:15 AM)LittleStone Wrote: Does Jami work on your PP? I managed to install Jami-gnome on mine. Then I installed on my wife’s iPhone. I managed to add her account and to receive a message, but when I tried to write her I could not type or even get the cursor in the message-typing-field…?!

I also tried installing the newer jami version (not gnome) via snap, which worked, but then jami did not open.

I have not tried "Jami" yet. I'll check that out. I think others were using "Siskin" on iPhone for XMPP.

Gajim community version is working fine so far and is very mobile friendly. I have used it for everything including SMS via my JMP.Chat VoIP account. I can make regular telephone calls out to landlines and other cell phones, but can't receive for some reason at the moment. I have been using my XMPP JMP.Chat account ($2.99 per month) with the Cheogram.apk app from JMP.Chat on an Android and it works like any normal phone with wifi, ethernet, and cell tower. You just have to input the contact before you call it which is no problem for me. You can receive any call/SMS/images from anywhere. It's all over the XMPP system and can be used with a vpn.

If I can just figure out how to receive calls via Gajim then I am set up well on PinePhone.
I wanted to ask brb78 who mentioned Jami but didn’t quote, sorry.
(01-01-2022, 12:26 PM)LittleStone Wrote: I wanted to ask  brb78 who mentioned Jami but didn’t quote, sorry.

I installed Jami and and looked at the website. I don't see that I can use my existing JMP.Chat or my XMPP account with it. I'll email them to be sure.

Right now, Gajim community version is further along on my phone than other apps I have looked at, but I am open to anything to get JMP.Chat to be fully working. That would save me money in monthly subscription and I don't have to buy Android phones every two or three years. Phones have gotten very expensive. JMP.Chat and XMPP, in my opinion, is more secure especially with a vpn. I've done JMP.Chat voice calls with a multi-hop (through two encrypted servers) vpn to landlines and cell phones. I've received call backs and incoming SMS through the same servers. I can change the servers to single or multi-hop with my vpn service. It depends on how busy the servers are. I have good call service and it is consistent. I read an article that 80% of the companies are using VoIP.
(01-01-2022, 12:52 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I installed Jami and and looked at the website. I don't see that I can use my existing JMP.Chat or my XMPP account with it. I'll email them to be sure.

Simply because Jami isn't an XMPP client, it's its own protocol.
My own experience with Jami is:
1. The GTK version freezes all the time.
2. The Android version is seemingly unable to communicate with Jami users that aren't using Android.
3. The iOS version is so difficult to use, I had to ask friends for screenshots all the time to know how they can add me.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
For experimentation purposes, I have Waydroid installed. I installed the "Cheogram.apk" Android app from JMP.Chat (XMPP) on Waydroid and can make and receive calls (landlines and cell phones) and SMS. It can be a bit slow at times, but it is working. The DTMF pad works, too. On my phone, I went into Android settings and changed the screen display settings to "smallest" to get the entire app on the screen. That way, the DTMF pad shows up just like on my OEM Android phone. My phone is the version before the PinePhone Pro. Cheogram would be the perfect XMPP app for PinePhone. You have to ask for the app link at the JMP.Chat forum. You don't need a JMP.Chat account to use the app for messaging. Cheogram was forked from "Conversations" (Android app), but Cheogram has the DTMF pad, etc. to work with JMP.Chat service.

Right now, the ringtone rings on the internal speaker. I'm looking into that. If someone else had this happen, please let me know if you fixed it and how. Thanks.

Last time I checked F-Droid (free open source Android apps), Conversations (XMPP messenger) was there. Conversations would be a good test subject for Waydroid. You can use Conversations for just XMPP messenging. I used it on Android and it was great.

If anyone tries this and can make things even faster or has advice for that, please post here. Thanks.
(01-04-2022, 04:42 PM)tk1107 Wrote: For experimentation purposes, I have Waydroid installed. I installed the "Cheogram.apk" Android app from JMP.Chat (XMPP) on Waydroid and can make and receive calls (landlines and cell phones) and SMS. It can be a bit slow at times, but it is working. The DTMF pad works, too. On my phone, I went into Android settings and changed the screen display settings to "smallest" to get the entire app on the screen. That way, the DTMF pad shows up just like on my OEM Android phone. My phone is the version before the PinePhone Pro. Cheogram would be the perfect XMPP app for PinePhone. You have to ask for the app link at the JMP.Chat forum. You don't need a JMP.Chat account to use the app for messaging. Cheogram was forked from "Conversations" (Android app), but Cheogram has the DTMF pad, etc. to work with JMP.Chat service.

Right now, the ringtone rings on the internal speaker. I'm looking into that. If someone else had this happen, please let me know if you fixed it and how. Thanks.

Last time I checked F-Droid (free open source Android apps), Conversations (XMPP messenger) was there. Conversations would be a good test subject for Waydroid. You can use Conversations for just XMPP messenging. I used it on Android and it was great.

If anyone tries this and can make things even faster or has advice for that, please post here. Thanks.

Where is the jmp.chat forum? Would love to get the cheogram.apk to get the dialer.
(02-06-2022, 02:48 PM)lexlinux Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 04:42 PM)tk1107 Wrote: For experimentation purposes, I have Waydroid installed. I installed the "Cheogram.apk" Android app from JMP.Chat (XMPP) on Waydroid and can make and receive calls (landlines and cell phones) and SMS. It can be a bit slow at times, but it is working. The DTMF pad works, too. On my phone, I went into Android settings and changed the screen display settings to "smallest" to get the entire app on the screen. That way, the DTMF pad shows up just like on my OEM Android phone. My phone is the version before the PinePhone Pro. Cheogram would be the perfect XMPP app for PinePhone. You have to ask for the app link at the JMP.Chat forum. You don't need a JMP.Chat account to use the app for messaging. Cheogram was forked from "Conversations" (Android app), but Cheogram has the DTMF pad, etc. to work with JMP.Chat service.

Where is the jmp.chat forum? Would love to get the cheogram.apk to get the dialer.

Sorry about the delay. I didn't get the auto notification for this thread. The website is: https://anonymous.cheogram.com/discuss@c...soprani.ca

Ask for the link to the Cheogram.apk app. It may take a little time for a response live online sometimes, but they will answer the question. I still have the ringtone going off in the earpiece only. Otherwise, everything else seems fine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stuck between phosh and plasma aular 0 158 02-27-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: aular
  Updating Arch Linux _radv_ 8 558 02-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,043 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 637 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to find software app, on Arch Phosh? general_lee 5 1,793 10-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Arch auto mount usb example Lazy_one 2 2,760 10-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Arch with FDE user641 1 834 07-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: alpineduck
  No keyboard on Arch Plasma when entering password on document Chief 0 797 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Curious About Arch Ferriah 2 2,052 11-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Latest version Arch Plasma looks good. Chief 5 2,306 10-23-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Chief