Best Messaging client for pinephone? (arch-phosh)
(12-03-2021, 08:08 PM)3np Wrote: Have you shopped around recently? gomuks is lightweight and decently feature-complete. You shouldn't have to compromise on encryption at all. The client situation continues to improve.

For closed devices, fluffychat has been getting popular as well.

As for the server-side, dendrite's getting ready to be production-ready and conduit will get there as well.

IMO XMPP and Matrix are the only two satisfactory and realistic solutions for IM. Compared to the status quo, I am happy with either. So it makes sense to have a client  for both, and then you can prefer and default whichever after having tried both. Personally that'll be Matrix, but I'll always accept XMPP. We need to meet somewhere.

And BTW, having your main Signal account through the bridge has been supported for a long time now. It bridges with signald.

I think I was a little bit too general here.
I tried gomuks before, nice TUI app, but the lack of being able to upload files (at least through copy/paste) made me stop using it.
Other than that, I really liked it.

As for Fluffychat, last time I used it, the font was all squares only.
Installed it again to check, seems like they're getting close to fixing it.
[Image: zF5yS9L.png]

I'm waiting for Dentrite to implement encryption, are you aware of any advances in this regard?

As for a client that allows you to use both, the first thing that comes to mind is Pidgin, although there's no OTR (encryption used in Matrix) support yet.
Both are open source standards, so eventually we'll have a fully featured client that handles both.
The KDE team is creating 2 separate clients for each of them, would have made more sense to have them both in 1.

Matrix has lots of potential, but there are still red flags (most of its users are on Matrix.org, Matrix.org uses CloudFlare and Google reCaptcha, meta data leakages, 1 company dictates the direction of Matrix rather than letting a grassroots community make it flow naturally etc).
I do appreciate the efforts they make fixing those issues, but for now I'd consider XMPP to be the PeerTube of chat protocols, while Matrix would be the Odysee of chat protocols; so either completely decentralized with no authority involved but fewer users and older, or 1 major flagship centralized platform with pretty much everyone on it on top of a decentralized protocol but more users and newer.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Messaging client for pinephone? (arch-phosh) - by ryo - 12-03-2021, 09:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stuck between phosh and plasma aular 0 229 02-27-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: aular
  Updating Arch Linux _radv_ 8 823 02-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,249 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 780 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to find software app, on Arch Phosh? general_lee 5 1,945 10-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Arch auto mount usb example Lazy_one 2 2,865 10-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Arch with FDE user641 1 908 07-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: alpineduck
  No keyboard on Arch Plasma when entering password on document Chief 0 849 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Curious About Arch Ferriah 2 2,142 11-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Latest version Arch Plasma looks good. Chief 5 2,433 10-23-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Chief